Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Nightclub

Options
  • 24-05-2011 11:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

A friend (19 years old) just moved to Cork and finds it hard to get into Havanas at the weekend. What are the best nightclubs for his age in Cork on Fridays??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Pubs wise: the brog, suas, the washington inn (state of it). Clubs I suppose Gorbys, Cubins.

They are fairly handy places to get in to but saying that they are not particularly good. Brog is my favorite out of them and the only one of them I frequent, but thats not to everyones taste.

If its Havanas you want but can't get in try the bailey same kind of a crowd. I think its meant to be over 21s/23s as well but I often head in there with my college buddies and there is a fairly broad age range there and we never had a problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Tennis Village 5aside

Great thanks Mack

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Flux is great, he'd like Loafers too :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

A friend (19 years old) just moved to Cork and finds it hard to get into Havanas at the weekend. What are the best nightclubs for his age in Cork on Fridays??

Havanas is 18's on Tuesday and 20's on Wednesday only...that would be why he finds it hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

In all fairness Havanas is strict enough as it is.I can remeber the first time going there in my mates house before going out and they joked about how its 50/50of getting in..And it literally is.

A friend of my was denied once as they said he was too polluted to even walk(Bouncers exact words)...The funny thing was he was the driver of the night and hadnt touched the stuff in 3 week as of medication :pac::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Friday night in Havanas is also a Gay and Lesbian night upstairs in HB2's if you approach the wrong the door so you wouldnt want to make that mistake, the bouncers usually know the regulars that go their. ( No jokes about back door )

Havanas can be difficult enough to get into on any night unless your reguarly their and the bouncers get to know ya.

For alternatives ya got Cubins, literally across the road. The Bowery is new enough but can be like Havanas in terms of difficulty to get into as its only recently open.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭ofcork

Mangans on careys lane would be young age group as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

ofcork wrote: »

:eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Is that the one with all the mirrors?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

cork45 wrote: »

I haven't been to Mangans for over 10 years - it had loads of mirrors then. In fact my first few trips there I kept walking into them while locked!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

And scumbags - don't forget them :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I walked by Paul St at about 2.15am recently, and it was like a warzone. I have been going out in town for about 15 years at this stage, and honest to God it was the first time I ever felt genuinely intimidated. As we got by the Opera House a Garda car and a Paddy wagon flew by us. No prizes for guessing where it was headed.

I would never send anyone near Mangans. Though I have heard the guy who owns Crane Lane etc has bought Mangans/Newport. No doubt he will disinfect it and make yet another gold mine out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

The last time I was in a club down that lane would have been a good four years ago I'd say and I would have been the oldest by a long shot, I'd doubt there was anyone over 21 in there so it might be handy for the op.

I remember going in to Mangan's around ten years ago with the buddies after we took some trips, I lasted around half an hour until I totally lost the plot, I ended up running out of the place and all the way up Blarney St to the buddies house, horrible experience altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭smileysurfer

Oh how I have fond memories of walking straight into those back in the day!! :P

Seloth wrote: »
    In all fairness Havanas is strict enough as it is.

Is it? Lately it seems to be getting younger and younger, Im 24 now and actually feel old in there sometimes. The bouncers seem to be letting in 18/19 year olds( sometimes even younger) just to keep the numbers up. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

They are lucky they dont get into Havana's full of poser's.
    They should head to Gorby's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

I wouldn't recommend that place to my worst enemy :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

The Pav has Greg and Shane once a month which is well worth going to if you like house music. Only downside is that twat dj StiveG is still trying to make his name on the back of the two lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

murphym7 wrote: »
    I haven't been to Mangans for over 10 years - it had loads of mirrors then. In fact my first few trips there I kept walking into them while locked!:)

Not as bad as me getting freaked out when I saw a girl that looked the exact same as me with the same dress and everything! Even the same drink in her hand that I was drinking! Scary!!

I wasn't even that drunk :rolleyes: :o

I'd say his best bet is Gorby's, it's where I used to hang out at his age and I've heard it's still a pretty good spot for that age group. Ah Gorby's, I loved that place.

This thread makes me feel old :(

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

Ah mangans, that brings me back. The mirrors were a joke when you had a few on board.Walked in to them so many times.A tad rough as well, this was 10 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Oh how I have fond memories of walking straight into those back in the day!! :P

Is it? Lately it seems to be getting younger and younger, Im 24 now and actually feel old in there sometimes. The bouncers seem to be letting in 18/19 year olds( sometimes even younger) just to keep the numbers up. :confused:

Its not that they don't let younger people into havanas its that they get such a huge volume of people up to the door on any given night they can afford to be fussy. There are very few bars that are gonna enforce an age policy on a quiet night, they are trying to run a business

• Advertisement

mackg wrote: »
    Its not that they don't let younger people into havanas its that they get such a huge volume of people up to the door on any given night they can afford to be fussy. There are very few bars that are gonna enforce an age policy on a quiet night, they are trying to run a business

Surely if there is an age restriction it should be enforced whether its busy or not,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

It's been so long since I have been in there but I would hazard a guess the reason it seems to be getting younger is people don't bother going in there anymore. (Edit: its probably still jointed just a new collection of mugs)

Why bother ? Queing up to see will they "leave" you in to pay an exhorbitant admission fee and paying insanely over the odds for a drink.

Go to a late bar.

Flux is great

I think that's no longer Flux :)

CoalBucket wrote: »
    It's been so long since I have been in there but I would hazard a guess the reason it seems to be getting younger is people don't bother going in there anymore. (Edit: its probably still jointed just a new collection of mugs)

Why bother ? Queing up to see will they "leave" you in to pay an exhorbitant admission fee and paying insanely over the odds for a drink.

Go to a late bar.

I dont have any problems getting in there and on the rare occasion I do go there ( just to go with the crowd) a lot of the people in there are 20's or under! That said, I like the music in there and 9 times out of 10 we have a great night there regardless of the crowd. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

All the clubs in Cork are sh1te, late bars are much better.

I still don't understand why people make such a mess in the toilets in these places either.

I mean ... it was on the walls once in fast eddies. how the f*ck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I still don't understand why people make such a mess in the toilets in these places either.

ah jaysus:eek:

but yes, I'm amazed at the state of some of the toilets in these bars/clubs. I actually feel sorry for the staff who have to clean them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Skirty protest? Bulmers Blues?

I dont understand how someone would ever do something like that? Why!! Its revolting!! :confused::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Hedgecutter

Having a bit of a back flash to the 90s when I used to go drinking in cork.

Trying to remember the name of a small pub opposite the Washington pub. It was a long narrow bar if I remember right. Rock music there.

Any ideas ? Is it still there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Having a bit of a back flash to the 90s when I used to go drinking in cork.

Trying to remember the name of a small pub opposite the Washington pub. It was a long narrow bar if I remember right. Rock music there.

Any ideas ? Is it still there?

I assume your thinking of Preachers?

Ya it's still there.

Advertisement