Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor and their "free" credit

Options
  • 24-05-2011 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

I was thinking of upgrading my phone recently and was looking at Meteor's website. On their website they stated that you "Get €60 with your phone". I thought that was a good deal so I went and both a phone

dxlogw.gif

However, they're now telling me that I have to top up by €20 each month for a year to get the credit, however as you can see there's no mention of any terms or conditions on the website.

I only really bought the phone because of the deal and now they've changed the offer that was offered to me. Can anyone please advise on what consumer rights I have?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Have you checked the terms carefully?

All networks state that you have to topup to get the bonus credit

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Yugioh

Thanks Davy; I did read them and the conditions say:

"Call Credit - The provision of call credit is subject to further conditions and may require 'porting' of your number from another network, registration of your details and/or may be phased and dependent on monthly top-up."

Upon purchasing the phone they stated that €5 credit was dependant upon registering but said nothing about this €60. The advertisement of the deal didn't mention anything of the terms and conditions. Also as you can see their t&c's said "may" so you don't know what applies! They only indicated about the registering requirement in the build up to the phone so can I not make the assumption that is the condition especially given what is written in the t&c's?

To suddenly make up a rule without saying it at any stage beforehand is at best is very misleading, especially when they say 'get €60 with your phone" without any mention of conditions. Am I alone here in interpreting it all this way?

I really feel like I've been misled and that I've done everything right. Is there nothing I can do?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Yugioh wrote: »
    Thanks Davy; I did read them and the conditions say:

"Call Credit - The provision of call credit is subject to further conditions and may require 'porting' of your number from another network, registration of your details and/or may be phased and dependent on monthly top-up."

Upon purchasing the phone they stated that €5 credit was dependant upon registering but said nothing about this €60. The advertisement of the deal didn't mention anything of the terms and conditions. Also as you can see their t&c's said "may" so you don't know what applies! They only indicated about the registering requirement in the build up to the phone so can I not make the assumption that is the condition especially given what is written in the t&c's?

To suddenly make up a rule without saying it at any stage beforehand is at best is very misleading, especially when they say 'get €60 with your phone" without any mention of conditions. Am I alone here in interpreting it all this way?

I really feel like I've been misled and that I've done everything right. Is there nothing I can do?

Well ask them to show you where it states in the terms you agreed too, that you have to topup by €20. If they cant show you, ask for a refund.

Two other options would be the national consumer agency:> http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/, or the ASAI:> http://www.asai.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Davy wrote: »
    Well ask them to show you where it states in the terms you agreed too, that you have to topup by €20. If they cant show you, ask for a refund.

Two other options would be the national consumer agency:> http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/, or the ASAI:> http://www.asai.ie/

ComReg may be able to help too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

I dont think any network gives the credit up front anymore its phased in month by month
    http://www.meteor.ie/support/onlinestorefaqs/call_credit_tc_february_2011/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Yugioh

No mention of that in the upgrade terms and conditions which is what was shown to me.

r2khty.gif

Really very confusing from Meteor. Contacted to them so see what they say but have the feeling I will have to complain to the guys you all mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

i was going to buy a new phone today with the €20 off deal they had running but on reading the terms this put me off, as i was due €20 free credit in july as part of my goodie bag rewards scheme... read the part below taken from there terms

****Once you have successfully applied for upgrade call credit, any other call credits that you may be due to receive from a previous offer will expire and will not be issued to you (this includes but is not limited to call credits due from a previous handset or SIM only purchase or upgrade).****

basically if i applied for the upgrade credit the €20 i was due would be cancelled, nice one meteor

of course i could have used the phone till after i got my €20 free credit then apply for upgrade creditm but i decided against an upgrade in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Mactíre

Meteor have been giving their bonus credit this way for some years now but they still refuse to state it clearly on any of their promotional material which in my view is somewhat deceitful. recently I bought an upgrade phone from them and was told there was an extra €5 upon registration, all that was required was to make one chargeable call and then go online to register. I've followed the instructions I was given both in the paperwork I received from Meteor and the promotional information on their website but received an error message saying that my phone was not a legitimate upgrade phone and that I should contact meteor's customer care. When I managed to eventually get through to a human being I was told that one had to make three chargeable calls not one, when I pointed out that this was contrary to their advertised instructions I was told that information was wrong and it was three calls one had to make. I was under the illusion that if something was advertised at given price and conditions then it must be sold at those but not it seems if you are a meteor. this may seem like a trivial matter but are we not entitled to more respect as customers? have we taken so much lying down That companies like meteor feel as though they can be as deceitful as they are with impunity? In my home today there are four soon to be ex-meteor customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 juji

I have also been caught by that advertisement, it is extremely misleading!!

I purchased an LG phone online 2nd July, at the time it was advertised as coming with double credit (€40 for €20 or €60 for €30) I was also supposed to receive 10 free Xtra-Vision rentals.

I have been trying to contact customer service by phone and through their contact form on their website for the last week with no success, I then went into the Navan Meteor store but was told they could not help me because I bought the phone online.

I eventually got to speak to a customer service rep (what a joke) on the phone, I had waited 12mins to get through, I told him my story and he said OK just let me check with my supervisor, before I could say anything he went of the line and left me holding, after 20mins I found myself back at the beginning options menu :{

Seems to me that Meteor is the equivalent of Ryan Air when it comes to customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭eolasguy

You should be writing down the agents name and if you are hung up on or transferred back into the IVR system you should call back and speak to a supervisor and make a complaint about the agent and the service. Complaining here about the customer care service will not do you any good as more than likely the managers or supervisors are not aware that these agents are being dopes. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

The double credit offer requires porting. Every add has a writting t&c's apply. This is done by every network. Every network has fup's and tcs. If you are unclear with the promotion you should enquire about it via customer care.

Lastly any business always puts down on promotions that the deals are free to change at any time and subjected to availability and lots of other stuff. With the way marketing is today,nearly everything has a catch.

And yes its confusing to consumers. But nothing we can do unless a large amount of complaints go through. Which I don't think happens.

Advertisement