Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Isit possible to still do well in the leaving cert in only 2/3 weeks?

• 24-05-2011 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭

Help I'm really behind with studying. I was supposed to start at easter but it didn't happen , I was at a revision course for one of the weeks I studied there . I've had some good study days and bad ones. I haven't really done a full week of proper study only maybe a few days. I find it hard not to get distracted. I'll probably get rid of my laptop for a start while I'm studying or the whole week.

I need to get around 400 pts or at least 340. But I'm aiming for 400.
    I'm doing
    Geography (H) B1
    English(O) A2 (I'm quite good at english except the main text just need to learn more about it)
    Engineering(H) B1.
    French(O) B1
    Maths B1/C3 at least I not that good at maths this is the hardest . Maybe if I did maths everyday full papers?
    Business(H)A
    Anyone think of a good study plan? I've noticed I find it harder to study after 12pm , when I've woken up late. I might wake up at 6am and study. Can I still pass and get good results in only 2/3 weeks?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Less posting on boards, and more studying :) Start now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

How do you have so few subjects?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I forgot to add Business. .

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭AlanBr

I'd say just do as much years as you can from exam papers....I find it best to do 45 mins study then 5min break then 45 again etc.. and as Obama said YES YOU CAN do well in your leaving cert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭C__

Depends on how you study. Some people find cramming the best way to learn while others start early. I am more of a cramming person but i am way too lazy and i have resigned myself to repeating next year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭lorsric

It is never too late, in fact, lots of time.

Go to - http://www.skoool.ie/examcentre_sc.asp?id=2075 , I give grinds and find this a brilliant website for notes.

Find your subjects in the list and go and print off all of the notes. I mean all. Staple the pile of notes for each subject together, then get the highlighter pen out.

For the Business exam - learn all of your formulas - remember you know them. you can answer questions.

A tip for the business and all other exams - look back on the previous exam papers, with an A4 sheet of paper, write the topics - eg. Business - EU - know all the institutes and key policies (often comes up as a small Q), also, know Maslow and Mcregor's X and Y - know the layout of the pyramid and all of the terminology - the business vocabulary will gain you marks.

Have a list of companies you can use for examples and be able to reference something they did - eg. Dell - ordering online, saved costs etc.
    Have Irish and International examples.

When looking at all of the exams when you are doing them - see what Q's offer most marks and do them - eg. a = 10, b = 20 and c=30, don't waste 20 minutes on part a and half do b and not get to c. leave the space in your booklet of paper for answers and do the parts that offer the most first.

Time everything - if allocated 5 minutes, and still not finished, leave space to return and move on.

Also, when you are specifically asked to answer certain Q's , make sure you do them. Compulsory Q's are just that, you miss doing them, you get 0 to start.

Draw up a timetable your studying - allocated 30-45 minutes per subject and take 10 mins break.
    Before even beginning to study - get all of the notes and books for all the subjects you want to study and set them out on a table, or the floor/bed, so you can move with ease and not waste time when in "study mode"

In your study timetable, start working on the subject you have last - eg. Thurs night - 6-6.45pm : Business, 6.55-7.40pm : French, etc, so English is the last one, probably on Friday evening. Does that make sense?

Hope this helps and if any questions, PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭popsmar

When I was doing the leaving cert there was one person who surprised me, and passed his leaving. He was the class clown who was always messing he was in all pass/foundation classes everything. a weeks before the leaving his parents had to go to away and did not return till after the exams, after the first couple of days doing nothing he got bored and with nobody else around he started studding if he can do it anyone can.
    PS if you are up at 6 and studding at 12 you will burn yourself out you need to WORK REST AND PLAY. However, mostly work.

Just do your best that’s all you can do. Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Everyone studies differently so I'm not entirely certain how much you would be able for but myself, I would be a crammer.

Right now what you need to do is:

Get rid of the textbooks. It's too late to be wading through endless text. Move onto notes if you've written your own or Revise Wise served me well last year. If you're determined enough with the Revise Wise you could cover a course in a day.

Get all of your past papers together and go through them. If you don't own the books of papers print them.

The marking schemes are just as important. They'll show you how much they actually expect you to write, where the marks are going etc.

Work out what you can cut out. Focus on where the marks are and if something is highly unlikely to come up or is less important than another section then abandon it at this stage. It is much better to work this out and do say two thirds of the course, the more important areas really well rather that trying to take on too much and make a mess of it.

Good luck and don't lose hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭AlanBr

lorsric wrote: »

In your study timetable, start working on the subject you have last - eg. Thurs night - 6-6.45pm : Business, 6.55-7.40pm : French, etc, so English is the last one, probably on Friday evening. Does that make sense?

