Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recommend a broadband provider

Options
  • 25-05-2011 10:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,

I live in Hillside, Greystones. UPC don't yet offer any broadband services in this area, so I'm looking for an alternative provider. I currently have 3G broadband from three.ie, but the quality/speed of the service is horrible, so I'd like to switch. Can anyone recommend an alternative provider that offers broadband, and doesn't require a landline?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Plenty

I have UPC wireless broadband and I'm in Charlesland. Having said that, I did have to get my own specific wireless router but I still have UPC broadband connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

UPC don't offer a wireless service, its all through your TV cable.

I have heard good stories about Wicklow Broadband and they offer a wireless solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 tonydrago999

Plenty wrote: »
    I have UPC wireless broadband and I'm in Charlesland.

To the best of my knowledge, UPC services are not available in Hillside.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

To the best of my knowledge, UPC services are not available in Hillside.

Correct. UPC is only available in Charlesland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

is a phone line really out of the question? I think its next best option price wise - you could have a look at WiMax from Imagine?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 tonydrago999

astrofluff wrote: »
    is a phone line really out of the question?

Any solution that requires me to have a phone line is out of the question. I don't want to pay a monthly line rental bill on top of the broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Wimax is your next option so - box on the wall outside that connects through radio frequency to an antenna somewhere is Greystones.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Quackhart

I use meteor 3g for the Ipad, usign the Micro simcard. It's PAYG so I top it up as and when I am using it, they offer little deals like extra download capacity when you download online. Dad has been using the equivalent dongle (uses the same micro sim) with nay bothers either. As they all (Meteor, O2 & Vodafone) have far better coverage etc for the BB than 3 do, and as it's on the usual "don't like it return it deal" it could be an option to just switch provider. They are all around the €20/€30 mark on their website.

Works A okay, never had a glitch or a problem thus far. Speed wise it seems to ping along. Must post a speed test of it one of these days to see what I am actually getting....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

I use digiweb, 40 euro a month and a very good service, antenna on the roof into a wireless router in the house.... We're up beside tescos... I would definately recommend them.

Advertisement