Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching from Airtricity

Options
  • 24-05-2011 11:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭

I switched my gas and electricity to Airtricity last August and would like to switch now to ESB Electic but am wondering whether I will be penalised by Airtricity for moving at this stage or whether I have to stay with them for a certain length of time to avoid leaving penalties. Can't find contract with terms and conditions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭hilloftara

when i was lookin to switch. airtricity had 12 mth contract,i went with bord gais which had none

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi MRBEAVER,
    MRBEAVER wrote: »
    I switched my gas and electricity to Airtricity last August and would like to switch now to ESB Electic but am wondering whether I will be penalised by Airtricity for moving at this stage or whether I have to stay with them for a certain length of time to avoid leaving penalties. Can't find contract with terms and conditions.

Unfortunately we wouldn't be in a position answer that one. The best thing would be to contact Airtricity directly for clarification. I've located their General Terms and Conditions for you on their website, but you may need the Ts&Cs specific to the tariff/offer you signed up on.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

David.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bluestar40

Hi there, I'm having some problems with AirTricity at the moment. Having been with Air Tricity for almost 1.5 yrs and never missed a payment, they have suddenly decided that they have been under-charging me and that I now owe them almost €1300 :confused:. The error is at their end with their budget planner and the fact that they only evaluate it once per year. Their error however only ends up being my problem. I have since spoke with a few other people who have had similar issues with Airtricity but fortunately for them they didn't end up with such high arrears as mine.

I'm in the process of sorting this mess out with Air Tricity but while doing this I'm wondering how soon can I switch back to the ESB? Most likely I have to wait until my arrears are cleared but thought I'd check and see can anyone confirm for me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi bluestar40,
    bluestar40 wrote:
    how soon can I switch back to the ESB? Most likely I have to wait until my arrears are cleared but thought I'd check and see can anyone confirm for me?

You can switch back as soon as you like (see here for our Ts&Cs). You do not need to inform your current electricity provider of your intention to switch; this is the freedom offered by the market.

However, we are not in a position to comment on the arrears you may have with Airtricity; this would need to be settled with them directly (as I'm sure you know already).

For more information about switching back, see here. And if you need any help deciding on the right price plan for you, just send me a PM.

Thanks, :)

David.

This is great news, thanks David. I will read through the ESB price plans and get the switch started later on today :).

After 1.5 yrs I never had a bad thing to say about Airtricity, that is until April'11. Their behaviour has been simply outrageous and I look forward to switching back to the ESB. Everyday I seem to have a new arrears total in their online system. It's going both up and down all the time. Doesn't install a lot of customer confidence and they simply can't be trusted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭leviathon

Actually where do you stand with that "billing glitch" they had? I was suddenly hit with 400 quid because they made a mistake. How do I know they aren't making another mistake and that it's 200 I should owe them? Or that I don't owe them anything at all?

Is there any way to argue against paying that as it was their mess up?

It has made me totally distrust them and I will be switching from them as soon as possible also.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I thought Airtricity said they would to remain the cheapest.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭leviathon

I dunno about them, I reckon my bills are higher since I switched. Hard to know for sure though as it was a very cold winter so useage would have been up, but I think my electricity bill for this month was as high as it was for nov-jan which makes no sense, and yes I have sent them in readings.

After speaking with them about 6 times, I'm also still unsure where I stand with Airtricity. Someone recommended that I log a complaint with them and that I then contact the CER with the complaint details and let them investigate. I'm not sure that will do any good though. I don't know what approach to take for the best, it's all very unfair.
    Will let you know what I decide to do. Only thing that I do know for now is that I won't be their customer for very much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

Me too, i want to switch back to ESB
    airtricity have been quite expensive

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

leviathon wrote: »
    I reckon my bills are higher since I switched. Hard to know for sure though as it was a very cold winter so useage would have been up, .

It's very simple to compare. The Units used are the same regardless of who your supplier is, so it's the Cost per Unit plus Standing charge that makes the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

For those interested in our price plans, info here.

Regards,
    Una

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭djrichard

As of 1st June, tariff options for Airtricity are 14% off electric. Which is the cheapest in the country. If you also have gas, then you can choose 10% off gas and electric, you can also have 15% and 5% off either gas or electric. Its up to you which fuel has the the larger reduction. You don't have to qualify for the discount like you do with Electric Ireland.

