Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is the game you'll always remember?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Resident Evil 1 - PS1. Never forget getting the PS for Christmas with this game. Nearly wetting myself playing it for the first time... oh the excitement.

Platoon - C64. Loved it. recently downloaded an emulator for it and got it going again.

Rambo - C64

Match Day 2 - C64

Carmaggedon - PC what a game!! it was like being part of "Death Race"

Empire Earth - PC

Altered Beast, Golden Axe, Streets of Rage, Shinobi and Alien Invasion - Mega Drive

kellso81 wrote: »
    Not one mention of Tomb Raider on the whole thread. Groundbreaking at time, memory prob sullied by so many crap sequels but 1 and 2 were awesome!

+1 for this. I was going to mention it in my earlier post but there were too many games on the tip of my tongue already.

Just like you said, millions of sh1t sequels destroyed the franchise, but at the time 1 and in particular 2 were excellent, groundbreaking games. Played them for ages on PS1 and PC.

Having said that, i did load up TR2 a while back on the PC just for laughs, and i was surprised how much the genre had moved on since then, not just in terms of graphics, but in control mechanics, and in general innovation, as well as because of the larger scope that was possible on later generations of consoles. While i remember lara's first couple of adventures as being fantastic, i think that it's one of those titles that was known for being so groundbreaking at the time that it was often copied, and occasionally bettered here and there by other developers, and over the years the genre just got pushed so far bit by bit that it left the originator way behind.

Meh, its still worthy of a mention. Her boobies get bigger the farther you advance in the game for feck's sake. If you don't think that's awesome, then you need awesome lessons!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

Double dragon 2 on the C64, best game ever!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

This was our introduction to metal

"The stage is set the green flag DROPS!"

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Daly Thompson Olympics! Always ended up breaking your joystick going left and right really hard!

Boulderdash on the C64

Beamrider!

Deuteros

Carrier Command

Metal Masters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Loved me some Amstrad gaming. If there's one Amstrad game that almost everyone remembers (because it came with most models), its this:

And for me personally, Rainbow Islands!:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

jive wrote: »
    Blows my mind how few people know about it!! Graphics were class at the time too but the gameplay was soooo good. One of the few games that actually had good single player and multiplayer.

The first game I bought for the Dreamcast. I bought a used DC a while back and a brand new copy of Toy Commander for around 5 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Sensible Soccer
    Sonic
    Mortal Kombat II
    Street Fighter II
    Tekken
    Shinobi
    Abe's Odyssey
    Final Fantasy VII
    Doom
    International Superstar Soccer
    GTA Vice City

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I was always more of a fan of PC games more than anything else. My favourite were thw Quest games - Police Quest, Space Quest and King's Quest - made by the same people as Leisure Suit Larry - which was also awesome! The first two or three of each series were the best, you had to type in what you wanted to do, like "'open door"" etc. They don't make em like that any more.

I'm going to a 30th birthday in a few weeks and the theme is old school video games. I need to think of a costume, any suggestions? My OH is going as Prince of Persia, we're just going to cut up a shirt and get baggy white pants and I was thinking making a slicer out of cardboard and tin foil so we could get him to jump through them and pretend to cut him in half. I don't want to go as something really obvious, like sonic or a tetris brick. I was thinking of going as Cosmo from this game http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmo%27s_Cosmic_Adventure which is my all time favourite but can I be bothered making myself that green?

Any suggestions welcome :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

watna wrote: »
    I don't want to go as something really obvious, like sonic or a tetris brick.
    LMFAO!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

Metal Gear Solid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Alex Kidd on the Master System, Mario 64 and Zelda: Ocarina of Time on the N64, GTA: Vice City and Elder Scrolls: Morrowind on the PC. Smash Bros Melee on the gamecube as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

tony007 wrote: »
    I'm trying to remember a pirate pc game. It mainly involved controlling ships. It had the distinct line ''A message from the governor has just arrived'', which was said a couple of times throughout the game. You started off with one port and one ship and you could capture pirate ships or merchant ships. It'd be great if I could get the name of it.

Corsairs: Conquest at Sea??

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Jayo11780

Kenny Dalglish soccer manager for commodore 64... once when i was 12 i spent 14 hours playing 20 seasons in a row! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Streets of Rage
    Golden Age

2 Player...
    A nostalgic tear to my eye, it brings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Leinster v Northampton
    Ireland v Italy USA '94
    Dennis Taylor v Steve Davis world championship final
    Liverpool v Milan, Istanbul
    Oh, and yore Ma ON the game!

Fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

All the usual suspects have been named but two games i fondly remember were Kickle Cubicle and Kid Chameleon, both bring memories of my childhood flooding back. Good ol times.

Kickle Cubicle:

Kid Chameleon:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

anyone remember Duke Nukem - what a game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

GrizzlyMan wrote: »
    Solstice on the NES, best 8-bit intro music ever, give a few seconds, quality:D

One intro theme i always loved!!! fair play for posting!!

always loved this too :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

Pokemon Red/Blue. Got Blue and a gameboy colour for Christmas one year and it's probably the best Christmas present I've ever gotten.

Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening. Played it a lot and never had any idea what I was doing.

Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes (The gamecube remake of the original.) First time I was really into the story of a game.

I loved Red Alert, Vice City and Total Annihilation a lot when I was a kid too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Rambo on the Commador 64, or Final fantasy 7 when i was 9, love that game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Remember "Platoon" on the C64 and those pesky trip wires :rolleyes:

Also there is a game I can't remember the name of for the life of me. It was on the Amiga, kind of a role playing game where there had been a murder on a cruise ship and you were the detective (Poirot type character) trying to solve it. It was one of those games that came on about 12 disks and it was set in around the 1920-1930's I think!

