Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Timlapse

• 24-05-2011 7:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭

Hi, Attached is my first attempt at a time lapse video, its not perfect at all but no too bad for a first effort, I think i got a little lucky with the weathers too.... Surprisingly the biggest problem was with the pigeons getting thick with my tripod
    What do ye think ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Very nice - especially for first attempt. The clouds in the middle section were epic and a nice bonus with the rainbow suddenly appearing.

Not sure if the sunset section works but well done

Any chance giving a quick overview on how you done it?

Oh, and who's this :D

screenshot20110524at191.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

Firstly: thats my mug in the frame there

Second: The sunset was crap alright, wasnt really a sunset more like a getting-darker set, havent quiet figured out the changing dynamic range yet for this....
    so I just stuck to the one setting & let it run as is,,,,,need a little more lpannign on this again

Thirdly a brief run down on the How too..
    Basically I set the camera (nikonD40) up on a tripod outside, hooked it up to my laptop Via USB & from there controlled the camera via Nikon Camera Control Pro2 Software, I Set the camera on full manual setting & then set the program to take a snap every 3 seconds for like an hour or so, finally i Compilled all the pictures into a video using a freeWare program called video pad editor....The software would only let me change about 10 frames per second so once i compiled the video, i speed them up about 180% to give a rough frame rate of around 18FPS

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Pixie Chief

I know nothing about these things, have never attempted it but I really really like it. I also love the cloud section in the middle. Might have to have a bash at this.....pigeons getting thick with my tripod.....lol...had similar trouble with a starling on Monday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭Scamp-

Love when the rainbow comes in.
    And the pigeon gives it a nice touch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Excellent work! Very very lucky with the weather, especially the rainbow lol

I did my first time lapse the other day (22nd) with a D40 as well haha

Here's my attempt at it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

Does anyone know if the Canon cameras can be hooked up to a PC and controlled like this ?
    havnt heard anythign like that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jaansu

Wow, these are really good. I might have a go myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭dubhoop

That was brilliant I've always wanted to try it and after seeing this i think i will.

@dubhop & Jaansu have a go its not that hard actually. Just wathcinh telly lately & it amazing how much time lapse stuff is used on discovery& nature documantarty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

That is very good. Perfect clouds and the rainbow was deadly. Your cameo was hilarious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Have played with timelapses before and considered getting into it coupled with either a dynamic perception dolly or a mumford table for rotational motion...

However started doing the maths on the shutter life and any serious work is going to burn shutters...

Say you wanted to run 3-4 shots per second on a city scene

thats almost 15000 shots... 10 hours work or so and thats the life of a 5d mark II shutter.. (it may run longer but still, incredible wear rates for any serious work)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

You got very lucky with that rainbow :)

Great time lapse though

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭blue5

Here's a Time-Lapse I made last year

Absolutely Fantastic!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭blue5

Cheers. I love the giant clouds you captured around 38 sec. It's amazing the things Time Lapses show you that otherwise are hidden.

thanks, it was a really stormy day with the clouds, i tried again another day but the clouds were just sitting round doing nothing and the vid was pretty uninteresting.
    Im loving the airplanes Turn Inn & Land in yours

Advertisement