Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beware of HERTZ

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭sendit

Like alot of things on hear theres no issue with anything hear just because you didn't read what your signing dosn't make it teh company's falt its your own falt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Well Hertz admitted that I SHOULD have received notification.

I don't have the contract to check for myself but I doubt it says that they can charge you without notification or explanation.

kcb wrote: »

I don't have the contract to check for myself but I doubt it says that they can charge you without notification or explanation.

Whats to say it didn't? You didn't read it so how do you know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

I can tell you I have 4 receipts with the Terms and Conditions here and all 4 say they can. The contract you sign is notification of any charges that incur and the explanation follows by letter in the post after the fact.

As others have said they usually charge your card and then post out the receipt and a letter explaining the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭chancer007

does anyone know if its possible to stop hertz taking money from your credit card after you return to Ireland?

call your bank and tell them to block any possible transactions with hertz?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭busman

chancer007 wrote: »
    does anyone know if its possible to stop hertz taking money from your credit card after you return to Ireland?

As per Tucker Max - drop off at night and cancel CC :o

• Registered Users Posts: 18,999 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You've already authorised them to take money off you, why would you want to stop them? If you've an issue with them taking money off after the hire period then don't sign the contract, otherwise man up and except your charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Unlikely. You could issue a chargeback after Hertz have taken the money, which they'll appeal, and (assuming the charge isn't an error) you'll lose and have to pay anyway

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Why would the bank stop a legitimate transaction that you already agreed to? What you're looking for there is help with committing fraud. The bank will not help you with that.

How about you just pay what you owe, and stop looking for ways out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,089 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

All car-hire credit-card charges are pre-approved, which I presume means that there's no back-tracking available after the deal is done.

• Advertisement

ejmaztec wrote: »
    All car-hire credit-card charges are pre-approved, which I presume means that there's no back-tracking available after the deal is done.

You can query them with the CC company and Hire company, but this is usually only for damage, fines/tolls you've already agreed to paying when you hired.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Gon10 wrote: »
    I had the same charge on my credit card from Hertz after hiring in Italy this is an administration fee for giving your details to the Italian police regarding a traffic offence - Your real fine is on the way and it will be a lot more than €36:(

Correct. Minor enough traffic violations are around the €100 mark and speeding fines closer to €200. I'm not sure how high they go...I'll go faster next time to check :D

And no, Hertz don't need to inform you before they charge your card. You signed a contract to that effect and it's such a standard condition with car hire I can't believe someone is on here having a hissy fit about it.

Like i said before just someone trying to make an issue of something because there the one in the wrong not the company

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭chancer007

sorry,let me clarify I thing.

I meant pay for the car you have hired from hertz through your credit card.thats not the issue

then,

to stop Hertz adding further charges down the line i.e 3 months, ask you CC company to block any further transactions from Hertz after you have paid your original bill.
    is that possible?

I meant pay for the car you have hired from hertz through your credit card.thats not the issue

then,

to stop Hertz adding further charges down the line i.e 3 months, ask you CC company to block any further transactions from Hertz after you have paid your original bill.
    is that possible?

Your missing the point. In the contract you sign with any car hire company, and a lot of hotels, you've authorised them to come back and take the money at any time for fines/tolls/damage.

Telling your bank to reject the charge won't work as the hire company will come back with a contract signed by you allowing them to take the money and possibly adding more charges to the bill you're already agreed to pay.

If they take the money and you disagree. You need to start a charge back procedure and have a very hard fight on you're hands to get the CC company to agree a refund, you'll have better luck getting the refund off the hire company

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

then,

is that possible?

No, even if you report the card stolen you PRE APPROVED the transaction.

This is WHY you need a credit card to rent a car.

The Credit Card will only block or reverse a transaction when you didnt authorise or pre approve the transaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Regardless of the terms of the contract I still think it's poor form to issue the charges with no notice. Even a text or an email explaining the charge would be a bit more professional.

Not so much a legal issue as a customer relations issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

is that possible?

Any additional charges will be for damage, tolls, fines, etc, which you have authorised them to charge you for. You cannot stop legitimate charges to your account, and you cannot tell the bank to stop charges from any particular company just because you don't want to pay them. A charge back can be initiated if a charge is unauthorised, but upon investigation, it would be found that these charges from Hertz were authorised by the card holder.

A receipt should be issued following the charge, and it should explain what the charge was for. Prior notice is not required.

People should really read the T&Cs of credit card agreements, and understand them, before they get one. There's a lot of misinformation and misconception by users out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Hertz don't need to inform you before they charge your card. You signed a contract to that effect and it's such a standard condition with car hire I can't believe someone is on here having a hissy fit about it.
    That's not what Hertz said when I spoke to them! They apologised for the fact that a notification was not received. That might just have been her own idea though!
    sendit wrote: »
    Like i said before just someone trying to make an issue of something because there the one in the wrong not the company
    Why would someone want to make an issue of something because 'they're' in the wrong?
    hardCopy wrote: »
    Regardless of the terms of the contract I still think it's poor form to issue the charges with no notice. Even a text or an email explaining the charge would be a bit more professional.

