Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Printer with USB compatibility

Options
  • 24-05-2011 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

I'm looking to get a printer with an USB port allowing me to print documents (not only images) directly from a USB memory stick / USB flash drive without the need to connect to a computer.
    I'm pretty sure there must be something like that out there, but I can't find it...
    It needs to be relatively fast, all in one is good too, specially scan mode (and scan to usb)

Can anyone recommend anything?

Would really appreciate some advice and guidance in this matter.

Thanks all!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 sarenka

fionny wrote: »

It looks very good and very reasonably priced. I'm sure it would be great for photos! Also I think it prints images only directly from USB drive :-(

I'm more after printing documents in word directly from a USB drive and scanning to USB drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Sorry I misunderstood what you were after... what you are describing will be hard to find I would imagine as they manufacturer would've had to negotiate a license etc with microsoft.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

sarenka wrote: »
    allowing me to print documents (not only images)
    Do you have an iPhone? I ask as most printers can be connected vie WiFi, and you could print documents that way...?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

You cant plug usbkeys in iphones either :P

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    Do you have an iPhone? I ask as most printers can be connected vie WiFi, and you could print documents that way...?

Thanks, unfortunately iPhone won't solve the problem...:-(

I need a machine that can print out documents directly from an USB drive and also scan to USB drive.

I can find many all-in-one allowing scan to USB drive (as pdf) - it must be pretty standard these days.
    Also no problem in finding great printers with "USB Print Direct" option but for images and pdf only...

arrrggghhhh....

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭burrentech

Thanks, unfortunately iPhone won't solve the problem...:-(

I need a machine that can print out documents directly from an USB drive and also scan to USB drive.

I can find many all-in-one allowing scan to USB drive (as pdf) - it must be pretty standard these days.
    Also no problem in finding great printers with "USB Print Direct" option but for images and pdf only...

arrrggghhhh....

The problem with word or other formatted file types is that you'll need a driver installed on the printer to help translate the file (.doc,.docx,odt,etc.) into a format the printer can understand. PDF is essentially an image file. You can easily export or 'save as' your documents as PDF format and place on your memory stick to print.

You want a printer with an inbuilt computer? How much are you willing to spend?

I said iPhone, as they would see the USB/card reader in the printer/scanner, and be able to use it's own software to do stuff. My PX700W can make JPEGs and PDF files, and put them onto USB keys, or onto SD cards.
    I'd say that has something to do with Adobes "PDF" being an open standard. Don't think Microsofts "DOC" is, though. Thus, I don't see any companies touching the *.doc format.

Also, since printers started getting networked easier, there are less standalone printers. You'll need to say how much you'd be willing to spend, as I'd say you'd be looking at the big machine to do what you're looking for. Oh, and don't get one without an LCD screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,918 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

sorry but why from a flash drive? I sell these things retail; the big feature we look at is wireless capability. If you were already part of the wireless network why the need to print from flash? HP printers are also capable of E-Printing.

But hey, I have regular contact with an HP sales rep, the next time I see him I will be sure to ask him about the function, in particular scanning straight to flash drive.

• Advertisement

Ok, thanks all for help and valuable input.
    I should presume then that machine I'm after doesn't exist? ;-)

Of course I could take time and explain why I need to be able print from the drive but I don't think this is really important.
    It's just what it is - I wanted a printer that prints documents in word format straight from the USB drive, so there is no need for a computer....

Thanks again!

Ok, thanks all for help and valuable input.
    I should presume then that machine I'm after doesn't exist? ;-)
    Yes and no. Yes, they'll exist, but they wouldn't be that new. Will look again later.

Advertisement