Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Songs that take you back

Options
  • 25-05-2011 3:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭

Some will mock this song. But I came across it while mindlessly skipping through vids on youtube. It takes me right back to when I was a fledgling metalhead. I would have been 11 or 12 when this popped up on either Kerrang or MTV2.

I don't intend on actually getting back into this band.. just thought it was interesting to hear the sounds that first got my hooked is all.

G'wan - post yours.

Comments

Ah go on then...

Fair to say one of the bands that changed my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

remember hearing this in the early ninthies, and changed everything!! everytime I hear it, it reminds me of drinking all summer long by the Lake, one of the best summers ever! oh the memories, also October Rust is another Album that has the same effect:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Rather then take me back to 1991, when I would have been 6, these songs take me back to when I was first getting into music and really some of the first good Metal songs I remember hearing that made me take note to the bands (especially the versions posted here)

I remember seeing that video shortly after the first Metallica video I ever saw. At the time I just taught "****, this band are the business!"

This one I first heard in New York on holiday when I walked into a HMV, I was about 15, and for me this was a turning point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭silent sage

As regards my early experiences of metal, I remember these guys performing Broken Home live on a balcony which was several floors up a building where the MTV music awards were being held somewhere around 2000, and my immediate reaction was like; "wait… what?". I think it was the unrivalled, raw, congruent, ADHD fuelled emotion/passion of Jacoby that made me think; "I want me some of this".

As I had been in the progressive years of a developing love for computers & technology (which I went on to study), and which they were also quite surprisingly savvy with, I headed straight to their website and more specifically their message board.

(Only censored version on youtube, unfortunately)

To cut a very long story short, I was the first to leak the lyrics to their second album (namely the song "Time and Time Again") to the internet under the name "Fighting Irish" (the validity of this leak was also personally confirmed by Dave Buckner and followed by a visit to Dublin, sweet), but I realised that after sitting with the release of their second album for a while – I knew I had bigger fish to fry.

<.<
    >.>

Anyway, say what you will about papa roach, their first album appealed directly to my state of mind at the time, which had been raised on 2pac, Wu-Tang and Ma$e’s Harlem World amongst many many others. I think Infest simply added a different form of expression to an idea which had been brewing within me for quite some time. In fact, 2000 was a rather consequential year for me as regards my metal experience, what with Infest, White Pony, Hybrid Theory, Toxicity and Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog Flavored Water coming into the fold. Those albums probably formed my "metallic foundation".

************One of the tunes from the album*************

************One of the tunes from the album*************

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

The Rocky Horror Show : The Time Warp ...... ya see it's a time warp - it takes you back ...in time ....

I'll get me coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

All the hair metal bands just before I got into thrash, times of starting to go knacker drinking, 3 mth summer holidays and teenage heartache..........aah

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

The Maiden line up with jailbird Paul Dianno, now that takes me back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

About ten years ago when this was in rotation on kerrang and mtv 2.
    Sitting through hours of videos to hear it because you knew it was coming at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

rednik wrote: »

The Maiden line up with jailbird Paul Dianno, now that takes me back.

That came on the radio a few weeks back, think it may have been the rock show that is on TodayFM on Saturday nights, and I had a big wave of nostalgia wash over me.

Weirdly enough I am pretty sure it was followed by the song that follows it in this thread. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

:).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

first metal album i ever bought.it was on cassette and i ended up buying it again after it wore out

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

I was already big into System Of A Down and Linkin Park at the time (no Minutes to Midnight yet, thank god) and a friend of mine showed me Only For The Weak by In Flames.

I already knew about screaming from songs like Soil by SOAD and Faint by LP, but I had no idea there were bands that did it relatively full-time. In Flames are still my favourite band, but the older songs take me back :) I've since become a devotee of the Gothenbug sound (Soilwork, Arch Enemy, Scar Symmetry, Dark Tranquility etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

RayCon wrote: »
    <Huey Lewis and The News>

I'll get me other coat.

You'd be psycho not to like this tune ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭deeks

This is the song that first got me into Megadeth. Rust in Peace was released shortly after and the rest, as they say, is history.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I was actually wanting to post in this thread for a while just to show what takes me back, as is the point, because I love a bit nostalgia. Although the ironic thing about that is that I could remember anything that I still love and reminds me of way back when, yet not having listened to it in ages. And something came to me there whilst flicking past the artist name on my MP3 player in bed and thinking it's been a while since I listened to them. So I grabbed my phone and here I am. Fucking class stuff! Who remembers this? :)

Advertisement