Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is the game you'll always remember?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Gravitar - excellent arcade game. A mixture of asteroids with gravity.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

Final Fantasy 7, that game just clicked with me, i loved everything about it, the story the environment, atmosphere, music, character design.
    There was nothing i didn't love about it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

alexa5x5 wrote: »
    WTF?:eek: is this a game you've dreamed up?

It's actually real believe it or not :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Holy $hit! :eek: why am I not suprised you had this :rolleyes::D

:o
    Everyone had it tho! I do remember having one game for the Amiga called 'Party Games', you wiggled the joystick to make yer man ride yer wan :D

If you put "Party Games Amiga" into Google Images you will see it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭jimcoolding

Multiplayer Crash Team bandicoot on the ps1.

Now you can /thread or whatever that is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭Flojo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Incredible_Machine_(series)

Spent bloody hours at this! Major nostalgic moment! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Wibbs wrote: »

The first I ever played was the original Space invaders in '79. It was wheeled outside a shop in Dublin on a daily basis. Didn't last long with the rain. Doh!

Remmebr playing that Star Wars arcade game (that you sat in and it had hand controls) where all the graphics were Tron-like lattices where the AbbeyMall/Epicurean Food place is now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Didn't get a chance until late in life but Metal Gear Solid and Resident Evil 3:Nemesis. Beaten them both more times than I can remember.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

Crash Bandicoot!

stovelid wrote: »
    Remmebr playing that Star Wars arcade game (that you sat in and it had hand controls) where all the graphics were Tron-like lattices where the AbbeyMall/Epicurean Food place is now.

I used to love that game in the arcades, shooting Darth Vader's Tie Fighter to complete the level :D

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭sinjin_smythe

1.Golden Axe
    2.Gods (brilliant!!!)
    3.Dungeon Keeper
    4.Carmageddon

Still love all the old school stuff, no amount of better graphics can change that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

The last ninja. I remember being blown away by the graphics
    NinjaRemix-Amiga_Wilderness.png

also midnight resistance (but it was only possible with the infinite lives cheat)

weedhead wrote: »
    1.Golden Axe
    2.Gods (brilliant!!!)
    3.Dungeon Keeper
    4.Carmageddon

Still love all the old school stuff, no amount of better graphics can change that.

Used to love Golden Axe and Double Dragon in the arcades, nothing better in DD than catching some fella by the hair and kneeing him straight in the face....repeatedly :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭alexa5x5

The first game I ever played was Friday the 13th on the Attari, it was my uncles and he never let me have a go but would scare me with the cover (a hockey mask with blood streaming out the eyes), when he finally gave in and let me play I realised the cover was much scarier than the game itself. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

I was addicted to Doom when it came out, cracking monster game.

Have to also go with this one! along with Hexen and Heretic, these are the games that got me totally hooked into PC gaming!
    Thanks Alexa5x5 for the rmeinder, now have to get them out again and see how I can get them going again on Windows 7.

Thanks for the great thread! Just thought I would update with this link. Cant wait for the weekend and give this a go!
    http://dosgamers.reijkman.nl/dos-games/doom-heretic-hexen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord on the Apple II.

Epic stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wizardry:_Proving_Grounds_of_the_Mad_Overlord

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Worms....

the game

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

+1 for Super Mario Bros. 3

First proper game I owned, so I remember first playing it and being completely useless at it, could barely jump over holes and make it past the first piranha plant.
    To go from there to finally beating it, at 2am on a Saturday morning how many years later, felt brilliant.

The great thing is I'm not just being nostalgic. I played it again fairly recently and it's still brilliantly playable, tough and full of secrets.

I keep telling myself I'm going to get round to challenge myself by going straight to the final world from world 1 using the warp whistles and beat it that way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

The last ninja. I remember being blown away by the graphics
    NinjaRemix-Amiga_Wilderness.png

Last Ninja for me too.

Other mentions for

Terminator 2
    Jurassic Park on the SNES
    And some arcade football game I can't remember to name of which allowed you to completely hack the team you were playing against as well as the ref.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Blitz on the VIC20...

7574.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭alexjk

Sonic 1 & 2, Streets of Rage and Golden Axe.
    We didn't have an SNES in our house but I loved Super Mario World as well. We would play for hours, willing each other to die then getting into a rage when the console overheated.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

James Pond anyone?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

Pac Man,Centipede and Stampede on Atari 2600. Rambo,1942 and Platoon on C64.Dr Mario,Tetris and World Cup on Game Boy. F-Zero,Mario Allstars,NBA Jam,FIFA International Soccer and Killer Instinct on SNES. Wipeout,Criticom,Cyberia.Agile Warrior,Destruction Derby,F1 and GTA on PS1,GTA San Andreas,Urban Chaos,Smugglers Run,The Warriors,GTA 3,GTA Vice City and Scarface on PS2.GTA 4, Forza,Pro Evolution and Dj Hero on Xbox 360

The Last Ninja was brilliant, only bad bit is where you had to go into the Park Toilets to fight some guy and you couldn't see what was happening....for all you knew George Michael could have been in there jizzing all over you :rolleyes: :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Altered Beast was atrocious! Has to be Alex Kidd for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

Adamantium wrote: »
    Worms....

the game

Thank God you clarified it was the game because worms are something you want to forget!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

So ADDICTIVE!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Sonic, Streets Of Rage, Street Fighter 2, GTA3 and Vice City. Out of all though Vice City would still be my favorite, everything about that game, fantastic memories :)

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Legend of Zelda on the n64. Some of the best games ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭tony007

I'm trying to remember a pirate pc game. It mainly involved controlling ships. It had the distinct line ''A message from the governor has just arrived'', which was said a couple of times throughout the game. You started off with one port and one ship and you could capture pirate ships or merchant ships. It'd be great if I could get the name of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Hackysack

Super Street Fighter II Turbo

Anyone remember North & South (hope this clip is right)

Or the ultimate car game, Supercars II

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

centipede for the atari 2600,they spared no expense with the commercials aswell:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭tony007

Auvers wrote: »

Thats it! Thanks a million!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

spent a fortune on this when i was a kid.downloaded it a while ago and its still near impossible to finish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Tekkan on the PS1. Good times as a ten year old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

TETRIS!!!

Ultimate Gameboy Game and what music
    dum dum-dum dum do dum dum-dum do di dum dum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Donkey Kong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I wasted hours on this dinky game called Mousetrap. If I found it now and an emulator to play it I'd probably get hooked again.

Spent hours in the arcade playin Shinobi. Then a couple of years later found it for my computer. It wasn't the same playing it without the stink of chips in the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

I can't believe Pokemon Red and Blue haven't been mentioned.

Was I the only one who was completely addicted to them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

Masked Man wrote: »

Correct. Only you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

jme2010 wrote: »
    Correct. Only you.

Ah well. Everybody else's loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Chase H.Q - Practically 20 years later I still say "Let's go Mr. Driver" everytime I play. Loved that game.

Sunset Riders - Pure 90's cowboy shoot 'em up

Bomberman - Any one of these Bomberman games I loved playing. Great craìc with a few buddies.

Mortal Kombat II - Without a doubt the best in the series. Just got the tone and violence right.

Virtua Racing / Daytona Racing - Short but sweet addictive games I loved playing in the arcades.

Time Crisis - Impossible for me to pass by one of these and not play them. Completed TC 2 on a boat over to England on 1 credit..............noboby was around to see it :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

On Christmas night, watching my 70 year old grandmother trying to shoot ducks on Duck Hunt for the first Nintendo, that Santa had brought that Christmas. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭privateBeavis

Great game and soundtrack and at the time always thought the graphics were amazing.
    Check out some tasty cutscenes here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRLqwsXebHQ&feature=player_detailpage#t=593s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

But we need to put this into context by platform.

NES =...........Mario Bros / Duck Hunt
    Gameboy =....Tetris
    SNES =.........Super Mario / Donkey Kong / Killer Instinct
    Sega =.........Sonic / Streets of Rage / Street Figher / Mortal Kombat
    N64 =...........Golden Eye / Lamborghini
    PS1 =...........Metal Gear Solid / Resident Evil 2 / GTA
    PS2 =...........Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater / GTA Vice City/ San Andreas
    XB360 =........Halo / GTA IV / Bioshock
    PC =.............Crysis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Masked Man wrote: »

Everyone here is more than five years old.

Too many to mention really now that I think about it, especially on the Amiga. Outrun, James Pond, Gods, Golden Axe, Superfrog, Kick Off 2. Team 17 were untouchable for a while. The EA/Rockstar Games of their time for the Amiga.

In terms of consoles, probably most remember Street Fighter on the SNES and
    COW LAUNCHED on the Megadrive. Goldeneye for the N64 and Wipeout 2097 on the PS1. GTA:VC/GTA:SA on PS2.

PC games would have to be Sim City and Doom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

I loved Super Ghouls and Ghosts on the SNES. I never got a chance to complete it though-my brother erased all my saves. :mad:
    I love the music to it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement