Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First smart phone

Options
  • 25-05-2011 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi all

I am looking to buy my first smart phone; I have some specific requirements but small budget:D. I am on Vodafone prepay and don’t use the phone enough to consider a contract.
    What I really want it for is internet access when on holidays as well as a camera and more importantly Video camera for the family album. I was looking at the new Samsung Ace which seems to tick all the boxes but falls down with the video camera which only does 15fps and reviews are pretty bad about this feature.

Do you think I will have to go to the more expensive models to get a better Video camera? I would like to have some version of Adroid or windows phone 7 when and if they get there act together.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

I am in the same boat as yourself Mark, and have been considering getting the HTC Wildfire S, which has just recently been released on Vodafone, and it is €219.99 online. It has a 5mp camera with a 3.2" screen. Looks snazzy too!

http://www.vodafone.ie/df/shop/ProductDetails.shtml;jsessionid=pCm0NdKQyh1ptQBTPVYr4gWnbh6VyGh1vtky7Xm6XQ13J0vkr7th!-1867881123!1230398248?handsetselected=551045&offerSelected=prepayupgrade&action=view

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭wilser

there is a thread in the bargain alerts for the lg optimus7, its on sale for €200 sim free, not sure if its a step up or down from the galaxy ace

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

wilser wrote: »
    there is a thread in the bargain alerts for the lg optimus7, its on sale for €200 sim free, not sure if its a step up or down from the galaxy ace

It's certainly a step up. But the operating system is different, so that might take some getting used to. I will hopefully have my Optimus 7 by tomorrow or Friday, so i'll let you know what it's like. But it's a savage bargain for 200 quid. The same phone is almost 400 on the vodafone website, and that's locked to vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

You could check on adverts, you could probably getta galaxy s for around about 250 if the budget would strech, great phone IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Markjf

Well I went for the LG Optimus 7 from the bargain thread €200 all in great value for money, a saving of €190 over Vodafone and it’s got everything I need in a phone.
    So I hope everything goes well when setting it up to use with Vodafone.

Thanks for the help guys;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Markjf wrote: »
    Well I went for the LG Optimus 7 from the bargain thread €200 all in great value for money, a saving of €190 over Vodafone and it’s got everything I need in a phone.
    So I hope everything goes well when setting it up to use with Vodafone.

Thanks for the help guys;)

Good choice! I'll have mine in the next few hours...can't wait:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

You won't want to 3G internet while abroad. However, WIFI access points would be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭LukeS_

Just seen this thread, don't really need a phone now as I've got an iPhone 4 but that Optimus 7 is calling my name for that price! :(

Advertisement