Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When should I replace my tyres?

• 25-05-2011 10:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭

I have a roadbike for a 22mile round trip commute. 700 x 25c size tyres.
    I've noticed 3-4 small cuts (right through) in the rear tyre all about 5mm. Do I need to change them?

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

According to Sheldon
    Tire Wear-When should you replace your tires?

Many cyclists waste money replacing perfectly functional tires simply because they're old, or may have discolored sidewalls. If you just want new tires because the old ones look grotty, it's your money, but if you are mainly concerned with safety/function, there are only two reasons for replacing old tires:
    1. When the tread is worn so thin that you start getting a lot of flats from small pieces of glass and the like, or the fabric shows through the rubber.
    2. When the tire's fabric has been damaged, so that the tire has a lumpy, irregular appearance somewhere, or the tube bulges through the tire.
    Cracks in the tread are harmless. Small punctures in the tire such as are typically caused by nails, tacks, thorns or glass slivers are also harmless to the tire, since the tire doesn't need to be air-tight. Gumwall tires sometimes get unsightly blistering on the sidewalls from ozone damage. (This is frequently caused by storing the bike near a furnace--the powerful electric motors in typical furnaces can put a fair amount of ozone into the air.) This blistering is ugly, but doesn't actually compromise the safety/reliability of the tire in the least.

In summary, if you're not getting lots of punctures they should be OK - the small cuts should be fine (so long as they are small)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

An upsurge in punctures is usually the red flag for me too. On occasion, it's been ridiculously worn thread, but you usually start flatting a lot before that happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭carthoris

I have a roadbike for a 22mile round trip commute. 700 x 25c size tyres.
    I've noticed 3-4 small cuts (right through) in the rear tyre all about 5mm. Do I need to change them?

If you are not getting many(/any) flats they might be ok for another while.

Can you see the tyre through the cuts ? If so you could "patch" the tyre by supergluing the cuts together, and for bonus points you could also glue small cuts of tube onto the inside of the tyre to cover the hole and hold the tyre together.

Swapping the tyres so the worn one goes onto the front might also reduce the risk of getting a flat. I generally notice that the rear tyre gets much more cuts and flats.

If all that sounds like too much work, then it is time for new tyres :D

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

carthoris wrote: »
    Swapping the tyres so the worn one goes onto the front might also reduce the risk of getting a flat. I generally notice that the rear tyre gets much more cuts and flats.
    Put the good one on the front;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Beasty wrote: »
    I was just going to say that. I do rotate the tyres after about four months or so, or when the first fissures appear in the rear tyre, but you really do need your front tyre to be in very reasonable condition.

• Advertisement
Advertisement