Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MS dunmps Asterix from Skype integration

• 25-05-2011 11:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭

the announcement by Digium, sponsors of the widely-used Asterisk VoIP project, that they have been told they can no longer sell their Asterisk-Skype interaction module after July 26. That means it will become impossible for this VoIP PBX to connect to Skype.

http://blogs.computerworlduk.com/simon-says/2011/05/a-liberating-betrayal/index.htm
    Skype for Asterisk was developed by Digium in cooperation with Skype. It includes proprietary software from Skype that allows Asterisk to join the Skype network as a native client. Skype has decided not to renew the agreement that permits us to package this proprietary software. Therefore Skype for Asterisk sales and activations will cease on July 26, 2011.

http://now.eloqua.com/es.asp?s=491&e=162556

I wonder what will happen in the future when Skype users yet again can no longer connect to the rest of mankind outside their own 'community' using VOIP to VOIPor integrate into businesses using Asterix ?

Edit: Just spotted error in heading :( .. pity I cannot seem to amend the error

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

Boy that was fast!!! (M$ starts destroying skype)

Sad.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 vHOST

man i hate to see that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭lotas

Hmmm.... The Skype And Microsoft deal has not gone though, but everyone blames Microsoft for this... Weird... Anyway, if Microsoft do end up buying Skype, SIP support will probably be there for talking to Lync, etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

lotas wrote: »
    Hmmm.... The Skype And Microsoft deal has not gone though, but everyone blames Microsoft for this... Weird... Anyway, if Microsoft do end up buying Skype, SIP support will probably be there for talking to Lync, etc...

Have you considered that the most likely thing is that MS wanted no encumbrances when they offered to buy?

So yes their wishes would have a huge bearing on what Skype might do while negotiating and preparing for sale.

As this decision was apparently unexpected .... and one might say detrimental to Skype if no alternative is available there is good reason to suppose MS wishes are behind it.

Ok... Microsoft have their own VoIP system, lync or office communicator. This connects to pbx systems over sip. The digium system connects to asterisk over sip I think. Now, in one way, I will agree, killing this and releasing their own system would mean that if anbusiness wants Skype to talk to their pbx, the only software they could use is lync... But I propose a second theory... Just to play devils advocate here: what if Skype though that adding asterisk support would increase their outgoing call numbers and also be used for Skype on, but they found that instead, it was only increasing the Skype to Skype numbers, and there was very little revenue being made? Either that or Skype has an in-house version which would earn them more money (self selling it) and in theory would work with more than just asterisk (think the digum offering was asterisk only, iirc)...

• Advertisement

And another thing: Skype connect, which gives you a sip endpoint for Skype, is still alive and well... http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/business/skype-connect that should work with asterisk...

Advertisement