Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Benelli

Options
  • 25-05-2011 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

Thinking of getting a new Benelli semi auto, anyone any experiences with them? Unsure on what model to get. Anyone know any shops that have a few? What prices are they going for these days?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

Xplor.er wrote: »
    Thinking of getting a new Benelli semi auto, anyone any experiences with them? Unsure on what model to get. Anyone know any shops that have a few? What prices are they going for these days?

I have a Benelli Woodcock 20 bore and for me its the best game gun I have ever had and I have had more than a few good game guns. What would you be using it for?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Xplor.er

kermitpwee wrote: »
    I have a Benelli Woodcock 20 bore and for me its the best game gun I have ever had and I have had more than a few good game guns. What would you be using it for?

it will be used for everything. game, vermin and clays

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭leupold90

I had one a few years ago.

Pros: Simple action, easy to strip and maintain. For me it pointed and shot well. Generally slimmer than other gas operated SAs.

Cons: It may not cycle properly with light loads. Mine didn't usually like anything less than 32g. More recoil than gas operated SAs.

If you google 'review benelli...' there are tons of reviews to be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

leupold90 wrote: »
    Cons: It may not cycle properly with light loads. Mine didn't usually like anything less than 32g. More recoil than gas operated SAs.

I currently have a Beretta Xtrema2 but before that I had a Benelli Super Black Eagle 2.

The Benelli handled very well, fit was good and I liked it a lot. Had the same problem as leupold90 though. Would not cycle anything under 32gram reliably. Even Eley Olympic 28gram Clay cartridges which are known for being a harder kicking cart. Didn't bother me too much as I used it mainly for hunting anyway. When you think about it, that's not really acceptable from a shotgun that costs nearly 2000 euro.

You can get lucky or unlucky with the Benelli. If possible shoot the one you are thinking of buying at 50 clays and see will it cycle clay cartridges reliably. If it does then happy days as generally Benelli shotguns handle fantastically for autos.

Nothing less than 32gm:eek:. looks like il be using the a400 for the clays then so!
    surprised they dont cycle the 28gm eleys, there a good shell!

anyone know what prices the benellis are going for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

I've a Benelli Montrefeltro (left - handed) and never had a problem with it......recycles all cartridges. I find the recoil very light & the narrow foreend handles like an O/U.

If you are having a problem with a Benelli not cycling lighter loads give the magazine chamber (where you insert cartridges in the bottom) a rub of your cleaning mop when cleaning the gun. Just push the mop up an inch or two to give it a light coat of oil.

This plug can get slightly stiff if used in rain or dusty conditions. This should ensure you have no more jams no matter what cartridge you use..works on all semi's.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

J.R. wrote: »
    If you are having a problem with a Benelli not cycling lighter loads give the magazine chamber (where you insert cartridges in the bottom) a rub of your cleaning mop when cleaning the gun. Just push the mop up an inch or two to give it a light coat of oil.

This plug can get slightly stiff if used in rain or dusty conditions. This should ensure you have no more jams no matter what cartridge you use..works on all semi's.

I was never that lucky. :(

I had it spotless all the time because of its tendency to fail and this did not solve it. My opinion is that there are good and bad Benelli semi autos. If you're lucky enough to get a good one it will cycle everything. I've seen this first hand as one of the lads I go shooting with has a different Benelli and it cycles anything (even with little to no maintenance).

My brother had an original Super Black Eagle and it was the same as mine. Fail to cycle on clay loads. So of the 3 Benelli semi autos I have first hand experience with, 2 jam with clay cartridges and one doesn't. Anecdote does not equal data but it's enough to make me cautious anyway.

People who have a good Benelli will tell you they are trouble free. People who have had issues may tell you to avoid them. I would take the cautious approach and test fire any Benelli shotgun I was considering buying. It will only take around 30 clays to see any issues.

i fired 25shots out of a S/H benelli supersport, cycled very well. the dealer was looking €1500. it was in good enough condition.

another dealer quoted me €1450 for a new benelli montefeltro and 100shells. Any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

Vegeta wrote: »
    , that's not really acceptable from a shotgun that costs nearly 2000 euro.

You're damn right it's not! It's be back in the shop for if it was mine! What use is a SA that doesn't cycle 28g!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I had a Benelli super 90 back in 2002 for about 3 years. Never had any problems with light loads. purchased it new for €1050 accross the border, put 200 shells of heavy loads through it and after that only ever refused fibre wad shells.

I won more at flappers with that Benelli than I ever did with a Beretta or my current clay buster.. It was a game gun it shot where you pointed it.

maybe when the new boom is back I will get a woodcock for the country:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

another dealer quoted me €1450 for a new benelli montefeltro and 100shells. Any good?

