Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Large Shoes/Runners for <80euro

Options
  • 25-05-2011 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Is there somewhere, preferably in Ireland that I can get large decent quality shoes and runners without having to spend a fortune.

I am size 13 and find it a nightmare to get shoes for work and runners for training. Last decent pair of shoes I got were Ecco brand and that cost be €140.

I bought shoes online that said size 13 but they end up being too narrow or just badly fitting. I bought runners from Uk online and they fell apart in 4 months.

Any recommendations or bargains out there for the larger footed chap.

Thanks
    -V-

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭aliocroc

Hi All,

Any recommendations or bargains out there for the larger footed chap.

Thanks
    -V-

Well,
    Ive had this problem since I was 13 years old-, Im a 13 (&a half)-large sizes are a bastard.

Ok, a few things that I have learned along the way-

· Heathers on the Quays do large sizes-they can be pricy or cheap-really is hit or miss.
    · I have gotten one or two pair of shoes from the Arnotts Shoe Dept-again, really depends on what you're buying-i get size 13 Dubarrys there that are fine for headed out with.
    · I have had great luck in TK Maxx in Blanchardstown but it does take perseverance, they have seperate large size shoe and runner shelves but its mostly crap stuff that you wouldn’t buy, that said I got one lovely pair of work shoes and my favourite runners, a funky pair of converse in the place. The price is generally great on these-I paid 20 for the converse and 16 for the work shoes but it might take a few visits to find anything you like!!
    · After that, for proper trainers I generally walk into Elverys and ask for everything they have in a size 13, they come out with 3 boxes and I decide if there’s any I feel comfortable enough in for racing in.
    · If you want casual trainers, try find a Lifestyle with a bargain or reduced Shoe section, I lived near Newbridge and always had more selection in Nike runners there than anywhere else. Not sure if the lifestyle there has this anymore. But the one in Blanch might have some more stock for larger sizes!?
    · If you're looking for some walking boots that look like shoes when you're wearing them with jeans, flip flops or sandals, 53degrees north again in Blanch have a bargain area way up the top of the building that has LOADS of large sizes-it like the place where all their large sizes come to die!
    · Finally, if you have a relatively thin foot try thinking outside the box, look for slightly longer shoes in 12 or even 11-I can get work shoes in Next by finding shoes with a bit of a toe or point on them (stay away from rounded toe Sz 12 shoes if you're a very tight 13) and they fit great!
    · In relation to brands of casual trainers-you're best bet is Nike-Adidas is generally small fitting, Puma Sz 13 is ok in some styles but EXTREMELY rare-I only found them when I was in Vietnam-you can order them online but its 100 lids at the very least! Other than that you're limited to Asics or Nike and maybe the very odd Reebok but way less so over the last 5 years!
    • Also, if you're looking for football boots-Adidas Copials (I think thats their name) can be ordered, otherwise, try your luck in the NIke Outlet in the Kildare Shopping Outlet-I have gotton all my studded & mouldys from there since it opened! (Also, I think an Asics opened up there recently, I havent been yet but theres a good chance that they'll have the larger sizes if you want to try!
    Thats about all i can think of at the mo, any questions just ask, hope its of help gettin ya shod! :)

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

aliocroc wrote: »
    Thats about all i can think of at the mo, any questions just ask, hope its of help gettin ya shod! :)

Al

You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

That is most concise and helpful list of suppliers and brands that I have gotten and I doth my cap to you.

I'm wary of TK Maxx but Ill chance my arm.

I looks like this pay day.... im going hunting...

-Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭aliocroc

You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

That is most concise and helpful list of suppliers and brands that I have gotten and I doth my cap to you.

I'm wary of TK Maxx but Ill chance my arm.

I looks like this pay day.... im going hunting...

-Matt

No worries dude, its the only thing that I really know ALOT about through 15 frustrating years of finding shoes, never thought it'd come in handy so I'm glad to be of help!
    Yeah be wary of TK Maxx, I actually bought shoes there before that were size 13 on the tag, I tried them on, thought they were ok but got home to realise that one was 13 and one was 14! The one thing that you can be sure of is that they are great with returns-if you're not happy you can bring it back within 30 days so even if you do feel you've gone wrong you always have a get out of jail free card!

Happy hunting!

Advertisement