Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beware of HERTZ

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

DanWall wrote: »
    It's kind of blackmail that you cannot hire a car with out a credit card,

How is it blackmail?
    and you must pre authorise any payments after the rental, if you refuse you get no car, they all do the same, it's a cartel.

Such nonsense. The reason they do this is to make sure you actually have money to pay for the vehicle if you fook it up. Its not like you are renting something cheap. You are renting a vehicle which is worth 5k upwards.
    I had a van hired from Enterprise and when I took it back there was a small stone chip on the windscreen, it could have been there when I took the van off them but I am not looking for such minute details.

Your own fault. Before you sign it off you should look for anything that might come back and cost you. Hence why reading the terms and conditions is a must. I always walk around the car twice before signing with the agent with me.
    They claimed off the insurance cover that I took out, if I had not taken out excess insurance they could have charged an extra €500 from my card.

You got lucky.

Rental companies would be nuts to rent vehicles out without these assurances. As for the damage thing I have no pity on people who don't check the vehicle out properly before driving away especially with cosmetic things on the outside of the vehicle or on glass or lights. Dont forget cars are expensive these days for parts and cosmetic crap. If the agent finds something wrong its on you if it wasnt declared before renting.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

How is it blackmail?

Such nonsense. The reason they do this is to make sure you actually have money to pay for the vehicle if you fook it up. Its not like you are renting something cheap. You are renting a vehicle which is worth 5k upwards.

Do you work for a rental company?
    What's wrong with cash or cheque? if you fook it up they should have it insured

Do work for a rental company?

No I don't but I rent a lot of vehicles. But Cash means they have to keep large amounts of cash on premises all the time. Take if I rent a car from one place and return it to the another. It means I am asking them to hold large amounts of cash in both places. Its easier for them to use cards as it allows them to authorise the card without actually taking any money off the customer which is favourable for most of their customers. As lets face it who wants to hand over €500 cash everytime they rent a car.

As for cheques they bounce very easily and take a few days to clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

Seems you want to make it easy for yourself, stuff the custom, cheques have been used for a long time, bouncing is a business problem, If all companies had that attitude cheques would have stop dead years ago.

Seems you want to make it easy for yourself, stuff the custom, cheques have been used for a long time, bouncing is a business problem, If all companies had that attitude cheques would have stop dead years ago.

Cheques are dying out big time because of the length of time it takes to process them and because there is no guarantee on payment with them anymore. And bouncing a business problem? How so? Many regular folk hand over cheques these days and they bounce 7 days later when companies go to collect. Hardly just a business problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

It's kind of blackmail that you cannot hire a car with out a credit card, and you must pre authorise any payments after the rental, if you refuse you get no car, they all do the same, it's a cartel.
    I had a van hired from Enterprise and when I took it back there was a small stone chip on the windscreen, it could have been there when I took the van off them but I am not looking for such minute details. They claimed off the insurance cover that I took out, if I had not taken out excess insurance they could have charged an extra €500 from my card.
    No, its not.
    How is it blackmail?

Your own fault. Before you sign it off you should look for anything that might come back and cost you. Hence why reading the terms and conditions is a must. I always walk around the car twice before signing with the agent with me.

You got lucky.

Rental companies would be nuts to rent vehicles out without these assurances. As for the damage thing I have no pity on people who don't check the vehicle out properly before driving away especially with cosmetic things on the outside of the vehicle or on glass or lights. Dont forget cars are expensive these days for parts and cosmetic crap. If the agent finds something wrong its on you if it wasnt declared before renting.
    How is it blackmail?

Do you work for a rental company?
    No I don't but I rent a lot of vehicles. But Cash means they have to keep large amounts of cash on premises all the time. Take if I rent a car from one place and return it to the another. It means I am asking them to hold large amounts of cash in both places. Its easier for them to use cards as it allows them to authorise the card without actually taking any money off the customer which is favourable for most of their customers. As lets face it who wants to hand over €500 cash everytime they rent a car.

As for cheques they bounce very easily and take a few days to clear.

There's no point in arguing with people like DanWall, and definitely no point in trying to engage in intelligent debate.

The idea that a cheque/cash for €500 should allow you to drive away in €30000 worth of car seems reasonable to the intellectually challenged.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I think this thread has ran its course long ago. There was an original Consumer Issue, but we're well past that point now.

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement