Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin 8 to Palmerstown Shopping Centre

Options
  • 24-05-2011 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭

Have to work out in Palmerstown Shopping Centre for a few days next week, and will be using public transport to and from.

So far it seems the 25a/b is the best bet, not sure what time I'll be getting a bus at but I'd be guessing around 11am, would I be better going to Dawson St to get the bus or will it be fairly empty by the time it hits Heuston? Also roughly how long would it take? And is there any better options?

Cheers in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭dan185

It'll be fairly grand at that hour from Hueston. From there just walk over the bridge, turn left and there's a bus stop there. Any one of the 25/25a/25b/66/66a/67 will go through Palmerstown, get off at Palmerstown village and and take a left off the n4, the shopping centre is straight up there on the right hand side. give it 10 minutes extra to walk though.

it's about 15-25 minutes from Heuston to Palmerstown, depending on traffic.

oh jaysus actually, don't listen to me! It's different since I was going to college last year now.

Don't go over the bridge, the bus stop is on the south side facing the side of hueston. Not sure if the 66/66a/67 go that way but the 25a/25b definitely do.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Ye I know where the actual shopping centre is, just trying to deicde on which bus, etc... Cheers for the reply.

Ye I seen the difference on Dublinbus, some say Sean Heuston Bridge and some say Heuston Station!:confused:

I'm half guessing here but Sean Heuston Bridge is the one I was referring to first I think. That route will bring you up through Chapelizod, so the 25a/b route from Hueston bypasses this and should be quicker.

Either/Or though mate, you'll get there from whichever.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,745 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

There is no problem getting on any bus going out the N4 at that time so no need to go anywhere near the city centre.

Either 25a/25b from St John's Road opposite Heuston Station every 15 minutes via the Chapelizod bypass

or

25, 66, 66a, 66b or 67 from Parkgate Street roughly every 7-15 minutes via Chapelizod.

The 26 also goes to Kennelsfort Road (the cemetery at the top) from St John's Road every 30 minutes via Chapelizod and Ballyfermot (the long way around).

25a/25b are roughly 4-5 minutes faster using the Chapelizod bypass.

All the above also stop on Ushers Quay next to the filling station if you want to maximise your choice of bus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Ye I know where the actual shopping centre is, just trying to deicde on which bus, etc... Cheers for the reply.

Ye I seen the difference on Dublinbus, some say Sean Heuston Bridge and some say Heuston Station!:confused:

Some buses were re-routed recently to go to Palmerstown via John's Rd instead of Chapelizod Village so I presume any that say Heuston Station go via John's Road - the others via Chapelizod Village!
    The 25a would be handy to catch from close to Dr Steeven's Hospital (opposite Heuston) you will be able to time the bus leaving town. It should be at the footbridge in Palmerstown in 10 mins!
    You could also get the 26 which goes to kennesfort Rd via Ballyfermot and Chapelizod Village.Wouldn't be much traffic in Ballyer at that time though bus goes only every 30 mins I think. If you wanted to double your chances of bus numbers perhaps walk back to the bus stop at Victoria Quay (outside Guinness) if that suits you. Would save you heading into town!

Sundew wrote: »
    Some buses were re-routed recently to go to Palmerstown via John's Rd instead of Chapelizod Village so I presume any that say Heuston Station go via John's Road - the others via Chapelizod Village!
    The 25a would be handy to catch from close to Dr Steeven's Hospital (opposite Heuston) you will be able to time the bus leaving town. It should be at the footbridge in Palmerstown in 10 mins!
    You could also get the 26 which goes to kennesfort Rd via Ballyfermot and Chapelizod Village.Wouldn't be much traffic in Ballyer at that time though bus goes only every 30 mins I think. If you wanted to double your chances of bus numbers perhaps walk back to the bus stop at Victoria Quay (outside Guinness) if that suits you. Would save you heading into town!

Need to go further back to Ushers Quay - 25, 66/a/b and 67 do not serve Victoria Quay.

lxflyer wrote: »
    Need to go further back to Ushers Quay - 25, 66/a/b and 67 do not serve Victoria Quay.

Thanks Ixflyer. I wasn't completely 100% if only set buses stopped at Victoria Quay

Cheers all, looks like I'll go with the 25a/b. That bus stop is the one between Dr Steevens Hospital and the Eircom Buliding?

So every 15 mins, roughly from that stop to the Kennelsfort Rd stop how long would it take at around 11am?

