Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me start?

Options
  • 24-05-2011 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭

Want to start with this.

Is there any advice anyone has to give me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭satory

Hey irishbucsfan welcome to the Blackout Rugby section...

Have you signed up to the game yet? if so don't forget to post your details in the role call thread.

A lot of answers to questions can be found in the Beginners thread and also the Q&A thread, though if you have more questions dont hesitate to ask in the Q&A thread, as you'll always get a response there.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭satory

Heres 2 bits of advice to look out for:

Pick your battles.
    Blackout Rugby has an intensity level for matches, do over play you "Like Theres No Tomorrow" (LTNT), if the team you playing against is too strong, but on the flip side, dont waste it on teams like Ballingarry Phillies, Newtownforbes Thunder and Grange Broncos. Their controlled by bots, which mean that they should be automatic wins without calculating intensity (if their team name changes over the course of the season, then they have been taken over by a human player).

Play as many games as you can,
    Theres friendly matches on Mondays and Thursdays, when you start the game there a lot of effort needed to work out who plays well, where. These games will allow you to find your best 15. You can post in the friendlies on the forums to see if anyone here is free, and up for a friendly. Come the start of the season there are usually signups for friendly comps, enter them and it saves the weekly looking for a team to play...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

First thing is first, clear out most of the sh1t you have in your squad! you can pick up 15kCSR to 20KCSR players for very little on the TM!

If you want, go to the Iirsh clubrooms or if somebody here wants to they can help you out with players, their positions and the TM! once you get your first 15 sorted that's the hard part done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

I would add to what satory said - Steacym (the irish journalist for this season on BR) will email over the next few days with some links and so on. one of these will be the offer of a mentor. Should you accept the offer someone will be assigned to you one to one for you to PM ingame or should you both agree via email outside the game to answer any queries you have etc that you may feel you can't ask and also their responses should be more tailored than a generic answer for your team.

I would also request access to the offsite for BR (I believe Steacym will have links to this in email also) as you can learn a lot there by watching. I plateaued a bit after a couple of seasons, beating teams weaker easily but not really challanging or beating teams better than me. I started taking an interest in the national sides and watching the tactic discussions and reasonings. that might be too much initially though.

I would concentrate this season on learning the ropes and trying out players and how you want to play tactics wise, as you will probably make the play offs anyway and if you promote great if not make a serious push next season.

• Advertisement

jaysus there's a lot of information to digest!

I'll get through it. I'll try get rid of the no-hopers on the team

To sell a player will I just go ahead and click sell player or is there some system to that?

http://www.blackoutrugby.com/game/club.squad.php#player=10399481

Players like this guy, cheap and will fill the gap until you start earning cash and moving up the leagues

Throw this guy on as a flanker - will do a job for a few seasons

http://www.blackoutrugby.com/game/club.squad.php#player=10423249

Also set a limit that you are willing to spend so that you don't get into a bidding war - say you want to spend 150k on new players, you probably will need 5 players in key positions! that means around 30k a player. The biggest mistake people tend to make is they spend 70 or 80 on a player and that's that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

jaysus there's a lot of information to digest!

I'll get through it. I'll try get rid of the no-hopers on the team

To sell a player will I just go ahead and click sell player or is there some system to that?

When you're cleaning out the crud, pay attention to age and non-trainable attributes such as height, weight, discipline etc. If you have a 17 year old monster who doesn't have great skills, it might be worth keeping him with a view to training him up.
    Different people play the game in different ways. Some like to get young players and train them up, looking at the long term. Others will try to spend big bucks getting them ready made. At the start you'll be better off keeping your players young. You could afford a 40k CSR 32 year old, but you'd spend so much money on his wages and he'll start to crap out on you by the time you actually need a 40k player. Better to get more players to 20k than one to 40k in my opinion.

Lots of different ways to play as you'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭TheJims

Phonehead wrote: »
    The biggest mistake people tend to make is they spend 70 or 80 on a player and that's that.

100k on my 3rd day, on a 29000 csr 32 year old saffie..... Hilarious how happy I was when I got him, thought he was straight off the springboks squad :-p

Moved him on when his contract ran out, he was 25k csr and only got 10k for him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭crisco10

Welcome Irishbucsfan!!

Don't be overwhelmed is the first thing I'll say.

The next thing I would say is you only really need 25 or so players. Any more is just a waste of money. Fire the deadwood.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

U could buy this guy...play him as either a winger (good speed & agility) or scrumhalf (good handling)
    http://www.blackoutrugby.com/game/club.squad.php#player=10442066

*** yes he is one of my players...but I think he could add a little speed to your back line

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Also this thread has good info on what to train for a newbie

http://www.blackoutrugby.com/game/global.clubrooms.php#conversation=35247&z=1711

Thanks for the help guys.

Was going through the transfer market there and found a good player going for a good price so i stuck a bid on him. Checked the history there and it turns out I just outbid myself.

I suppose they call that the learning curve.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭seanand

eoferrall wrote: »
    I would add to what satory said - Steacym (the irish journalist for this season on BR) will email over the next few days with some links and so on. one of these will be the offer of a mentor. Should you accept the offer someone will be assigned to you one to one for you to PM ingame or should you both agree via email outside the game to answer any queries you have etc that you may feel you can't ask and also their responses should be more tailored than a generic answer for your team.

I would also request access to the offsite for BR (I believe Steacym will have links to this in email also) as you can learn a lot there by watching. I plateaued a bit after a couple of seasons, beating teams weaker easily but not really challanging or beating teams better than me. I started taking an interest in the national sides and watching the tactic discussions and reasonings. that might be too much initially though.

I would concentrate this season on learning the ropes and trying out players and how you want to play tactics wise, as you will probably make the play offs anyway and if you promote great if not make a serious push next season.

steacym just resigned so if you dont get mail off him dont be worried

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

seanand wrote: »
    steacym just resigned so if you dont get mail off him dont be worried

Just saw that myself. what was that about barely a week or two in the job!:mad:

Advertisement