Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Venues for music in Galway city

Options
  • 24-05-2011 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭

Hello. Can anyone tell me what kind of venues house or display the ''singer/songwriters/original bands'' type of music like Whelans in Dublin?

If you've any websites included in your replies for these venues that would be great.

Jammy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Batt low, so just list a few that I know of - some you may have to 'rent' others may let you charge your cover etc, or pay you - a few of the main ones

Garveys on the square (hosted night)
    Kellys Bar
    Róisín Dubh upstairs
    The Crane (sometimes, less bands, more solo performers upstairs some themed nights too, a lot of trad)

Do a search in this forum - there was a thread recently I think..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Monroes?
    Aras na Gael

Monroes less so now though, right? Or maybe I am out of the loop recently:D. Any time original music is on there that I know of it is a fundraiser or a bunch of bands together.

Aras host some great stuff too, forgot about them. Again it is usually a combo of bands unless they are big, and or a dj. Fun place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

Roisin Dubh is the most similar to Whelan's tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Try Muddy Mahers in Woodquay. He prefers Bluesie type stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Roisin Dubh used to be the most similar to what Whelan's is now, though it [RD] has gone downhill hugely in the last few years.

edit: Seconded on Muddy Maher's - lovely pub, and good live music. But if you're not jazz or blues then I wouldn't even bother trying there.

Try Muddy Mahers in Woodquay. He prefers Bluesie type stuff.

Nice venue. It is technically a 'blues pub' so probably wouldn't stretch at all to singer/songwriter. Some of the bands he's had playing are more jazz or bluegrass I believe, but most do standard blues with some originals.

Edit: Just saw Ficheall's post.

+1 on Róisín being most similar to Whelan's I'd say.

I think they're both on the same 'tour route' for a lot of bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

The new backstage part of Monroe's is worth trying. I've seen some great bands there lately. It has about 150 capacity and is very comfortable from the both the audience and performer perspective

Advertisement