Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pte. Charles Whyte, 10082, R.Irish Fus.

Options
  • 24-05-2011 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Here is one another research project, who medal I obtained. So far I have his Medal Index Card. This confirms that Pte. Whyte was entitled to 14/15 Star trio. He entered to the war in France 19th December 1914. Moved to Army Reserve Section “B” some point (this is listed without the effective date).

I presume he served with the regular battalion. http://armyservicenumbers.blogspot.com/ confirms that closest regimental numbers enlisted to 1st and 2nd regular Royal Irish Fusiliers battalions:

10008 joined on 13th August 1908
    10312 joined on 16th August 1909

Also The Long, Long Trail (http://www.1914-1918.net/rifus.htm) shows that the 2nd Battalion landed in Le Havre on the 19th December 1914 – same date as his MIC shows qualification to 1914/15 Star. So, I presume he served with the 2nd Battalion (I will try to get medal roles as well to confirm it 100%)?

Maybe someone who has Findmypast access, can check does his Army Pension file exist online (WO 97 Army Pensions series)?

Now Irish Census.

I was able to find three same names on Ireland Census:

1901 Census possibilities

Whyte Charles Down Age 40
    Whyte Charles Dublin Age 40
    Whyte Charles Monaghan Age 12

I presume last one would be the right person? However, when I checked 1911 Census he does not show up on the same family list. There is remark (what weren’t in use in 1901 Census – Children born 11 / Children living 6 and Charles’ name is missing. How I should “read” that record – their child died between 1901-1911 or he is not listed there because he joined the army and reflect that, the figure is changed to 6 (some of them must be died as well because cap of 5)?

1911 Census possibilities

Whyte Charles Donegal Age 15
    Whyte Charles M Dublin Age 63
    Whyte Robert Charles Cavan Age 22
    Whyte Blayney Charles Cavan Age 39

I presume Charles from Donegal, age 15 is only possibility IF he joined the army around 1913-1914 but as regimental number states – I think he joined before that date (1908/1909). So, can I be sure that the right Charles Whyte’s was from Monaghan family?

Does the soldiers, who was moved to reserve (Section “B” A.R.) have been listed somewhere? Also when it usually happened, end of the WW1 period or any time when their service in colours got done as contract stated?
    Any ideas how to proceed would be great! Also any extra information what is available about him.

Kind Regards,

Timo aka Noor

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

Hi Timo,here is the reservist classifications from the LLT web site

http://www.1914-1918.net/reserve.htm

I haven't much time on my hands this evening to look into Charles Whyte's service but it is worth pointing out that he may not of been Irish,a large portion of Irish Regiments had mainland British in the ranks so a search of British census records might also be worth looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭phaethon

Thank you for your response! I am actually familiar with the LLT page.

I just received an answer and Pte Whyte's pension records exist (4 pages)! Confirmed by reg. number as well! He born 1887 in Clones, Monaghan - so, I got it right on Census! Also he enlisted 16th October 1908 at Armagh. Only thing - his regiment index is given as the Royal Garrison Fusiliers!

Thanks again!

Timo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

Hi again Timo,
    I've just looked at his record and it is the Royal Irish Fusiliers he enlisted into,Ancestry has the usual way of reading documents and how it finds a title for them,"if it looks like a G we'll put a G".He served in India in 1912 in a place called Quetta which is now part of Pakistan I believe which boarders Afghanistan.I've attached images of his record and his MIC for anyone who wants to have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭phaethon

Thanks! I actually checked his papers today and some interesting facts came out. Poor guy picked up malaria. Also because his health he was hospitalised in 1915 summer.

Advertisement