Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slane 1985 Anyone?

Options
  • 24-05-2011 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭

Bruce Spingsteen played that year, that's well known. But does anyone know who else played as support? I can't find any information on who else played that year.

Hope someone can help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭D1976

I asked the bro there and apparently there was no support for him because he played for over 3 hours and they opened the gates at around 5pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Paging Outlaw Pete.

Outlaw Pete to Gigs & Events please.

Outlaw Pete.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

That's right. Nobody else was on the bill that year.
    Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band.
    That was it.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I seen him at Wembley on that tour and in Sheffield on The Tunnel of Love tour, on both dates he didn't have support, i don't think he ever did as his show's were hitting the 3hr mark

• Registered Users Posts: 25 paulyt33

No support but Dave Fanning did the music beforehand , played alot of u2 ... What a concert that was , memories ahhhhh...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,909 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Bruce Springsteen doesn't have support acts at all.

Himself and one other artist (can't remember who but I think it was Madonna) are the only two not have had support acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

One of the few early Slane concerts that I wasn't at. I don't like Bruce's music. Apparently he was on stage really early e.g. around 5pm and played till after 8pm. Most people I know who were there say it is the best concert they were ever at. The cynic in me has a feeling it was more to do with the clear blue skies and the beer than the quality of the music.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 paulyt33

Yeah it was omne of the best gigs I've been at , and yeah , the blue skies and the beer helped but so what , he played for more than 3 hrs and had the crowd enthralled for the whole show ....Brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Ally Dick wrote: »
    One of the few early Slane concerts that I wasn't at. I don't like Bruce's music. Apparently he was on stage really early e.g. around 5pm and played till after 8pm. Most people I know who were there say it is the best concert they were ever at. The cynic in me has a feeling it was more to do with the clear blue skies and the beer than the quality of the music.

The cynic in you needs a stern talking to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Springsteen hasn't needed or employed a support act since about 1978 (I stand to be corrected on this). June 1st 1985 was an oasis of sunshine in a desert of Irish weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

mars bar wrote: »
    Himself and one other artist (can't remember who but I think it was Madonna) are the only two not have had support acts.
    Iggy pop supported Madonna! and others

Wikipedia shows "celtic woman" as having no support - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slane_Concert
    not sure if you can count that though, not sure if it was a slane gig as you would know it.
    Springsteen hasn't needed or employed a support act since about 1978 (I stand to be corrected on this).
    I had heard he played with the gaslight anthem, and that gaslight anthem "supported him", and wiki shows they did but it was a festival so you probably would not count it, though many might consider slane to be a festival and so expect support.

http://www.idiomag.com/peek/64309/the_gaslight_anthem#/64309/1/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gaslight_Anthem
    At England's Glastonbury Festival on June 27, 2009, Bruce Springsteen joined the band on stage during their performance of "The '59 Sound." Brian Fallon later contributed to Springsteen's headlining set, performing the song "No Surrender." [10] At London's Hard Rock Calling festival on June 28, the band was again joined by Springsteen on stage and again performed "The '59 Sound." As with Glastonbury, Fallon contributed to Springsteen's headlining set and joined him in singing "No Surrender"

http://www.nme.com/news/bruce-springsteen/45673
    The Gaslight Anthem are playing support to Springsteen tomorrow (June 28) at the Hyde Park Calling festival in London, along with James Morrison and the Dave Matthews Band.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭MightyMighty737

Brian just went on and sang No Surrender (and absolutely nailed it!) and Bruce joined them to play The 59 Sound which also occured the day before at Glastonbury. Both concerts were in a festival set up so I wouldn't really consider them support. In the same way when REM, Eddie Vedder or Mike Ness have joined him on stage for a song or two I wouldn't consider them a support act.

As far as I knows Bruce never uses a support act, not when he's playing with the E Street band anyway.

Advertisement