Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is the game you'll always remember?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

seamus wrote: »
    Everyone here is more than five years old.

huh that's weird cause so is everybody I know who played the games when they first came out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Masked Man wrote: »
    huh that's weird cause so is everybody I know who played the games when they first came out.
    OK, I'll admit to watching (and enjoying) the cartoon on sky when I came home from college. But I don't think Pokemon has ever been as big here as in the States. In fact, mobile gaming has never been that big here, compared to the likes of the US and Japan. Gameboy was relatively popular as is the DS, but things like the Gameboy Colour and PSP (and Atari Lynx!) were fairly niche. We seem to prefer being able to play on a big screen rather than on the bus or wherever. Maybe it's the social aspect of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

1) Jungle Strike
    2) Desert Strike
    3) Urban Strike

in that order - still have the old sega mega drive set up in the house. Everyone over to mine for a game of Streets of Rage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

Masked Man wrote: »
    I can't believe Pokemon Red and Blue haven't been mentioned.

Was I the only one who was completely addicted to them?

Nope, me too. Pokémon was brilliant back then and is still going strong, we even have a forum for it on Boards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Crash Team Racing on the PS1 :D
    Fifa 98-Road to the World Cup-N64
    Commandos on the PC..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

1) Fifa 95 - Mega Drive
    2) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - NES
    3) Pole Position - 2600

Notable mention to Ace of Aces and Microprose soccer on the C64

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bigwormbundoran

Resident Evil 2 springs to mind here, me and the brother got it on the release date, I was 7 at the time, twas played to the balls over and over and over again, god I loved it.

"who are ya!? what are ya doin here!?" from it always randomly springs into my head for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

What is your favourite video game that you played as a child? Your favourite video game could of been played on a PC, Gameboy, Playstation, Nintendo, etc name the console or computer or handheld game device that you played the game on.

the Streets of Rage series (getting whipped by ladies dressed in PVC was great :D), Sonic the Hedgehog, Mario Bros, Duck Hunt, the Mortal Kombat series, Doom 1 & 2, Wolfenstein 3D, and then later Tekken, Turok 64, Goldeneye, Mario Kart 64, F-Zero X, the list is really endless :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Sanjuro wrote: »
    For me, it'll always be Star Wars: TIE Fighter. The game was single-player perfection. The story was immersive, the music and voice cast were sublime and the game had hundreds of missions. I absolutely loved it and it remains my favorite single-player game ever.

Excellent game, on of the best of all time, IMHO. In fact, I tried to resurrect it and get it running with DosBox a few months ago, but never got it working :(. Must try it again at the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

A whole Summer was consumed by Goldeneye, 4 player license to kill, pistols in the Complex (with a permaban on Oddjob of course).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Championship Manager - 93/94 Edition!

The days when it was simple and you didn't require a degree in Quantum Physics like versions nowadays. Addiction doesn't come close to describing my love for this game. I missed days of school playing this game. And when i was in school I couldn't stop thinking about how I was going to sell Ian Rush and buy Eric Cantona.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

agree completely Banjaxed they stopped getting good after the 97-98 season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Spyro

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Willard

I know a lot are going to say this but; Final fantasy VII, I remember pretending to be sick to get time off school to play it when I got it first. Also noted Duke Nukem 3D on pc; I put ridiculous hours into both of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭cesc77

My first computer was a Toshiba :mad:whilst everyone else was getting Com 64s.Mocked relentlessly....the feckin Toshiba adverts didnt help matters:mad:.

Anyway the games cost £2(mid 80s) and had to be loaded for about 15mins from a cassette player.

My favourite ones were Chucky Egg and Fruity Frank.I played them for hours at a time and would even dream about them.So bloody addictive but surely aided my hand/eye co-ordination development no end.Granted not as well as some later "games" to be "played" on the computer as I got older:o but great nonetheless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 248 ✭✭DanTheMan91

I honestly can't choose one game, Grand Theft Auto San Andreas was in my PS2 disc tray for nearly 2 years straight! Then there was Call of Duty 4, my first multiplayer game, I played that for a crazy amount of hours. I also loved Bully, GTA IV and Red Dead Redemption.
    If Call of Duty 4 was still playable online today I would go with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Metal Gear Solid 3. Not that old but its my favourite game ever. That 5 minute long ladder climb was just amazing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Sinfonia wrote: »
    Ironically enough, given the thread title, I'll always remember Final Fantasy VII too. Dunno how I forgot it earlier..

I'm gonna go with a top 4 of individual games, pretty much of all time, and not really "childhood" as the OP probably means it, but technically I was under 18 for all of these:

1. Grim Fandango
    2. Final Fantasy VII
    3. GTA Vice City
    4. Super Mario 64

you make me feel old

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Cianos wrote: »
    A whole Summer was consumed by Goldeneye, 4 player license to kill, pistols in the Complex (with a permaban on Oddjob of course).

That fooking oddjob, the midget was impossible to hit. I used to love GoldenEye with the throwing knives, it was always mayhem. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

The Earthworm Jim games :) I still remember the day my dad came home with Earthworm Jim 2 :) It's still sitting beside me now :P

Plus it was my favoirte cartoon too :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭alexjk

All that effort to finish the game and then they all turn into cows. Amazing.

Too many to mention, but some of the highlights are Street Fighter 2 Turbo before the arcade scene went bang, Super Mario Kart (the original SNES version), The Legend of Zelda, a link to the past (epic, epic game when you try to complete it without guides and walkthroughs), and then later stuff like GTA Vice City or SanAndreas, and God of War.

My first major forays into multiplayer gaming have a very special place in my heart too, Halo 2 and 3 were both amazing both online and off. The latter one almost cost me the girlfriend that eventually turned into my wife. You know a game is addictive when the missus gets jealous of it cos it gets more time with you than she does..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

NHL 96 for megadrive
    Goldenaxe which came on a 3in1 cartridge for the megadrive
    Metal gear solid 1 for PS1
    Crash bandicoot for PS1
    Vice city for PS2
    Call of duty 4 for xbox

Could not possibly count how many hours iv spent playing these games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

I honestly can't choose one game, Grand Theft Auto San Andreas was in my PS2 disc tray for nearly 2 years straight! Then there was Call of Duty 4, my first multiplayer game, I played that for a crazy amount of hours. I also loved Bully, GTA IV and Red Dead Redemption.
    If Call of Duty 4 was still playable online today I would go with that.

You Sir, are far too young to be in a thread such as this. Red Dead Redemption and GTA IV are games that are still played :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

jesus i'll never forget the music for this game.a mispent youth in arcades:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

First game I remember playing was Paper Boy for Commodore 64. Brilliant concept. Loved the Simpsons skateboard game and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for this console too.

Think my favourite when I was young was Golden Axe, or Streets of Rage on Sega Megadrive. Have all the roms of these now, graphics are unreal crap, bit still some of the best games going!

And of course Super Mario Bros :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Alex the Kidd, Super Mario Kart, Top Ranking Tennis (Gameboy), Formula 1 '97, Doom, Streets of Rage, Mortal Kombat 2, Wimbledon, Striker, Pilotwings

Formula 1 '97 just beats SMK to 1st place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Sarn

The two games that stick in my mind most are Golden Axe (arcade) and Bubble Bobble (C64) mainly because they're the only games I remember finishing. There are a lot of old C64 games like IK+, Barbarian, Bruce Lee, Buggy Boy that bring back fond memories.

Two player Lemmings on the PC was also great fun (pre-Doom days).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

James Pond on Sega Megadrive. Not the best game by any means, but used to LOVE it when I was a kid. Always thought about it when I though tof retro games so I downloaded it a few months back. Way to ruin my own memory-it was crap! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

Spy Hunter for the Atari 800xl

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Banjo-Kazooie. Just love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Floodric

Resident Evil 4, GTA3, Red Dead Redemption. Mario Galaxy. Although most of these are recent, these are the games that will be in peoples "Top Ten Games of All Time" lists for many years to come. they'll never be forgotten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

An old RPG called Super Hydlide.

Not that the game was any good. In fact it was pretty bad, a re-hash of clichéd plotlines and uninspired script, buggy combat and a broken save system.

Which is why I remember it.

Spending several hours playing the damn thing and always losing the save, then being stubborn about it and trying to play it through all in one attempt. Lost several evenings bashing the same monsters and scrolling quickly through the same dialogue.

Gave the ROM a bash a while ago, it was as buggy as I remembered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Phantasy Star (RPG) on the Sega Master System in the 80's. Brilliant game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Ultimate soccer manager 98/99 anybody?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

kerbs

edit: posted kerbs after only reading title..

hhhmmmm, i'd love to play

130xe- kikstart one last time, maybe bountybob, joust, quix,
    520ST- Mercenary Damocles

I'm to old for this tread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

This was a classic, Alex Reeves, you were my hero :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Annuv

Old guy coming through!

My two favourites, do they still make intro music as good as this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

Annuv wrote: »
    Old guy coming through!

My two favourites, do they still make intro music as good as this?

Speedball was class! prob where keano learned how to tackle!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Softair

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

I once played Zelda for so long on the old brick B and W gameboy that i welded the image of the wee fecker onto my retinaes for a couple of days and kept thinking I could see him in myperipheral vision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

new zealand story on the commodore 64,i loved that game so much as a lil kid that i would play it more than terminator 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

oyucen...oyuuucen oyuucen......... oyyyyuucen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Terranigma on the super nes... a really complex and enjoyable game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Smackdown! Shut Your Mouth on the PS2 was the first game that I was totally addcited to!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Mine kinda went in order.

Sonic The Hedgehog 2 -> Streets of Rage -> Final Fantasy 7 -> Final Fantasy 8-> Final Fantasy 9

No other games have really stuck with me as much since. If I simply hear a piece of music from any of the game it takes me straight back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭OntheStrings

Zelda Ocarina of Time on the N64 and also Golden eye 007!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

elefant wrote: »
    Terranigma on the super nes... a really complex and enjoyable game.

you mean snes! :P

Advertisement