Some sense! Thank God!

To try and get out of it like you are

• Advertisement

hardCopy wrote: »

They already informed you when you hired the car that any extra charges will be taken from your card, you signed a legally binding document that you accept this, so why should they?

That's not what Hertz said when I spoke to them! They apologised for the fact that a notification was not received. That might just have been her own idea though!

Of course if you ring up and complain they will tell you that. As I said twice before as have many.You sign a contract authorising. Later on down the line they charge your card and you generally get a letter following the payment explaining the charge. Sometimes out of common courtesy they may send the letter before they charge your card but more often than not they don't. Either way they are within their rights to take it whether you agree with us or not. Hence the contract.

Why would someone want to make an issue of something because 'they're' in the wrong?

Well to be fair had you read the original contract you would see you are actually in the wrong. You gave Hertz permission to take the money in the first place.

In the modern day sure some common courtesy would go a long way when they take these charges but more often than not it doesnt happen pre the charge as you signed the ok in the first place. Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

The basic tenet of this thread is that if price gouging is common or usual then it is justified. It is not. The car hire industry is rife with price gouging and the poor regulation of sharp practice in this industry is a major obstacle to tourism, especially in Ireland (even if this incident occurred elsewhere).

Everyone signs contracts agreeing to pay for things, but the norm in business is that a bill is presented and the deduction from your credit card comes 21 days later or whatever, so that in theory at least you have the opportunity to query the charge. Credit card companies should not be allowed exclude themselves from normal business practice in this regard.

ardmacha wrote: »
    The basic tenet of this thread is that if price gouging is common or usual then it is justified. It is not. The car hire industry is rife with price gouging and the poor regulation of sharp practice in this industry is a major obstacle to tourism, especially in Ireland (even if this incident occurred elsewhere).

Everyone signs contracts agreeing to pay for things, but the norm in business is that a bill is presented and the deduction from your credit card comes 21 days later or whatever, so that in theory at least you have the opportunity to query the charge. Credit card companies should not be allowed exclude themselves from normal business practice in this regard.

But you've signed a contract allowing them to charge you after the fact with no notice. Does anyone even read what they sign anymore?

The CC companies are only doing what you've already authorized the hire company to do.

Del2005 wrote: »
    But you've signed a contract allowing them to charge you after the fact with no notice. Does anyone even read what they sign anymore?

The CC companies are only doing what you've already authorized the hire company to do.

Exactly this and the fact the car rental industry has poor regulation people should really read the bloody contracts. If they don't like what they read then they use their feet and leave without car.

I use a lot of rentals throughout europe and the US and I always read the contracts even from companies I have used before. Just to make sure nothing else has been added to it that will catch me out down the line.

Sure they could do things a lot better as could a lot of other industries but that is not about to change anytime soon so people need to read their contracts. You sign it you give them the right to do whatever they have put in that contract.

And as del2005 said why should the credit card companies object as you have given hertz the permission in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Sure they could do things a lot better as could a lot of other industries but that is not about to change anytime soon so people need to read their contracts. You sign it you give them the right to do whatever they have put in that contract.

Of course you should read the contact. That does not diminish my point that car hire companies are among the most outrageous practitioners of sharp practice and anti consumer T&Cs and it reflects poorly on government that they have singularly failed to effectively control these tricksters.

ardmacha wrote: »
    Of course you should read the contact. That does not diminish my point that car hire companies are among the most outrageous practitioners of sharp practice and anti consumer T&Cs and it reflects poorly on government that they have singularly failed to effectively control these tricksters.

But the OPs problem is right now and has nothing to do with what should be done with the industry. The simple fact the OP gave them the right to take his/her money by signing the contract. And as he/she didn't read the contract he/she wasn't expecting the charges later on down the road. Had the OP read the contract before signing would have given them a clear view on what could happen down the line and the option to walk away if they didn't like the terms and conditions before putting pen to paper.

We can debate back and forward all night about the rights and wrongs of the car rental industry and their practices all we want. But as it stands the Car rental company are protected by said contracts and would have had it clearly written on the contract and the OP after signing has no comeback on it. Moaning about a bad practice they signed up for after the fact is pointless. In future the op should read the contract it is that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 mudbingo

I was overcharged by Hertz in Faro -Portugal.
    I got nowhere after a long correspondance course with a lot of people .
    I sued Hertz in the small claims court (app 800 euro)and got a summary Judgement against Hertz- and when I said that I would send the Judgement to "stubbs Gazette"-Hertz then agreed to return the money to my credit card account.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

It's kind of blackmail that you cannot hire a car with out a credit card, and you must pre authorise any payments after the rental, if you refuse you get no car, they all do the same, it's a cartel.
    I had a van hired from Enterprise and when I took it back there was a small stone chip on the windscreen, it could have been there when I took the van off them but I am not looking for such minute details. They claimed off the insurance cover that I took out, if I had not taken out excess insurance they could have charged an extra €500 from my card.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

It's kind of blackmail that you cannot hire a car with out a credit card
    No, its not.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement