Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What network gives out free sims?

Options
  • 24-05-2011 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

Hi i need SIM card to port to an o2 golden SIM. I am looking for this for a second phone (i.e. i dont want to change my existing number to the golden sim). Do any networks give out free prepay sims? I don't really want to pay for a SIM i'm going to port the next day! I did apply online for a justmobile sim when they launched but they never posted them out so i'm going to go with o2 on this now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

I believe every network other than Vodafone does not charge for the SIM. Some may require a top-up to be placed on the phone. Just walk in-store and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jumbone

bd250110 wrote: »
    I believe every network other than Vodafone does not charge for the SIM. Some may require a top-up to be placed on the phone. Just walk in-store and see.

Cool, I'm on vodafone at the moment I didn't know that was the norm. I might just go to CPW and ask there as they will know which networks don't need a topup and should have whatever SIM i choose in stock.

now to decide which prefix i like best :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

To be fair Vodafone charge 10 euro but give 10 euro credit. All the rest give out free sims

O2 have a golden sim for porting which offers free o2 to o2 calls and texts with zero top up
    https://sim1.o2online-media.ie/GoldenSim.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭zacseph

Found these online, but i'm wondering, do you know do these (or any) companies give out free sims in store as well?
    (I wanna get a phone on the vf website a bit cheaper, but the suspense of waiting for a new sim to be posted out is killin me!! :P XD)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Sims will be deactivated if not used for 6 months or whatever (depends on network).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

You wont be able to use a meteor one unless you top it up first before moving it to o2 so it would be Three or Tesco for a free sim that you could port straight away

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    You wont be able to use a meteor one unless you top it up first before moving it to o2 so it would be Three or Tesco for a free sim that you could port straight away

Well, you don't need to use it - you just need it to be active to receive a message, which you don't need to top up for... so meteor should be fine to use too... :)

zacseph wrote: »
    Well, you don't need to use it - you just need it to be active to receive a message, which you don't need to top up for... so meteor should be fine to use too... :)

You wont . It will receive texts no bother but Meteor wont allow you to port it off until a chargable call has been made and therefor requires you to top up!

• Advertisement

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    You wont . It will receive texts no bother but Meteor wont allow you to port it off until a chargable call has been made and therefor requires you to top up!
    Ok... well, I got one online a couple weeks ago, it arrived last week and I moved it to O2 (wanted an O2 golden sim) and I now have it and working fine, so... maybe they've changed their policies? :cool:

zacseph wrote: »
    Ok... well, I got one online a couple weeks ago, it arrived last week and I moved it to O2 (wanted an O2 golden sim) and I now have it and working fine, so... maybe they've changed their policies? :cool:

Apologies so. I've tried doing it on several different numbers within the last fortnight and it wouldnt allow me do it on any of them until they were topped up. my bad

Advertisement