Cheers all, looks like I'll go with the 25a/b. That bus stop is the one between Dr Steevens Hospital and the Eircom Buliding?

So every 15 mins, roughly from that stop to the Kennelsfort Rd stop how long would it take at around 11am?

Gavin:The stop is closer to Dr Steeven's Hos then the Eircom Building(It's right opposite the John's Rd entrance to Heuston).
    Circa11 am you should fly it to the footbridge (aprox 10 mins,certainly no more then 15). However ya then have to walk up to the S.C :D
    What time do you have to be there for?

• Advertisement

Gavin:The stop is closer to Dr Steeven's Hos then the Eircom Building(It's right opposite the John's Rd entrance to Heuston).
    Circa11 am you should fly it to the footbridge (aprox 10 mins,certainly no more then 15). However ya then have to walk up to the S.C :D
    What time do you have to be there for?

Ye I know the stop, and well there's not much between the two bulidings.:D

So 30 mins from getting on the bus to Palmerstown Shopping Centre? 15 mins waiting and 15 mins walk from my gaff. That's grand.

Haven't a clue what time I've to be there for, but it won't be before 12, I'm just being drafted in to help a shop pack up since it's shutting down and I've just after doing the exact same thing in my own shop this week so they obviously think I'm an expert now at it.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Palmerstown shopping centre as in the bowling alley ?

78a and walk from Cold Cut road about 2 minutes walk.

dreamers75 wrote: »

Never thought of that and I've done it loads of times but thats an excellent alternative. It's all downhill from cherry Orchard instead of walking uphill from the N4 :D

dreamers75 wrote: »

Not sure if there's a bowling alley, but there's an Xtravision and Supervalu.

Gavin: Don't tell me extravis is closing in palmerstown as well :(
    Where we gonna go for our dvds now? :confused:

Gavin: Don't tell me extravis is closing in palmerstown as well :(
    Where we gonna go for our dvds now? :confused:

Yup closing down this Sunday. Ballyfermot would be the cloest to Palmerstown. 9 closed last Sunday (including the one I work in :() and 9 are closing this Sunday.

So which would be quicker to get? 78a to Coldcut Road/Ballyfermot Rd or 25a/b from Johns Rd?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

The 26 will do the same job as the 78A, goes to Cherry Orchard too. Yep the bowling alley is called Super Dome, it is definitely the main tenant in the shopping centre. The 78A is very dodgy, whereas none of the others are. The 25's are the fastest journey but not by much when there's no traffic in Chapelizod- so you're saving only a few minutes then have that uphill walk. I'd go with the 26 if I were you. Won't take more than 20 minutes at that time- all of those busses will be dead. It is across the bridge where it stops though, outside Hickey's fabric on Parkgate Street. I don't know enough about the 78A but in general people prefer the 25's/66's/67's to get to Liffey Valley as the 78A is more long-winded if that's any indication..

Dodgy? As in the "users"? Only ever got that bus from Thomas St to Richmond Park back in the day so wouldn't know it too well.

Was hoping the 78a would be the handier since it's the closest to my house.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Dodgy? As in the "users"? Only ever got that bus from Thomas St to Richmond Park back in the day so wouldn't know it too well.

Was hoping the 78a would be the handier since it's the closest to my house.:mad:

Yeah the users, it's well known for it. Depends if it bothers you or not! I suspect it's more of a roundabout bus than the others, but if it's the handiest and you don't mind it being rough then go for that then. No idea how long it would take though, can't be that long.

Yeah the users, it's well known for it. Depends if it bothers you or not! I suspect it's more of a roundabout bus than the others, but if it's the handiest and you don't mind it being rough then go for that then. No idea how long it would take though, can't be that long.

Nah wouldn't bother me a bit, have plenty of experience on the 77/a and the aul Red Line Luas.:D Cheers by the way for the replies.

Anyone know roughly how long the 78a takes from Thomas St to Coldcut Rd? And how far of a walk from Coldcut Rd to Palmerstown SC? Cheers.

• Advertisement

The 26 will do the same job as the 78A, goes to Cherry Orchard too. Yep the bowling alley is called Super Dome, it is definitely the main tenant in the shopping centre. The 78A is very dodgy, whereas none of the others are. The 25's are the fastest journey but not by much when there's no traffic in Chapelizod- so you're saving only a few minutes then have that uphill walk. I'd go with the 26 if I were you. Won't take more than 20 minutes at that time- all of those busses will be dead. It is across the bridge where it stops though, outside Hickey's fabric on Parkgate Street. I don't know enough about the 78A but in general people prefer the 25's/66's/67's to get to Liffey Valley as the 78A is more long-winded if that's any indication..

