Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone and internet bill must be a misteak!!

Options
  • 24-05-2011 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭

Hi hope someone can help

Recently I switched phone and internet service providers same company different name. I pay one bill for phone and broadband modem stick phone package and broadband @ €10 per month. I just received my 3rd bill ... and it has been a bit of an unexpected whopper... the bill claims I have used €267 on internet broadband charges!!!

At first I assumed it was a mistake or that someone else could have been tapping into my connection. My phone providers say it is neither and that I have gone over my 10gigbyte allowance. Now I now freag all about these things but I do know that 10kb is a hell of a lot of info.

I haven’t downloaded any movies or music. My internet habits that consist of facebook boards emailing blogging and streaming of rte programes are the same as when I used Meteor ready to go and would usually get a month out of €20 top up.

I rang customer care and they say that i am liable but cannot explain what or why the bill is so high and from what I gather assume I am lying and have been downloading and what have ya.. Which I have not..So what I am wondering is what are my options.

Any advice help or direction would be greatly appreciated as it is I am seriously stressed out bout this.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lemeister

A possibility is that streaming rte programmes could well be eating a chunk out of your allowance and causing you to exceed it.

Who is your broadband with?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

Emobile. Worst mistake EVER! Surely some streaming wouldn't use up that amount of data though.?

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

You should ask for a report on the downloads for the month.

Which device do you have from eMobile:
    http://www.emobile.ie/phonesplansmore/broadband/devices/

If its the E5 Wireless hub it could have been accessed by others.

Good idea to stop using it until you get to the bottom of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

Thanks its E17..I think.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

pseudonym1 wrote: »
    Emobile. Worst mistake EVER! Surely some streaming wouldn't use up that amount of data though.?

Depends on how much streaming you do and the quality of the streams, 10GB could easily be used up by streaming in a month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Agree streaming can cause it. I have I think 120gb allowance a month but usually use between 50 and 80 or so. I don't do a huge amount of downloading but I would be emailing and uploading large files, sometimes downoading large files.

Anyway, speak to a supervisor in there, if they value as a customer they may help you out. I had an issue once where my mobile company were charging me 250 on one bill saying I was using the internet on the phone (before the smart phones), now with a 2 yr old who liked to rob my phone I asked when it was used and how often and it seemed to be only a couple of times but obviously she pressed a LOT of buttons. They did help me out, the agreed to let me spread the payment over a couple of bills and deducted a chunk of it, I think 70 euro if I remember correctly. Just call them and chance your arm, it is always worth a shot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

pseudonym1 wrote: »

Emobile & Meteor are the same network and the same owners (Eircom), but streaming does eat up useage very quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

To put streaming into a bit more context...
    From the rte player FAQ (http://www.rte.ie/player/#s=help&g=2) Q11 says that you would use up about 240MB per hour.

So your 10GB allowance will allow you to download about 42 hours worth of watching that (which is less than an hour and a half every day... for the entire month)

Add this onto what ever other downloads (any youtube, or if you run games on facebook etc)

Advertisement