Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerbing - Have I to use concrete?

Options
  • 25-05-2011 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

Hi all,
    As the title suggests, I am looking at putting some kerbing into my garden.
    Can I just dig the trench, lay the kerbs and fill back in the earth around the kerbs again?? or
    Do I have to set the kerbing in a concrete base?
    Obvioulsy not using the concrete would be easier and cheaper but would the kerbing be secure in the ground?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

depends
    if it is some random kerbing along a footpath or around a feature in the middle of the lawn then once the clay settles around them they will be fairly secure.
    if however you are using them along by the side of a drive or somewher else where they will be in frequent contact with traffic then concerete is a must, iam afraid.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

If they're to line a bed or an area which has any plants/shrubs/trees with vigorous roots - then you should go with the concrete option. I'd go with the concrete option anyway: if they start to move out of line (which they surely will without concrete/sand + cement) then it would be double the work to lift and reset them. Kerb stones don't look too hot if they're out of alignment.
    Have you considered other options that might not involve concrete?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭moceri

Kerbing can be fixed in Situ with a product "Clause 804".

No Mixer required.

It is much easier to handle than concrete. Delivered as a dry aggregate.
    Dig a trench for the kerbing and line with 3-4" of clause 804. Position and level kerbing slabs and backfill with 3-4 " of Clause 804. Do this work during Dry weather. After 3 weeks the Clause 804 will be fully cured. Allow 1/2" gap between each kerb which can afterwards be pointed with a small quantity of mortar.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

moceri wrote: »

No Mixer required.

Dig a trench for the kerbing and line with 3-4" of clause 804. Position and level kerbing slabs and backfill with 3-4 " of Clause 804. Do this work during Dry weather. After 3 weeks the Clause 804 will be fully cured. Allow 1/2" gap between each kerb which can afterwards be pointed with a small quantity of mortar.

I've often used "804" hardcore but haven't heard of this stuff - is it a mix like Post Mix?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭moceri

It is probably the same as 804 Hardcore. It is not mixed with water. It is Granular and will require a few weeks to set hard. I have used it on my drive kerbs and they haven't budged in 8 Years

• Advertisement

Ah grand. You'd need to compact it well though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

slowburner wrote: »
    I've often used "804" hardcore but haven't heard of this stuff - is it a mix like Post Mix?

Lean Mix we'd call that... It's standard concrete with no water added in the quarry, delivered dry and can he handled like stone..

bbam wrote: »
    Lean Mix we'd call that... It's standard concrete with no water added in the quarry, delivered dry and can he handled like stone..

How can it be a mix with no cement or water :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭the bolt

No Mixer required.

i have never heard of anyone laying kerbs with 804,lean mix is the way to go and haunch them with concrete if theres going to be a lot of traffic on it.the fact that the are going to be laid in a garden you could use lean mix to haunch them.

No Mixer required.

would a 1/2" gap not be to big?

• Advertisement

the bolt wrote: »
    i have never heard of anyone laying kerbs with 804,lean mix is the way to go and haunch them with concrete if theres going to be a lot of traffic on it.the fact that the are going to be laid in a garden you could use lean mix to haunch them.

I've always understood a "lean mix" to be a mix with a reduced proportion of cement, say 5:1 or less. I've often heard a very dry mix referred to as a lean mix too. :confused:

I've always understood a "lean mix" to be a mix with a reduced proportion of cement, say 5:1 or less. I've often heard a very dry mix referred to as a lean mix too. :confused:

its both to my understanding hence why i would always haunch with concrete.its much easier to bed kerbs in lean mix as its semi dry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

the bolt wrote: »
    its both to my understanding hence why i would always haunch with concrete.its much easier to bed kerbs in lean mix as its semi dry.
    It doesn't need to be semi-dry... you can request it completely dry and that will allow you much more working time... once your done you can wet it with a hose or wait for the inevitable frequent rain showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

How can it be a mix with no cement or water :confused:

Lots of confusion, the 804 is commonly known as hardcore. The setting is caused by compaction. It can be used on kerbs, similar to using soil on larger kerbs. However it requires a minimum depth (kerb and/or fill) to work effectively.

Most would use a semi dry mix of concrete (sand, gravel and cement) to 'haunch' kerbs.

Lots of confusion, the 804 is commonly known as hardcore. The setting is caused by compaction. It can be used on kerbs, similar to using soil on larger kerbs. However it requires a minimum depth (kerb and/or fill) to work effectively.

Most would use a semi dry mix of concrete (sand, gravel and cement) to 'haunch' kerbs.
    Thanks Sonnenblumen.

Advertisement