You really ought to check things before posting info like this.

The 26 does NOT serve Parkgate St. It serves the same stop as the 25a/25b on St John's Road before operating via SCR and Chapelizod to Ballyfermot and Kennelsfort Rd.

I'd second the other posts here - avoid the 78a if at all possible. 26 is best option (every 30 mins) followed by the 25a/b.

Nah wouldn't bother me a bit, have plenty of experience on the 77/a and the aul Red Line Luas.:D Cheers by the way for the replies.

Anyone know roughly how long the 78a takes from Thomas St to Coldcut Rd? And how far of a walk from Coldcut Rd to Palmerstown SC? Cheers.

The 78a takes about 15 mins from Inchicore Village up to Cherry Orchard at that time of the morning (if there is not heavy traffic).....so I guess an extra 10 coming from Thomas St!
    The Palmerstown S.C is aprox an 8 min walk from the Cherry Orchard stop. (I get the 78a to here to visit my dentist at the shopping centre!)
    There tends to be less gurriers on the bus at that time of the morning but watch yer wallet at the Cherry Orchard stop all the same ;)

I reckon the 25's are yer best bet for a more comfortable and quicker journey :)
    Yup closing down this Sunday. Ballyfermot would be the cloest to Palmerstown. 9 closed last Sunday (including the one I work in ) and 9 are closing this Sunday.
    Sorry to hear that gavin. To be honest I felt there branches didn't really move with the times and was always disppointed with their dvd choices. I was a member of their Palmerstown and Inchicore branch but would usually use laser in town as their selection of films was far better, I'm sorry to say :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Not sure if there's a bowling alley, but there's an Xtravision and Supervalu.

There is

The 78a is great craic!

It should be fine at 11am though surely? just sit down the bottom floor, near the front, in armour, keep your eyes closed and don't breathe too heavily and you'll be grand.

The 78a takes about 15 mins from Inchicore Village up to Cherry Orchard at that time of the morning (if there is not heavy traffic).....so I guess an extra 10 coming from Thomas St!
    The Palmerstown S.C is aprox an 8 min walk from the Cherry Orchard stop. (I get the 78a to here to visit my dentist at the shopping centre!)
    There tends to be less gurriers on the bus at that time of the morning but watch yer wallet at the Cherry Orchard stop all the same ;)

I reckon the 25's are yer best bet for a more comfortable and quicker journey :)

Sorry to hear that gavin. To be honest I felt there branches didn't really move with the times and was always disppointed with their dvd choices. I was a member of their Palmerstown and Inchicore branch but would usually use laser in town as their selection of films was far better, I'm sorry to say :-(

Cool I'll probably go with the 25's, seems a bit more straight forward although I bit of a longer walk to the stop.

Ye I worked in Inchicore, closed the shutters for the last time tonight.:o Off covering shifts in other shops till after I come home from my hols and hopefully get a permanent shop.
    dan185 wrote: »
    The 78a is great craic!

It should be fine at 11am though surely? just sit down the bottom floor, near the front, in armour, keep your eyes closed and don't breathe too heavily and you'll be grand.

:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

The 26 will fly up to Palmerstown at that time of the morning. It's just a very irregular bus. I was almost in tears when I saw the xtravision in Portobello/Leonards Corner had closed down. So many happy memories from that place. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

dan185 wrote: »
    The 78a is great craic!

:D:D Ha ha...

It's fine Gavin, if you're used to luas red line it's almost the same (but not as bad IMO) Just sit downstairs if it's handier to where you live. As a bonus, they're very frequent I don't know if the 26's are?

It'll take about 20 - 30 minutes depending on traffic from D8. Then you get off at the stop after cherry orchard hospital when it takes the turn for coldcut and walk back around to palmerstown (no more than 5 minutes walk depending on how fast you walk)!

If ya getoff at Cherry Orchard instead of the next stop at Whitethorn Estate you will have a traffic island and set of pedestrian lights to cross the road at Cherry Orchard. I have found that if it's busy it can be a nightmare crossing Coldcut Road and the earlier I can jump off the 78a the better!

Cheers all, think I'll just stick it safe with the 25's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Cheers all, think I'll just stick it safe with the 25's.

Noooooooo,you must take the 78, if only to report back that your alive and well after passing through my beloved Ballyfermot,we've been getting a battering on here lately,we need the good rep:(

Advertisement