Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best takeaway/chipper in Co Cork?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Barties in Ballyphehane all the way, portions are huge!

Chish n Fips in Crosser have gone downhill bigtime, a small chips from Barties is nearly twice the size of their large chips, its a shame really!

+1 for Dino's in Kinsale, lovely grub in fairness and decent portions!

Lennox's in Carrigaline gone downhill in recnt years aswell.

Never tried KC's in Dougls, the queue puts me off everytime.

I'll have to try Dino's in Douglas, sounds good!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭gfgfgf14

pizza house mitchelstown

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

murph226 wrote: »
    Barties in Ballyphehane all the way, portions are huge!

Chish n Fips in Crosser have gone downhill bigtime, a small chips from Barties is nearly twice the size of their large chips, its a shame really!

+1 for Dino's in Kinsale, lovely grub in fairness and decent portions!

Lennox's in Carrigaline gone downhill in recnt years aswell.

I'll have to try Dino's in Douglas, sounds good!

Surely a place that has large queue's like that is worth investigating as the food must be good ?
    Golden Fry -Ballinlough
    Murphys - Near Blackpool.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Lennox's and Dino's are great, lovely decent chips. That €10 deal in Dinos is unreal, nearly everytime I'm inside there in Blackpool, most of the people are eating double dino meals!

Best onion rings has to go to the chipper up the road from me, LJ's - proper battered covered onion rings. Some nice chippers in Mallow as well, Downtown is pretty good, nice chips in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

murph226 wrote: »

It moves along like a fast conveyor belt though - you'd be queuing outside and out with your grub within ten minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭chipsdave

jonopat wrote: »
    Leslies Diner, Skibbereen.

fantastic yes ,home made chips hhhmmm, does family specials too ,day we were there 20e for 4 of us drinks and all , just off the Baltimore road roundabout ,western side of the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

RoyMcC wrote: »
    It moves along like a fast conveyor belt though - you'd be queuing outside and out with your grub within ten minutes.

This.

dulpit wrote: »
    This.

Watch their queue cam for proof...

http://www.kcandco.ie/queue_cam.html

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭malascoile

how has noone included the wimpy in fermoy? thats what they all rave about in that town. saying that Enzos is even better, after opening another shop down by centra, not sure if the one at the top of town has closed or not. mighty friday evening grub!

sharons, the old wimpy is shocking altogether.
    enzos down by centra and the wimpy in the square are lovely.
    The owner of enzos is brothers with the fella that owns the wimpy, both Italian. Their mother thought them well

• Registered Users Posts: 22 coxyboy

malascoile wrote: »
    sharons, the old wimpy is shocking altogether.
    enzos down by centra and the wimpy in the square are lovely.
    The owner of enzos is brothers with the fella that owns the wimpy, both Italian. Their mother thought them well

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

The Courthouse chipper Bandon was top class but has been poor on my last 2 visits (soggy fish). There's another small place in Enniskeen"Lantern" (Dunmanway road) I was impressed when the guy had a electronic thermometer to check the temperature inside of a chicken breast, that shows attention to detail, and the chips were the best that I have tasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Satts wrote: »
    I love the lingo used in Ceohanes. If you want a regualar chip you ask for a "bag". If you want a small chip you ask for a "half bag" and if you want a large chip you ask for a "bag and a half". If you want a breast of chicken you ask for a "portion". You will get battered sausages unless you specifically ask for plain ones. Potato pie is just "a pie" and a battered fish is just "a fish"
    Fastest service here I have ever witnessed. All wrapped up in sheets of white paper. Lovely taste, great chips that taste different to the norm, might be the fat they use, wonder is it lard ??? :pac::pac::pac::pac::D
    Portions not huge these days, fish seems to be getting constantly smaller.

Used to work there, it is indeed Frytex lard they use! They used to get the fish fresh too and then batter them individually before cooking but changed around 2 years ago. Now the fish comes already battered and they just cook it, it's still lovely though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 chipperfood

i have eaten in jimi dees or attempted to...their chips were stone cold another time i got a delivery from them and the food againn was stone cold so now go to Yummys..(accross from jimmy dees)..where food is spot on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

i have eaten in jimi dees or attempted to...their chips were stone cold another time i got a delivery from them and the food againn was stone cold so now go to Yummys..(accross from jimmy dees)..where food is spot on

Thats a dirty kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭antlyn

I'm always wary of these first time posters! Drumming up some business perhaps?

antlyn wrote: »

Very apt username isnt it....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

The Lantern in Enniskeane

Tony and Tinos in Macroom (SAVAGE chips)

The Fry in Ballincollig

Three of the best chippers west of the city. Honorable mention to Mags in Coachford too. Also Connie Hurleys in Macroom if youre lucky enough to be there when he's open.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭mossie

Yep. Don't think you're going to register just to praise a chipper unless you've some connection. Had another guy on this thread back on page 2 praising Jimmy Dees, never posted before or since. Seemed like a promo when I first read it even more so now.