It's doing my head in not being able to remember the name!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

Manic Miner on the Old Spectrum my uncle gave me when I was 7. Many hours of loading tapes.

Sim City on the PC

Crash Bandicoot and Dark Cloud on the Ps1/2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Ah the PS1, so many fond memories :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I only had a Master System II (blocky control pads!) and we rented a Megadrive for ages until we got one of our own. Loved the Sonics of course, then Road Rash. Italia' 90 was good as well. Shinobi and that cheat for infinite shurikens! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Gotta be either Pro Evo 6 on the PS2, Age of Empires 3, or Napoleon: Total War.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

Mortal Kombat on the Megadrive.

IIRC it was inferior to the SNES version is just about every way...except the BLOOD.

It didn't even have a pause, i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

Absurdum wrote: »
    Paperboy!

i always loved this game must have had it on 2 r 3 different consoles.let me down when i got a job as a paper boy to realised it was not as fun in real life

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Some of mine have been mentioned already:

Grannys Garden
    Rainbow Island
    Mummies
    Sonic 2
    Zombies Ate My Neighbours
    Columns
    Streets of Rage 2
    Micro Machines V3
    Goldeneye
    Spyro The Dragon
    Tekken 2
    Metal Gear Solid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

I'll show you mine if you show me yours. Always a favourite in the playground back in the day. When I moved on to video games I had a great game, Xenophobia I think it was called on the Atari Lynx.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

http://www.benwaysworld.co.uk/computersnconsoles/BinatoneMK6.jpg

i've been here from the start thevlink shows analouge controllers that you rotate to move the sprites

one of the original game systems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Fiendish Freddys big top o fun was a great game along with Flimbos Quest, Klax and International football for the comodore 64. All on one cartrige no less.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭huey1975

double dragon was a great game in the arcade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Mad_Dave

Haven't read the whole thread, so apologies if it's been done but Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening on Gameboy is probally my favourite game of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Time Crisis. Quality so it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭geetar

the first spyro the dragon. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Ghosts n Goblins (Arcade)
    10p used to last about 40 mins.....

• Advertisement

Sonic the Headghog.
    Mario Brothers.

Good aul sega!

Oh, and Doom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

kfallon wrote: »
    Also there is a game I can't remember the name of for the life of me. It was on the Amiga, kind of a role playing game where there had been a murder on a cruise ship and you were the detective (Poirot type character) trying to solve it. It was one of those games that came on about 12 disks and it was set in around the 1920-1930's I think!

It's doing my head in not being able to remember the name!

Cruise for a Corpse!!! My bro remembered it:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

Chucky egg ...tWas on atari ... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Marcus_Crassus

Heroes of Might and Magic 3.. Anyone? Seriously, put the cans away, forget the bank holiday and get this game asap. It may change your life.

Goldeneye was amazing too. The laugh you could have playing that game was unreal. Actually, now that I say "unreal"; Unreal Tournament and Halflife consumed my teenage years.

I remember all the older games posted in this thread too even though I must have been only a babog at the time. My memory is terrible and computer games are all I remember from my first few years. They must have warped my mind. I suppose that's what happens when you're just plonked in front of Commodore and told to play at such an early age. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

C64
    Way of the exploding fist, IK+
    Dragon Slayer
    Double Dragon
    Last Ninja
    Gauntlet

Early DOS
    Space Commander
    Jump Joe
    QBert
    Digger
    Frogger

Amiga
    Shadow of the beast2
    Turrican2
    Lemmings
    Alien Breed
    Monkey Island 2 (12 disks FTW)
    Nightbreed
    Final Fight
    Indiana Jones & the Fate of Atlantis
    Another World
    Rainbow Island
    Newzealand Story

GameBoy
    Marioland 1&2
    Navy Seals
    Tetris

SNES
    Mortal Kombat 2
    Mario Kart (battles)
    Street Fighter 2

Mega Drive
    Streets of Rage

DOS 6.22
    Commander Keen
    Alone in the Dark
    7th Guest
    Phantasmagoria
    Ripper
    Doom (making WADs with DoomEd)
    Doom2
    Quake (Quakeworld later ;-)
    Star Trek - a Final Unity
    Duke Nukem 3D

PsOne
    Wipeout & 2097
    Resident Evil 1&2
    Crash Bandicoot
    Ridge Racer
    Gran Tourismo
    Abe's Odyssey
    Metal Gear Solid

Gamecube
    Resident Evil

N64
    Mario64
    Goldeneye

PS2
    Metal Gear Solid 2

PC Win32+
    Quake 3
    Half Life
    Splinter Cell
    Deus Ex
    Max Payne & 2
    Half Life 2 (walking out of the train station at the very start OMG!)
    Portal
    Unreal Tournament
    Crysis

Xbox360
    Need for speed Underground
    COD4
    Modern Warfare 2 (airport level)
    Black Ops
    Portal 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

The sims

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Goldeneye on Nintendo 64

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Bing Bing tennis on the really old TV sets.
    Long long before most of the AH nouveau Whizz Kids...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Final Fantasy VII, VIII And IX- The greatest gaming trilogy ever all on the PS1!

This isn't rose tinted glasses either, how could you listen to this and honestly say that gaming is better,more evolved now

what a winning streak SquareSoft was on and I'll include FFX as well before the whole company slid off to nowhere and got their head stuck up their behind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭paulosham

Kerbs, it was in the real world.

• Advertisement
Advertisement