It was explained to us in a training course yesterday what happened with the winter billing problems we faced. Apparently there is an automated stop placed on a bill if there is an increase in consumption of 150% from one bill to the next. With the bad winter some bills had a 400% increase! So most bills got stopped and they didn't have.the.resources to cope with all the sudden extra work. Poor excuse really, but that's the.reason they gave.

To reward us for all the hard work, they gifted us with a pen and a thermal flask, both branded celebrating gaining our 500,000 new customers!

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Catalpa1

Thats very interesting DJ havent heard from you since http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72239790

Anyway just for info I am involved in a small way with a business and were advised today by Airtricity of the following

<SNIP>

Please verify to hello@boards.ie that you are authorised by Airtircity to post on their behalf and to share this information on our site.

Thanks

Darragh

I will post an answer tomorrow. All of the new pricing leaflets were delivered today. I wasn't at work as I am way too hungover. Had my first night out in the city centre last night. Went to a nightclub and all drinks were only e2! Amazed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Electric Ireland: Sonia

Hi Catalpa,

FYI:
    Based on the information currently on Airtricity's website, Airtricity's discount relates to electricity unit prices. Their standing charge is still higher than ESB Electric Irelands - when this standing charge is included we still offer the best electricity prices in the market - Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

djrichard wrote: »
    I will post an answer tomorrow. All of the new pricing leaflets were delivered today. I wasn't at work as I am way too hungover. Had my first night out in the city centre last night. Went to a nightclub and all drinks were only e2! Amazed!

That's a dreadful attitude and admission from an Airtricity employee.:rolleyes:

Think I'll stick with Electric Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bmarley

Found AirTricity's billing methods, inaccuracies and customer service appalling. I switched back!

<SNIP>

Please verify to hello@boards.ie that you are authorised by Airtircity to post on their behalf and to share this information on our site.

Thanks

Darragh

<SNIP>

Thanks

Darragh

</SNIP>

Obviously you have to take into consideration the concerns some people have had with customer services. I know its one of the biggest objections I hear from potential customers each day. Airtricity are well aware of it, they claim to have made huge changes to improve it. I guess we shall see soon. I'm as cynical as everyone else!

Right, its late and I feel my bed calling me. Goodnight.

• Advertisement

Ok I posted yesterday that Airtricity had UPPED their prices for some businesses and asked Dj to justify his claim that Airtricity were the cheapest, I dont believe they are.
    When I logged on I see this

Thanks

Darragh

I have NO involvement with Airtricity other than being involved with a business that is movign AWAY from them.
    In fairness to Dj he replied I think but it was Snipped so I cant see the answers to the questions.
    Some other guy posted my question and DJs hangover story here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72544301#post72544301

Maybe DJ should repost in that forum stating he "understand that the current cost per unit is etc

Mind you this is an interesting quote
    Obviously you have to take into consideration the concerns some people have had with customer services. I know its one of the biggest objections I hear from potential customers each day. Airtricity are well aware of it, they claim to have made huge changes to improve it. I guess we shall see soon. I'm as cynical as everyone else

Some strange atitudes on this forum. A mod on another thread about this very thread called me, or implied I was an idiot for posting up about the prices Airtricity charge.

I never stated I was representing Airtricity in any official capacity, in fact, at the start of my post which contained the exact rates of all Airtricitys tarriffs, I stated that I was not representing them in any way at all, other than to help contribute to the site. I stated that I had gained from lots of advice from other users on Boards and that I was only posting to let others know about the prices.

I get paid commission for everyone I change, not by people who apply online or call up themselves. There is no reason why I should care whether each individual changes or not. I was just giving a little back about a product which I happen to do as a vocation. I thought this community spirit is what most enjoy about the forum? Ive not been a member long, but if this is the kind of attitude that is put my way, then I wont be a participating member for much longer.

Was there a reason why my unit rates were snipped? Does every member have to be verified before they can post such things? Surely I can post up that kind of info. Im tempted to post them up again, however judging by the moderators responses on the other thread, I fear a banning of my account.

Hi Dj hope your head is sorted, sorry I missed your prices, maybe you could post them in the thread I mentioned, above,and suggest that these appear to be Airtricitys prices, still think Airtricity are slightly dearer from looking at your website and ESBs and bonkers.ie btw any idea what the bounced direct debit charge with you lads is, a mate told me it was €20 but that sounds mad.
    Fair play for coming on giving your view point

Hi, it wasn't possible to post on that thread as it was closed. Just remember tthat Airtricity give their discount for 12 months from signup. Electric Irelands discounted rates are only until 31st march 2011. This makes them more expensive over a 12 month period as you only get the discount for the next 10 months. This period will reduce with each passing month.

