Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxback

Options
  • 24-05-2011 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi,

I want to claim my Australian taxback from 07-08.

I haven't claimed it as I forgot about it to be honest.

I worked several different jobs and from what I remember I paid a little over 4000 dollars in tax. I have no payment summaries, I rang up a few of the companies, one has changed ownership and were no help, they told me I was very cheeky to ask :eek:

One of the others said they would look for it... no matter how many times I call them they wont answer!!!

I'm just wondering is there any amazing taxback companies that will do all that horrid work, chasing up the payment summaries..

Anyone have any experience?!

Also, I have my taxback 'hostplus' details so should it be easy to claim it myself or better off getting someone to do both.

I am broke as anything so like everyone would love the max back!!

Your help will be amazingly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

eeme wrote: »
    Hi,

I want to claim my Australian taxback from 07-08.

I haven't claimed it as I forgot about it to be honest.

I worked several different jobs and from what I remember I paid a little over 4000 dollars in tax. I have no payment summaries, I rang up a few of the companies, one has changed ownership and were no help, they told me I was very cheeky to ask :eek:

One of the others said they would look for it... no matter how many times I call them they wont answer!!!

I'm just wondering is there any amazing taxback companies that will do all that horrid work, chasing up the payment summaries..

Anyone have any experience?!

Also, I have my taxback 'hostplus' details so should it be easy to claim it myself or better off getting someone to do both.

I am broke as anything so like everyone would love the max back!!

Your help will be amazingly appreciated.

No taxback companies will not chase up the companies, they will fill out the paper work for you but not get the paperwork ...

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

Have you still got proof of your tax file number from the tax office?

A similar thing happened to me. I tried to apply 3 years for my tax return after I left the country but it never happened. I had returned to live in Australia permanently and when I approached the tax office they denied that they had ever given me a tax file number. I worked in banks through agencies which I would never have got without my tax file number. I didn't keep the paperwork from them stating my tax file number and the address was listed as my uncle's house. So basically they got to keep all my tax and superannuation because I had somehow ceased to exist and I had to start all over again. When I tried to take it further the ATO started to accuse me of fraud. The companies of course, also had no record of my working for them also. I wonder how many other people this has happened too. My husband had no problem claiming his tax back but he did it straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

i also did mine before i left oz, did it with a dodgy tax accountant in north sydney can't remember his name now, i paid him 80 bucks i got $5000 in my bank account about 2 months later was travelling in asia when i got it so stayed on there for another few months happy days:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Taxback.com done my Irish tax and offered to get the paperwork from my employers in Ireland. Maybe they chase up paperwork in oz too.
    It does cost though. Forty dollars per year or 10% if i goes above a certain amount, plus fifteen or forty five for getting documents.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

Sorry to jump in but whats the general way of going about getting tax back. ? The end of financial year is upon us so what do you generally do with reagrds to getting your tax back. Do you apply once the financial year is up or do you wait until you leave the country? I ask as im planning on leaving in September and dont want to go through the process twice if i dont need to.
    Also, can you claim superannuation?
    Thanks
    Munky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Sorry to jump in but whats the general way of going about getting tax back. ? The end of financial year is upon us so what do you generally do with reagrds to getting your tax back. Do you apply once the financial year is up or do you wait until you leave the country? I ask as im planning on leaving in September and dont want to go through the process twice if i dont need to.
    Also, can you claim superannuation?
    Thanks
    Munky

You'll have to apply for each financial year, but if you want to apply for next year (i.e. july -> sept) you'll have to wait until you leave

There has been LOTS of threads about this, and in one I even filled out the form as an example - do a search for it

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

Thanks Hussey

I have looked through them, thats where i found taxback and a few others. Just wasnt sure of the year end thing.
    Thanks for the help.

Advertisement