Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property left behind by previous tenant

Options
  • 24-05-2011 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭

Am currently renting a home and there was a small shed in the back yard when we moved in. It was made bits of by the wind yesterday and is now in heap in the back yard. I rang the letting agency who said that the shed belonged to a previous tenant and was not supplied by the landlord and had nothing to do with the landlord. I then asked what do we do then and he said "what do you want me to do about it?"

I can see where he was coming from to an extent, but from our point of view it came with the house, whether the landlord bought it or not is irelevent to me. I certainly don't expect a new shed, but am I responsible for disposing of it?

By the way, a similiar issue came up when we first moved in where the previous tenant left belongs behind, and ultimately we had to dispose of them ourselves.

Any advise on if the current tenant is repsonsible for the belongings of a previous tenant?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Wooden shed? makes good fire wood;)

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Jellab

Don't know for sure but I would expect it would be the landlords responsibility to remove it and any belongings that are left there after a former tenant before new tenants move in. The shed is now a hazzard on his property
    Call Threshold they will be able to advise. Morning time is best to get them on the phone.
    Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 78,394 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Take photosgraphs. Write to landlord enclosing photos, explaining that the shed collapsed in teh rough weather. Ask the to replace it within 2 weeks, as it was part of what you rented and that its a safety hazard. When they refuse, demand that they pay for demolition / removal.

If there is no progress after the two weeks, write again saying you will have it demolished at their cost. After, say a month, complete demolishing shed, stack tidily in the corner of the yard / garden. Be careful of nails / screws.

Some councils have an annual junk removal collection. Find out if they will take this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

It is of no business to you who put the shed there but it was part of the property you agreed to rent so it is up to the landlord to look after it. If you want the shed replaced put it to them that you agreed to the contract as per the property you were presented with which included a shed and you would expect that to be replaced.

Advertisement