This info is provided by me personally, not from Airtricity. All prices etc.can be verified on site. Make sure that Bonkers comparison site has been updated, I checked yesterday and it had not included airtricitys new rates.

So for the cheapest electric in Ireland for 12 months, you know where to go. :)

I found out what.nightclub I was in, not sure on the spelling, but it was Diceys in Harcourt Street. €2 all night for any drink, even the premium brands. Oh wait, do I need to post a disclaimer on this that I don't represent that nightclub? Posting prices for drinks....seems the same as everyone else's posts.about tesco, eircom, UPC rates that I see without them having their entire posts snipped. Or should I say edited, seeing as it was deemed OK to leave any part of my post which criticized Airtricity. Hardly seems fair and honest.

Catalpa1 wrote: »
    Hi Dj hope your head is sorted, sorry I missed your prices, maybe you could post them in the thread I mentioned, above,and suggest that these appear to be Airtricitys prices, still think Airtricity are slightly dearer from looking at your website and ESBs and bonkers.ie btw any idea what the bounced direct debit charge with you lads is, a mate told me it was €20 but that sounds mad.
    Fair play for coming on giving your view point

Sorry I forgot about your.question. I'm not certain what the returned DD charge is. I advise people to ensure they have sufficient funds in their accounts. They also send out a smarterenergy card which can be used.at the post office, billpay zones etc, to prepay and reduce the DD amount. I know if you cancel your direct debit they will ask for a €300 deposit. All of the companies are trying to push people onto direct debit. In the UK its very common to pay via DD, the thinking is different with the Irish people I've met. They don't like it too much and have told me they would rather pay more to avoid DD. Ususally the objections about DD come from lower demographic areas or where someone is concerned about future job.security. Quite understandable.

All I can find is a note on the direct debit mandate stating "There may be a charge for any returned direct debits to cover administration costs".

Not much use that. If you are worried about missing the payments, perhaps its not worth the risk. Peace of mind and all that! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi djrichard,

Just to reconfirm, based on the information currently on Airtricity's website: Airtricity's discount relates to electricity unit prices.
    Its standing charge is still higher than that of ESB Electric Ireland. When this standing charge is included, we continue to offer the best electricity prices in the market.

Regards,
    Una

Hi djrichard,

Just to reconfirm, based on the information currently on Airtricity's website: Airtricity's discount relates to electricity unit prices.
    Its standing charge is still higher than that of ESB Electric Ireland. When this standing charge is included, we continue to offer the best electricity prices in the market.

Regards,
    Una

Based on the information on the ESB Electric Ireland site, your extra 6% discount is also off the unit rates.

"The 4% discount for DD is applied to the unit rate"
    "The additional 2% online billing discount is applied to the unit rates"

You base average consumption at 5300 units per year. The saving is ONLY for 10 months, not for 1 year. The figures are misleading in my opinion. For a 1 year period, the Airtricity offer works out cheaper despite the slightly higher standing charges as their savings for for 12 months from signup. Each passing day EIs discounted period decrease and the savings reduce.

To confirm, Bonkers comparison site was last updated in April before the new rates. They also don't take into account the fact EIs savings are ending on 31st March 2012.

Hiya DJ thanks for the heads up on Diceys must take a trip down there next time I am around that area sounds like my kinda place

Working on the published figures from both sites I still make out that ESB is currently the cheaper option, even allowing for the end period being March 2012. What if I stayed with ESB until March 2012 then moved to you guys would I then get 12 months at your new low rate ???
    I rang Airtricity myself this morning and after tortuous conversations and questioning of a lady she told me that your offer is also limited as in I cant do the above she also said she thought the bounced dd fee was €20.00
    Given you feel its such a great offer I am amazed that a company as publicity conscious as Airtricity hasnt taken out full page ads advising the world that they now offer the cheapest electricity in Ireland, maybe that old advertising standards authority ruling a few years back has made you guys a bit cautious regarding claims

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/ireland/article6898086.ece
    Anyway best of luck in all you do and maybe Diceys is a good place for the next Boards night out......with a name like DJ Richard you'll be most welcome :D

Advertisement