Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any recommendations for a letting agent?

Options
  • 24-05-2011 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

South Dublin area. Dublin 16/22/24

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

You would be better off letting out your own property yourself.

My experience of letting agents has been dire~:
    • Phone calls and emails not returned.
    • Trying to chase them down to organise a viewing.
    • Them doing viewings to a number of people at the same time, playing the old 'well, these are the hours I work, and tough if you are interested in viewing at the weekend' thing.
    • Playing the slimey salesman routine at viewings that is so off putting, and not letting the landlord know about legitimately good long term tenants because of the potential of higher offers from others, who may not be a good bet long term, let alone short term, but they have their eye on the main point-max rent agreed=max profit for themselves.
    To be honest, you have no business being a landlord unless you equip yourself with the basics of the legislation, and that includes the minimum housing standards.
    Most tenants have to do this from being burned, the idea that offsetting this responsiblity to letting agents is laughable, as they don't even know that a BER cert is required, let alone adherence to minimum housing standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

^^lol

Found these agents in tallaght to be good http://www.mge.ie/

Doop wrote: »
    ^^lol

Any good reason for the lol droopy?

I couldnt see where the OP asked for peoples personal grievances...

I couldnt see where the OP asked for peoples personal grievances...

Just stating experiences from a tenant' point of view.

Surely that is valid, consdering the Op is looking for recommendation of a letting agent?

No, just because you dislike my point of view it is a problem with you?

Why is that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Had experience of one bad letting agent, one good one (so far).

As a sweeping generalization, a lot of them seem to be useless.

Darlughda wrote: »
    No, just because you dislike my point of view it is a problem with you?

Why is that?

Its your condescending attitude, and sweeping generalisations I have a problem with
    Darlughda wrote: »
    To be honest, you have no business being a landlord unless you equip yourself with the basics of the legislation, and that includes the minimum housing standards. let alone adherence to minimum housing standards.

[*]Phone calls and emails not returned.

[*]Playing the slimey salesman routine at viewings that is so off putting, and not letting the landlord know about legitimately good long term tenants because of the potential of higher offers from others, who may not be a good bet long term, let alone short term, but they have their eye on the main point-max rent agreed=max profit for themselves.

as they don't even know that a BER cert is required, let alone adherence to minimum housing standards.

Just because you think you're a great prospect for a landlord doesnt mean he/she agrees.

All letting agents dont know what a BER is? my mother knows what a BER is.
    I could nit-pick through the rest of your post but cant be bothered.

Its your condescending attitude, and sweeping generalisations I have a problem with.

Err, check out all my posts before coming to your prejorative judgements and where then state exactly where my sweeping generalisations are?

Just because you think you're a great prospect for a landlord doesnt mean he/she agrees.
    Duh. Then why have I justlanded myself with a sound landlord? What exactly is your problem with me?
    All letting agents dont know what a BER is? my mother knows what a BER is..
    Err, read my opening post again. What I tried to explain was that most landlords looked at you askance when you mention a BER cert
    I could nit-pick through the rest of your post but cant be bothered.
    Don'y bother, it is clear you have a problem with me personally so, get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,396 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Folks, if you have a problem with a poster, please don't get into discussion on-thread. Either take it to private message or report the post.

lol :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,396 ✭✭✭✭Victor

lol :rolleyes:
    Pardon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 The Good Agent

T-rev wrote: »
    South Dublin area. Dublin 16/22/24

Not to be blowing our own horn but The Good Agent deals with lettings in Dublin City. We have fixed prices and high flexibility, PM me if you're interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I recommend getting three in to take a look around, and discuss their procedures etc with them to see which suits your needs best. The key things to ask are;
    (1) How much do you charge?
    (2) Does this include maintenence AND tenant search?
    (3) Do I have to pay more for each tenant change?
    (4) Do you have tradesmen you deal with already?
    (5) Under what circumstances will I get a call / letter from you?
    (6) When are your offices open?
    (7) Do you do inspections?

I have used a few, but I wouldn't recommend all of them for all properties.

I currently use a local one in Raheny for a house I have in Sutton. They do an excellent job. I have agreed that any repair costs under €200 they can just go ahead without prior agreement, anything above that they call me first. I have never ever been phoned. I get a statement each year of costs / rent which helps with tax return.

Advertisement