Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert - Geography (Geoecology) Help?!

• 24-05-2011 8:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Okay, this might sound stupid, but bear with me.

In the geoecology marking schemes it says to give marks to THREE aspects identified? But in a question on human activities it says name TWO ways in which humans have impacted soil?
    Now I know the aspects are over grazing, climatic conditions, and deforestation but if you only mention two will you lose marks for not having three?

Im just confused and could use any help/clearing up :(

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Moved from Newbies & FAQ to Leaving Cert with redirect expiring in 7 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 alltakennamess

I could be wrong but maybe it means if you mention all three they wont dock any marks? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭brian93

My teacher and the marking scheme says have at least 3. Even if it says 2 have 3 or 4! I don't understand it haha! The marks are broken up in 27,27,26 or 20,20,20,20. So have 3 or 4 points. All the geoecology questions have 3 or 4 points anyway :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

If it says give two, you shouldn't lose marks for giving two.

That said, if you know three, why not mention three ... you're certainly not going to *lose* marks by knowing more than you're asked.

Mind you, if it's a long question and says DISCUSS two, for example, I would give most of the time to discussing *two* in detail, as that's what the marks will be for, and just mention the third (or additional ones) in a sentence or so at the end to show that you're aware of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Happened in the pres to me.
    Said mention 2 but on the Marking Scheme it said I was to mention 3 so yes, I was docked :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

Discuss all three - group Deforestation over-cropping and over-grazing under "Human impacts" and climatic conditions as a "physical factor". That way you can discuss 3/4 themes under two aspect headings.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 outofthecrowd

maybe you could tie over grazing and deforestation together? i'm not doing that section but it's kinda like when you get a question on one tertiary economic activity, discuss tourism and tie transport into it by saying great infrastructure attracts tourists....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

boogle wrote: »
    Discuss all three - group Deforestation over-cropping and over-grazing under "Human impacts" and climatic conditions as a "physical factor". That way you can discuss 3/4 themes under two aspect headings.
    Exactly what I was going to say! :D

Advertisement