Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your opinions welcome on UFO in pic

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

given that it seems to point directly towards the sun, i figure it's an optical effect - may be lens flare, may not be, but it's too much of a coincidence the way its pointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Looks like something burning up in the atmosphere. Meteorite, space junk etc .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Yes Magicbastarder, it is strange... I thought maybe somehow camera shake would have affected a plane or something, but checked exif and SSpeed was /320, it does look like it has lots of little dots in it like it has texture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

Definitely not an aircraft (a plane would lead it's contrail, you'd see the full shape before the white trail started), but it does look like something physical rather than optical, it looks far too structured and dense to be some sort of flare or artefact. I'd put money on it being just something burning up in the atmosphere. I've seen similar trails a few times, usually coinciding with the bigger meteors.

You know NakedDex what I found interesting is that trail behind it, it looks like it's just coming out of the cloud, so I guess there would be a lot of steam if it was something aflame.

I'll probably never know for sure what it is :(

But I've double checked planes, and really the one that "could have been", its flightpath, is above the Galtees, so really that's just too far off for it to have strayed, and it would really be heading the wrong way ! (towards Cork instead of towards Waterford).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

To be an aircraft contrail, it's going to need to be above 28,000ft or so, and at that height you'd still see the defined shape of the plane in front of the contrail, along with definite lines of vapour coming from the engines.
    The funny thing with contrails is that if they're coming directly toward you, you perceive them as going up, rather than forward. Similarly, if it's moving directly away from you, it can look as if it's plummeting.
    Those pictures look, to me anyway, like like something burning up as it skips across high atmosphere away from you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

It's part of the Vogon constructor fleet, here to celebrate Towel Day today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Its the monster from Cloverfield :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Looks like something burning up in the atmosphere. Meteorite, space junk etc .....
    the one bolide i was lucky enough to see left a *very* bright trail of what i assume was superhot plasma; it's not like a pinprick of light with a 'smoke' trail behind it.
    i will be extremely surprised if it's anything other than an optical effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I have one (UFO) aswell.........:o:confused:
    Your's could be a plane but because it's blown-out, it becomes a blur.

Original:
    396A789578A943ED8B284F8B2560D05A-800.jpg

Close up:
    6EDEC900306746B4B1E5CC3515AAEFFF.jpg

/I think I started a thread on it a few years ago!!

• Advertisement

Wow yours is really cool :D

Magicbastarder and the others youz are just jealous cos yee don't have one :p

Advertisement