Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 core ran for hkc sabb

Options
  • 24-05-2011 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

ok so i have only got a 4 core cable for hkc sabb. Hkc advised me to wire up ext bell + and - and int bell + and - as per diagram. leave the resistor in panel but insert wire from bho in panel to aux neg in panel. lights not flashing in normal mode and siren not ringing when in alarm. What have i misunderstood from the instructions given?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Irish Fire

What way are the LED's flashing?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭bryanbal

they are not flashing at all in normal mode. the three leds flash together when in alarm mode but no sound.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Lets say like this
    Panel SABB
    External + >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> External + Strobe +
    External - >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> External -
    Strobe - >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Strobe -
    BHO >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> BHO
    Leave resistor across BHO & TR

thanks koolkid

so i leave both resistors in and split the wire from panel ext + at sabb end and use it to power ext + and strobe+?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Correct on the power + but only one resistor in the panel only across BHO & TR.

• Advertisement

ok so the sabb sounds and all 3 leds flash when in alarm but in normal mode the first led remains on while the third one flashes. is it possible to get it to work as normal.

Panel >>>>>>>>>>>SABB
    BHO >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> BHO

returned to site after posting and somehow it is now working.:confused:

Hopefully it stays that way. Any hassles , you know where we are.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

bryanbal wrote: »
    ok so the sabb sounds and all 3 leds flash when in alarm but in normal mode the first led remains on while the third one flashes. is it possible to get it to work as normal.

Panel >>>>>>>>>>>SABB
    BHO >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> BHO

This happens when the tamper switch on the box is open. The switch is at the bottom right of the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

The bad thing about leaving the resistor in the panel is it wont set off the alarm if the bell is tampered with. I would do the tamper as normal BLUE YELLOW with the resistor in the bell wired as it should be and loop the strobe and external bell together with the RED BLACK off the external bell in the panel.

• Advertisement

Then the strobe will cut out with the external bell.
    I would prefer the strobe to continue after the bell time has elapsed.

I would rather give the bell the protection it needs since it is installed outside the protected area.

Thats one way of putting it. However the bell will still activate if the power is removed. If the bell is attacked it is going to be silenced either way. If after that they are entering the property the alarm will activate also. At this level monitoring is the most important.
    My point here would be that after the bells stop after the required time I would like attention still to be drawn to the property.
    Probably down to personal preference really.;)

The alarm system wont know the bell has being tampered with so wont activate if the resistor is not fitted in the bell. That is the reason it is fitted in the bell rather than in the control panel.
    If the system is monitored then neither will the monitoring station as the alarm has not picked up on the tamper of the bell.
    If the resistor was fitted correctly in the bell then the monitoring station would get a tamper alert straight away.
    My preference would be to tamper the bell as it is located outside the protected area. ;)

Perhaps Bryanbal will confirm if the system is monitored or not.

Monitored or not, would you install an alarm system without tampering all devices ?

Not monitored is Grade 1 . Tampers are not required for EN50131 .
    But yes I would still use tampers.
    My preference & recommendation here would obviousally be to run a new cable & do it correctly with seperate triggers for external, internal & strobe. Howver the OP asked for a solution to getting the SABB working with 4 cores. In that case my personal preference would be to have a seperate strobe. I a tamper is preferable to that there the option to paralell the bell & strobe trigger is good too.

Especially when the external bell is installed outside the protected area of the alarm system.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

For me it would depend on where the bell is located. If it's at the top of a gable and difficult to access then the strobe would be my preference but if it's accessible then I'd parallel the bell & strobe and tamper the bell.

hi lads
    the sabb is 2.5 storeys high. it wont be touched. the system is not monitored yet. i am very happy with the solution given.

• Advertisement

bryanbal wrote: »
    the system is not monitored yet.

If the system is to be monitored by a monitoring station then tampering the bell is required as it will become a grade 2 or higher. If not then it is up to you as the installer to make the customer aware of the situation and risks involved with not tampering the external bell as it is outside the protected premises. The alarm system will not be aware of any tampering plus disabling of the external bell. I have seen, as I am sure other installers have seen the external bell disabled before an intruder will enter the premises.

Advertisement