Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone vs Eircom

• 25-05-2011 5:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

I'm considering switching my BB from Eircom to Vodafone. I've read quite a few posts on the forum about the dropping Vodafone connection and I'm wondering if I would be better off just staying with Eircom.

I'd really love to escape the clutches of Eircom and their overpriced, low capped service. UPC isnt in my area so Vodafone seems the only logical option.

Will I be making a huge mistake if I go with Vodafone and have to go groveling back to Eircom in a couple of months time :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭OMG Its EoinD

Right. I live in an area where there is no UPC and 3meg DSL max.

I have Eircom 3meg. It's great ( except when online Xbox with 4 people hogging the internet :rolleyes: )

But Vodafone came knocking one day claiming same speeds + cheaper prices + 10gigs a month extra. I said id wait for the neighbours to switch first to see how the broadband was. It was not good. Pings of ~100ms compared to my 35-40ms and lower speeds ( not by a huge amount but they were getting 2.5 when I was getting 2.7 ) yet they had same stats and same router as they kept the Eircom one.

My friend had BT which was perfect and he got switched to Vodafone. Awful for Xbox apparently and this week he switched to Eircom and he has been really happy since.

But I know people who have fine Vodafone and **** Eircom.

But one thing , my household regulary uses 100+GB a month with Eircom and never have we been charged a cent , we are on the 30GB plan as there are no higher packages where I live. But my neighbors got a bill last week that had extra due to going over the limit ( 40GB ).

Meh Eircom get a really bad rep but they ain't that bad.
    </2cents>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Try www.thepiratebay.org and let us know. Despite the argument of the legality of that site I'd go for the provider that wouldn't kotow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭OMG Its EoinD

Try www.thepiratebay.org and let us know. Despite the argument of the legality of that site I'd go for the provider that wouldn't kotow

It's not as if I can't go to www.hidemyass.com and plop it in there ( even though I'd prefer not to ). I don't care as long as they supply me solid and reliable broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Larkenn

I do hate Eircoms spying techniques. This is my main reason for wanting to get away from them. I don't play XBox and if there isnt a huge difference in speed then I might just give Vodafone a go.

I can always switch back to one of Eircoms cheaper packages. I'm stuck on a €63 for 30GB 3MB speed package. They won't let me switch to a better value package :mad:

I'm in the North Dublin area. If anyone uses Vodafone here I'd love your opinion on it.

What does a ping do? :o

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Larkenn wrote: »
    What does a ping do? :o
    Ping operates by sending Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP) echo request packets to the target host and waiting for an ICMP response. In the process it measures the time from transmission to reception (round-trip time)[1] and records any packet loss. The results of the test are printed in form of a statistical summary of the response packets received, including the minimum, maximum, and the mean round-trip times, and sometimes the standard deviation of the mean.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Juicy432

Hi guys my vodafone bb is currently pinging at 745 and most times higher which is absolutely terrible. It's like being back up on dial up connection. This only started happening in the last few weeks. I've reset my router a million times and changed the filter. If they don't fix it tomorrow when I ring again I will have to go to the robbing eircom.

Advertisement