Like I said above I've one for the past 6 years - fires all shells...clays....game......the heaviest I put in it are Eley Alphamax no. 3 for foxes......and RC 37 gram No. 4 for high flying duck. Although proofed for 3'' shells up to 56 gram I never use them & probably never will.

I'd fire about 2,000 shells (no 6 - 32 g) during summer decoying season & use it in the worst of weather at duck etc...........fires 3 in a row no bother ......never once had a shell jam or any problem whatsoever.

They are very pointable .......more like an O/U that a semi.....and easy to carry on a long hunt.

I was limited in choice as I'm left - handed & wanted a left handed semi. No regrets with purchase.......couldn't fault it.....it has never let me down & is very easy to clean & maintain.

If I tried to find a very minor fault it would be that I find it quicker & easier to unload by removing all the cartridges through the breech rather that take the first cartridge from the breech & then turn the gun upside down and remove the others from underneath out of the magazine tube.......I find that way fiddly & slower .......but it's only a minor thing that doesn't bother me & perhaps easy if I tried it more often ..........but old habits die hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

Vegeta wrote: »
    I currently have a Beretta Xtrema2.

you lucky git:D can't wait till get an Xtrema2, there class.

Had a Benelli supernova in the states not sure what there called here, it was for waterfowling and it would shoot all day long with no problems, except what was mentioned above about not cycling anything under 32g. Other than that pure work horses.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭beretta686s

whats wrong with the 400,u getting rid of it,was thinking of getting 1

whats wrong with the 400,u getting rid of it,was thinking of getting 1

Iv had a few Pm's today asking will i sell the a400 and the answer was a most definate NO, and probable never will. Awesome gun!
    im gettin a benelli cos i sold my 686 so i have an open lisence so i decided to get another semi. i just love semi's.

beretta686s i really advise you to get an a400, you wont regret it

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mayfly36

i have the benelli cordoba, and it cycles all cartridges. Never had an issue with it apart from clay shells that use the small plastic shot. Bits got cought up in the mechanism as the shells were being ejected. Noticed the problem the next day as i had 2 misfires on live quarry, stripped it and found fragments eveywhere. But apart from that, im well pleased with the performance and reliability, no kickback either, can shoot all day long and have no aches or pains. This is 1 semi that wont be up for sale.

i would love a supersport, cordoba or crio evo but funds wont stretch that far, so i think im gonna settle for the montefeltro.

Fired the supersport and it was awesome, a new one would set ya back over 2k.:(

What about the ne
    Benelli Super Vinci, a totally new concept design by benelli and much lighter than all previous models

silo_1004_super_vinci_12_syn.png

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭leupold90

Benelli say on their website to "Use 3 dram 1-1/8 oz. loads in all Benelli 12 gauge shotguns" . Or 32g to us.

Mine would function with Hull Soverign 28g. These shells are fast (1500fps accordin to website) and I found the recoil similar to 32g.

Then again I've met people with Benellis who claimed they would cycle anything.

I seen the Vinci in a shop in Scotland, it would be a serious gun alright, but i dont know if id buy one, id rather a more traditional loking montefetro or raffaello.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭insertclever

I've had a Benelli M2 for a couple years now and haven't had any problems at all with it.

Cycles anything I put in it. Can't fault it, very happy with it.

• Advertisement

I've had a Benelli M2 for a couple years now and haven't had any problems at all with it.

Cycles anything I put in it. Can't fault it, very happy with it.

i was thinking about the m2 also, there roughly the same price as the montefeltro. il have to see if any dealers have them,so i can handle it and see what i think of it

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭raff e30

i have a supersport and love it:D:D.gettn a m2 as soon as i have the funds:p.
    got it brand new for €1850 and the m2 new is €1650

raff e30 wrote: »
    i have a supersport and love it:D:D.gettn a m2 as soon as i have the funds:p.
    got it brand new for €1850 and the m2 new is €1650

€1850 is a very good price for the supersport but €1650 for the m2 is expensive, iv been quoted €1500 for the m2

€1850 is a very good price for the supersport but €1650 for the m2 is expensive, iv been quoted €1500 for the m2

where did you get the quote for €1500

theres a second benelli m2 comfortec for sale here inexcellent nick...

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?24687-Benelli-M2-Comfortec&p=224088#post224088

Well lads, went down to my dealer to see my new benelli vinci, imported from the uk. it feels and points like a dream, just have to wait for the lisence now. Thanks for all the advice lads

Well lads, went down to my dealer to see my new benelli vinci, imported from the uk. it feels and points like a dream, just have to wait for the lisence now. Thanks for all the advice lads

€€€€ ?

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭beretta686s

got the xplor 400 unico what a gun was out decoying the weekend must say delighted with it

raff e30 wrote: »
    €€€€ ?

€1650:(

• Advertisement

got the xplor 400 unico what a gun was out decoying the weekend must say delighted with it

There a serious gun alright, best of luck with her. Roll on the 1st

Advertisement