Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I really miss Lauryn Hill.

• 24-05-2011 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭

I've been listening to The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill again after not having listened to it in quite some time, and my God that woman has got it. It's still one of my favourite albums of all time, and Lauryn Hill has got to be one of the best hip hop artists of all time, male or female, on the strength of that album alone.

Where has she gone though? I think hip hop really needs someone like her, especially in terms of female representation in hip hop. She was a genuinely gifted artist, with something to say and didn't need to take off her clothes or sexualise herself in any way in order to say it. She was on the same level as some of the best male artists out there, and a great representation of what hip hop can be when it's done really well. She should come back.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Camac Hibs

Always thought she was a pretty decent emcee on some of the fugees stuff, pissed all over the other two anyway. She's no Bahamadia though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭TheRiddler

I've been listening to The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill again after not having listened to it in quite some time, and my God that woman has got it. It's still one of my favourite albums of all time, and Lauryn Hill has got to be one of the best hip hop artists of all time, male or female, on the strength of that album alone.

Where has she gone though? I think hip hop really needs someone like her, especially in terms of female representation in hip hop. She was a genuinely gifted artist, with something to say and didn't need to take off her clothes or sexualise herself in any way in order to say it. She was on the same level as some of the best male artists out there, and a great representation of what hip hop can be when it's done really well. She should come back.

Are you saying she is better then the amazingly talented Nikki Minaj or Jessie J? You must be having a laugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

TheRiddler wrote: »
    Are you saying she is better then the amazingly talented Nikki Minaj or Jessie J? You must be having a laugh

Nikki Minaj is talented now? lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭batari

Blunted on Reality was an absolute genius album, still one of my favourite albums. Could never get into any later Fugees releases.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Miseducation is a classic album, the follow up Live album (debateable if it is an album) was a bit of a disappointment. She was always great on the Fugees albums.

She's back performing again, arriving up to 5 hours late to gigs and doing short sets depending on her mood.
    Many people thought she went mad for a few years and was hiding, apparently she was becoming private and didnt want to raise a family in the spotlight. She had a whole gang of kids in that time as well.
    I personally think she went a bit looney during those years, if you see any of her live performances now, she can still sing her a$s off, but there is something odd about her behviour.

There is supposed to be a new album close to completion as well.

I dont think she could ever release anything as good as Miseducation again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

Didnt she have a kid with bob marleys son?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭TheRiddler

DarkJager wrote: »
    Nikki Minaj is talented now? lol
    Joke

• Registered Users Posts: 39 papajohn12

The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill is my favorite of hers, but I doubt she can replicate its success anytime soon. But I'd be very happy to be proven wrong though. I listen to some of Nicki Minaj's songs, and I can jam to it but I still don't consider her as one of hip hop's best, not yet anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ciarak7511

beautiful, soulful voice

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

BengaLover wrote: »
    I think they have 8 kids together now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I think they have 8 kids together now.
    BengaLover wrote: »

Yeah, she has an unusual relationship with Rohan Marley. I dunno, he's with her, but he's not with her. They've a gang of children together, but he's married to someone else as far as I know, and he doesn't live with Lauryn or anything. It's all out in the open though, and no one seems to have a problem with it. I think it's some sort of open relationship deal, I dunno.

But, I agree with an above poster. I think she lost her marbles there for a while. I saw some of her unplugged stuff, and it wasn't too great. Rambling incoherently in between songs, sobbing while singing. It was very strange. She's immensely talented though, in my opinion. Got a great voice, and is well capable of writing great lyrics with good beats, but she does seem a bit off the rails, which is a shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

Her version of Roberta Flacks killing me softly was to die for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

Lauryn will be performing Miseducation at this years Rock the Bells.

http://rockthebells.net/latest-news

Great line up, includes Nas - Illmatic, Raekwon & Ghostface - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx, Mos Def & Talib Kweli - Blackstar, Mobb Deep - The Infamous and others like Cypress Hill, Immortal Technique, Slaughterhouse, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Jigga wrote: »

Great line up, includes Nas - Illmatic, Raekwon & Ghostface - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx, Mos Def & Talib Kweli - Blackstar, Mobb Deep - The Infamous and others like Cypress Hill, Immortal Technique, Slaughterhouse, etc.

Reading that line up...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

shes a racist bytch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

Hugh Cream wrote: »
    shes a racist bytch.
    She is not, those were unsubstantiated rumours spread about her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

shes a racist bytch.

How about doing a bit of reading up before throwing around accusations like that? Most of her music is directed at young black women, as a way of making them feel empowered and giving them confidence to be who they are instead of trying to be someone else, this includes trying to act 'white' or European, or trying to distance themselves in any way from who they are and their roots. Nothing racist about that. It's just taking pride in who you are, and God knows African Americans have been told for long enough to be ashamed of who they are, so I don't see anything wrong with someone like Lauryn Hill making music that encourages young women like herself to have a bit of self-confidence. She never said that she didn't want white people to buy her music, but she admitted that it is mainly directed at black women. So what? She's a black woman herself, talking about her struggle with that and her identity. Of course it's going to appeal mainly to young black women, but as a young white woman myself, I still get something out of her music while appreciating the message she's sending to other women like herself. It's not racism, it's just having a message that doesn't neccessarily fit in with what everyone else is saying - be proud of who you are, you don't have to conform, you don't have to be a certain way to be attractive. It's a different message to what a lot of the media sends out, but it's a better one.

shes a racist bytch.

Any evidence to support this? I am aware that there has been speculation about this in the past. But that has all been cleared up by Lauren Hill herself and the media.

Unless you have any evidence to support this there will be no further discussion on this forum in respect of your claims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

im a white male, i like her music, i just find her views and beliefs a bit off putting, i dont buy the pr that was spun by her people either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Jigga wrote: »

Thats an insane lineup. Illmatic, black sunday and the infamous live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭weemcd

TheRiddler wrote: »

Yes, she is more talented. Infinitely more talented.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

You could spin that Eminem is racist to Blacks and that 2Pac was racist to white people. Doesn't mean it's right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Legwinski

• Registered Users Posts: 41 music crazy

Love Lauryn Hill's voice and her Miseducation album. I agree though it will be difficult for her to release an album that surpasses that one. Love 'Doo wop' , 'The Ex - Factor' , 'Killing me softly' and 'Everything is Everything' etc.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,819 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Cross-posted with one in a dead forum:

With her upcoming concerts in the UK coming up I've had the Miseducation on repeat for a while now.

Beautiful album still and really has stood the test of time since its release. Pity there's no Irish dates but it prob really wouldn't be worth her time. At best she'd get a 1 date Academy set.

Listened to a couple of freestyles since her prison release which I didn't particularly enjoy though

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭jillymayr

I miss lauryn alot too!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

known a few friends who went to her gig in london recently and she was diabolical.

Many booed her off the stage

Advertisement