Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Assos Bibshorts are overrated

• 24-05-2011 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭

After years of using budget priced bibshorts, I decided to treat myself to a pair of Assos F1 mille S5 bibshorts.
    Now after reading so many positive reviews on these shorts, I was expecting to be blown away by their performance....fit and comfort....
    Now I just feel I have wasted €170 on an overhyped product...

Firstly the bib straps dig onto my shoulders...they are way too short...I did read about assos shorts being designed to fit the rider in the cycling position...But even in the cycling position, the straps are still uncomfortable...

The mille insert feels like sitting on a loaf of bread....seems to bunch up between my legs....causing an uncomfortable hot spot....yuck....

I also hated the feel of the lycra....and the wreched leg-grippers are too loose even on my big thighs.....
    Even the Lidl €8 bibs fit better than these....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

You could try sending them back if there a bad fit.

The Uno's are supposed to be more comfortable than the Mille, cheaper too at around €130.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Side Show Bob

Always Seriously Sore on Sack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭Needabike

Agree with you

Have a pair of F1's and way less comfortable than my €40 club shorts

Seems like alot of Marketing Hype gets them where they are

Same reason some guys rate Planet x bikes lower than Colnago bikes I guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

They can't really fit everyone happilly. I have a pair and for long distances they are by far the best shorts I have. I have a 50euro Giordanna short and while at distances up to 70-80kms they feel exactly the same as the Assos, when the miles start to get significantly more then the Assos just continues to be comfortable. I think shorts are personal thing, like Saddles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭C3PO

I agree with AstraMonti, I find my Assos shorts (particularly the 3/4 Roubaix) fit perfectly. They are a little tight across the shoulders when standing but feel great on the bike. Given the cost I try to use them only for long road spins but they're far more comfortable than anything else I have! Also never pay "full retail"! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

In other news: tuna sandwiches are overrated. I cannot understand why anyone would eat them in preference to ham.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Lumen wrote: »
    In other news: tuna sandwiches are overrated. I cannot understand why anyone would eat them in preference to ham.
    I don't - I've only ever won a race after eating a cheese sandwich
    I am vegetarian

I like Assos though

speaking of which:
    p227_T_FI13_Lady_S5_3.jpg

How could anyone possibly overrate this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Oh to be the meat in an Assos Girl, Compagnolo Girl sandwich..

Seriously though, I'm not going to be convinced to buy these shorts until I see the Assos Girl modelling them whilst assuming the "cycling position".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

This any better...?

p227_T_FI13_Lady_S5_a_4.jpg
    ........................................:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    This any better...?

Not if one is a boobs man. For me though, I'd have to trust that they are comfortable when on the bike. So unless she'll assume that position..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭tippx

I also got a pair of F1 mile bib I,v had them since 08 I find them very comfortable but about 9 months ago I noticed that above the foam on my ass the material has become thread bare practiclly see through (not pretty:eek:) I had to get a lady that dose alterations, and she sewed on a square patch from a pair of my old shorts on to the Assos ,no way I was throwing them out at the price I paid
    Anyone else come across this with Assos?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Assos may have done that for free for you.
    http://www.assos.com/en/72/warranty---repair-policy.aspx
    What exactly does ASSOS guarantee?
    It is our aim to make you a happy cyclist. We therefore guarantee your Total Comfort. We can however, not guarantee that the garment will last forever!
    What is a "war•ran•ty"?
    1. A guarantee on purchased goods that they are of the quality represented and will be replaced or repaired if found detective.
    That is what the dictionary says. At ASSOS we prefer to keep things simple and say: "Any manufacturing defect you note on your garment within the first 300 km / 200 miles on the bike. No questions asked; we simply exchange it."
    What is a repair?
    Naturally, as any other product, ASSOS apparel does wear out!
    Depending on the riding style and on the way one takes care of the garment (see Wear and Store and Wash Instructions), this will occur sooner or later. In the meantime, if a thread breaks, we can repair it and if you crash, we might be able to repair it. But, when, eventually, the material does wear out, we cannot repair it. The majority of the repairs we do, are free of charge, regardless the number of kilometers the garment has.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭tippx

Maybe a rip or tear ,but treadbare all you can do is patch it , It cost me 12 euro for the patch and they have done nearly 4 yrs of milage Havin said that I still have the recipt
    maybe I can sent them back and get discount on a new pair, if you look at the tab inside your shorts they are made in Bulgaria not Switzerland as they like to market?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭fat bloke

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    This any better...?

p227_T_FI13_Lady_S5_a_4.jpg

We can fly a man to the moon, but we can't solve the Baboon's ar$e-effect cycling shorts conundrum.:rolleyes:

Advertisement