Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Variable Speed for my Lathe

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 FatimaKid

Alun wrote: »
    .. you can usually tell by the fact that run capacitors are rated at 450V, but start capacitors at 250V and run capacitors are usually lower capacity than run capacitors.

My table saw capacitor is 30uf and rated 420v-470v and now burned out. It has 2 spade connectors (one on each 'terminal').

I received my new capacitor today (30uf rated 450v) but it has 2 spade connectors per 'terminal' . Can I go ahead and install it or have I got the wrong part? :confused:

Jeez, I hope Alun or someone like him is still reading this thread......:o

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Should be OK. Are the connectors are like U-shaped pieces of metal with a spade connector on each 'arm' of the U? I assume this is just for convenience for different wiring configurations where you have two wires coming in and two going out, so just connect each wire to one connector on each terminal and leave the other unused.

Alun wrote: »
    Should be OK. Are the connectors are like U-shaped pieces of metal with a spade connector on each 'arm' of the U? I assume this is just for convenience for different wiring configurations where you have two wires coming in and two going out, so just connect each wire to one connector on each terminal and leave the other unused.

Thanks for the reply Alun. Installed the cap but still have problems - when I run the motor it blows the 13amp fuse in the plug after about half a second. Know anywhere I could bring the motor and NVR for assessment in the Longford area? Not afraid to travel but local would be more convenient.....

No idea I'm afraid :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

FatimaKid wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply Alun. Installed the cap but still have problems - when I run the motor it blows the 13amp fuse in the plug after about half a second. Know anywhere I could bring the motor and NVR for assessment in the Longford area? Not afraid to travel but local would be more convenient.....
    Might the saw need its own 16 amp supply?

• Advertisement

Alun/slowburner - thanks for the replies. Unfortunately the problem was a bit more serious than I thought - motor is banjaxed.:mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Sorry to hear that.

FatimaKid wrote: »
    Alun/slowburner - thanks for the replies. Unfortunately the problem was a bit more serious than I thought - motor is banjaxed.:mad:
    Ouch, sounds expensive! :mad:

Advertisement