Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature height question?

Options
  • 24-05-2011 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, just wondered of you could help me with the following question...

My colt is standing at 14.2hh at the moment and has just turned two. What will his mature height likely be?

I know it would be a bit of a guesstimate but any help appreciated.

250255_10150263859525412_652815411_9234397_1609865_n.jpg

He's by Lux Z who is 16.2hh and his dam is 15.2hh.

I'm really hoping he'll make 16hh?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

http://www.todayshorse.com/Articles/AnatomyPhysiology/DeterminingMatureHeight.htm

I've got a 5yro who is now 14.2hh, both his mother and his father were 16.1hh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I'm going to make a guess at somewhere between 15hh and 16hh. Honestly it's difficult to tell from a photo and the fact that he's only two.

I think the rump is a good way to tell. Look at the 2 year old rump compared to any other horse. You will notice it's higher. I generally use that to estimate how much higher it has left to grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭twomeys

our guess is around 15.2 to 16h. But this can be dependant on what they were on as a foal and the type of land they are kept on (i.e limestone soil increases bone development). Also the the Dam's breeding is a lot to do with it, for example is her breeding pony cross horse or full horse on both sides.

Do you have the Dams history?

Regards,

Eoghan

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I'd say you're looking at him growing to around 15.2hh. As twomeys has said, a lot will depend on his dam's breeding.

Also, can you remember if he was big/small as a foal? That can give you an idea, although a big foal doesn't always result in a big horse. Also, comparing him to other horses of the same age can give you an idea, too, as will the height difference between his withers and rump.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

His dam is by Radolin 16.2hh, His grand dam is by Coevers Diamond Boy and her dam was by Master Imp (Pretty sure I have that right!) So yes, full horse on all sides.

He has been on Roscommon/Galway soil all his life so hopefully the Limestone content will have done him good in developing strong bones and help him to grow tall :)

Comparing his rump and withers, he looks pretty even right now, but has done so all his life since he was a foal. He did come quite a small foal but he was born two weeks early so I put some of his small size down to that.

Oh I do hope he makes 16hh at least! Someone else said something about measuring the top part of the leg and the bottom, the difference in inches is the amount he has left to grow...?? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 pearliewhite

I'd say 15.2 at the most. usually seems to be limited by the dam - look up Walton and Hammond's experiment with the shires and shetlands( we did this in college and it's fairly interesting) . But sure there're always exceptions to the rule so hope he stretches out to 16hh for you- he's a nice looking colt! My colt was around 14hh at 2 and he's about 14.2hh now at just over 3 . His dam was 14.2/14.3hh and sire was 15.2hh.

Advertisement