Was that the Havin before? Haven't been there in ages. Last time they had good pizza but the burgers, chips etc just the usual. As for Jimmy dees agree 100%, last time I ate there there was a strange smell from the chips (probably whatever fat they were cooked in) and I couldn't even eat them. On the plus side the butger was fine and the chips looked home cut but it's not to my taste overall. I do know people who love it though so it's probably just my taste. TBH haven't been in any chipper for months -cholesterol:( so it could have changed since..

We got a takeout from Jimmy Dees last nite and it was pure muck. I felt like I had ate a pound of Lard...:mad:

• Advertisement

-Corkie- wrote: »
    We got a takeout from Jimmy Dees last nite and it was pure muck. I felt like I had ate a pound of Lard...:mad:

Anyone tried the new one in Kanturk, in the square, "The Diner". Got a dinner box last week, was just one piece of chicken, almost no meat. Was tasty enough but should be more chicken, dinner box usually 3 pieces, probably just a mistake starting off. Chips were just frozen ones.

Had Dino's (in Douglas) yesterday for the first time in a few years (the queue for KC's was huge and it was raining). Smelled lovely inside in Dinos, but the food was decidedly "meh".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 RebelBOK

Oooohh god reading this from New Zealand and am salivating at the taught of all this food. The chippers here are awful and you cant get curry in any of them, as in like a chip and curry! Anyway my fav`s are Dino`s in Bishopstown (the one in Blackpool is awful and also lived in Kinsale for awhile and found that one awful aswell, the chips were always under cooked! Douglas isnt bad though.) Lennox`s on barrack st was good but havn`t been there in 2 years. After a nite of beer in town its hard to beat Hillbilly`s, although i took a shining to the Istanbul on washington st. before i left home, although i did try it one day when i was sober and didnt like it, there and Hillbilly`s are def drunk food imo. Looney`s in mayfield is legendary but not for the faint hearted, would want a few drinks in ya to eat there too come to think of it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

mossie wrote: »
    Anyone tried the new one in Kanturk, in the square, "The Diner". Got a dinner box last week, was just one piece of chicken, almost no meat. Was tasty enough but should be more chicken, dinner box usually 3 pieces, probably just a mistake starting off. Chips were just frozen ones.

The one thats out church street? Yea thats not bad. Theyre burgers are nice but still would prefer Joan Buckleys. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭indenial

The queue to my regular haunt KC's in Douglas was about forty people long down the street Monday night so went to Dinos for the first time and wasn't impressed. Burger must say was delicious, chips average at best and the curry was disgusting. I'll be joining the lengthy queue next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Cheese Princess

Rossis in Charleville....epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Yeah it's still there, it's called Ceohanes or Cahanes. Very nice. No fancy stuff, just chips, chicken, fish and sausages and potatoe pies.
    I love the lingo used in Ceohanes. If you want a regualar chip you ask for a "bag". If you want a small chip you ask for a "half bag" and if you want a large chip you ask for a "bag and a half". If you want a breast of chicken you ask for a "portion". You will get battered sausages unless you specifically ask for plain ones. Potato pie is just "a pie" and a battered fish is just "a fish"
    Fastest service here I have ever witnessed. All wrapped up in sheets of white paper. Lovely taste, great chips that taste different to the norm, might be the fat they use, wonder is it lard ??? :pac::pac::pac::pac::D
    Portions not huge these days, fish seems to be getting constantly smaller.
    Where exactly is Ceohanes? Must try there and the kentucky soon!!
    Main Street. in Midleton, Opposite the Library/Post Office. Greenish front. Odd opening hours, usually posted up.
    dorgasm wrote: »
    Used to work there, it is indeed Frytex lard they use! They used to get the fish fresh too and then batter them individually before cooking but changed around 2 years ago. Now the fish comes already battered and they just cook it, it's still lovely though.

So what exactly is the opening hours in Keohane's?

It used to be open until at least till midnight if not later. Passed there a few times and it was closed. It never opened on Monday as far as I know.

Would love to get the opening hours clarified. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3 congar

U can't beat joan buckleys in kanturk, I went to Daniels a few time, but your waiting ages for food and the fella in there is always shouting at the girls working there. Pizzas are good though. Kebabs are good in yummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭antlyn

Just drove through Bandon earlier and saw there's a Daniel's takeaway, is it the same people that have the Kanturk one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 congar

@antlyn, no its not the same as the daniels in kanturk. i heard the one in kanturk is closing down, that place is always changing.

Advertisement