Well that makes no sense to me anyway :P

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭apkbarry

AlanBr wrote: »

Me neither! :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

apkbarry wrote: »
    Me neither! :P

X3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

X3

x4

IT'S CALLED BALANCING THE STUDY, FAIRLY EASY CONCEPT, BUT I GUESS IT TAKES LOGIC TO FIGURE OUT PROPERLY, AND IT ISNT FOR EVERYONE

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

AlanBr wrote: »

I think what iorscric is saying is that since your english exam is the one which is first I.e. The 8th you should study it last as it will be fresher in your mind.

So starting in the morning you start with the subject you have last and work back to English.

Sounds like a good idea! :)

I think what iorscric is saying is that since your english exam is the one which is first I.e. The 8th you should study it last as it will be fresher in your mind.

So starting in the morning you start with the subject you have last and work back to English.

Exactly, kind of the reason I said the OP could PM me.

I used this method to study,but planning the schedule takes a while, but once you have it, the study becomes very doable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

The subject you study last will be the subject you take the least in because you'll be tired and won't be able to concentrate.

Totally disagree with the previous post - Study is tiring anyway, but the way someone studies will not impact on their results in a negative way.

See - http://www.guidetoonlineschools.com/library/learning-strategies

OP needs to ensure they get plenty of sleep - no coffee or sugar after 9pm and camomille tea or water.

Stop studying at least 1 hour before bed, and relax, whether that means watching some TV or reading, listening to music or having a bath, you need to switch off after intense study.

Others may disagree, but you need proper rest and sleep, not sleepless nights.

Eat lots of green veg - and fish, also, avoid eating badly, snack on fruit, nuts (unsalted - almonds, hazelnuts) and drink lots of natural water.

Deep breathing is also great, and if feeling overwhelmed, take a break for half an hour, and then restart.

Remember to speak to family or friends to avoid feeling stressed - see - www.spunout.ie for information on exam stress and other issues.

A healthy body and good lifestyle pattern will lead to a more prepared mind.

Best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Just kill yourself over the next while. A solid 9 hours a day will do wonders ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Isthisnecessary

Thanks for the tip- I found <snipped url>great for the French written exam, but u have to pay 25 dollars (about €18 to dowload 25 credits,) enough to get 25 articles

<please don't promote pay sites here - especially under the guise of 'helping'>

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Anyone think of a good study plan? I've noticed I find it harder to study after 12pm , when I've woken up late. I might wake up at 6am and study. Can I still pass and get good results in only 2/3 weeks?

I usually have this problem also.

I generally stay up late on nights where I don't have school, this is my problem but you will be doing well if you manage to conquer it.

For a study plan I would recommend what worked for me some times in the past and I'm trying to get back into these habits;
    7.30am : get up, have a shower, get dressed and eat a good breakfast
    8.10am : relax for a few minutes, listen to music, take deep breaths, etc.
    8.30am : now you can start studying
    Pick 2 subjects one you like and one you are not so fond of, spend 25 mins on each and take a 5 minute break in between
    9.25am : take your second favourite subject and study whatever that subject might be for the next 25 mins
    10.00am : take a break, watch television, use your computer etc.
    11.00am : For the next hour you can undertake the same routine, pick you third favourite subject and a lesser-enjoyable one

Going by this you will have 5 subjects out of the way by midday. That should give you plenty of time during the rest of the day if you have any other commitments. You could finish up with your remaining 1-2 subjects at 2pm after a 2-hour break and this will take an hour, spending 25 mins on each with a 5 min break.

If you do that you will have all your subjects revised by 3pm in a single day. If your happy with yourself reward your efforts by going out with your friends or something. This may not be a good idea to do everyday but whenever you feel you need a break.

Also its easier to study late if you've put the work in during the earlier hours of the day. At 7, 8 or whatever time suits you can quickly rehearse over everything you studied during the day, close your notebooks and ask yourself questions. Take note of what you remember and what you don't.

Also eat good food as someone already mentioned, vegetables, fish and pasta are all good for students sitting exams. Avoid crisps, chocolate and whatnot during the weeks leading up to the exams.

If you can go by this schedule and find a way to fill in the gaps when you need a break, you should be fine.

Don't be too worried, it is NEVER TOO LATE to start studying. If you start tomorrow with this plan it will be a huge confidence boost and the more you believe in yourself the better you will do.

Good luck:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Thanks for all the advice it's really helpful . I'll be starting it from tomorrow /

Advertisement