Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxigen want to set up on North Quays

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Something makes me think that really nobody is too pushed about stopping this on the basis that the place will be cleaned up (in their eyes) and it'll provide jobs which they later can celebrate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

This is all purely speculation on my part, but I reckon that the Council management have already decided that this waste facility will happen. The City Councillors have said "the decision is out of our hands". I would say that part of the waste management contract between the Council and Oxigen included something about this waste facility.

Someone from he Council said "the plan wouldn't involve environmental damage or bad smells" - that sounds to me like the Council think there is no problem and it should go ahead.

Source: http://www.wlrfm.com/news-and-sport/waterford-news/8218.html

The other interesting thing, as Max Powers mentioned, is that there is not an actual planning application, but a permit. Check this photo which was posted on the Ferrybank.ie website: http://www.ferrybank.ie/notices/Planning_Notice_web.jpg

I don't know too much about planning and permits but I think that a permit doesn't require approval from City Councillors whereas a planning application does, hence the "out of our hands" quote above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Have people made a submission to :

Waterford City Council,
    Planning Department,
    Menapia Building,
    The Mall,
    Waterford City

to object to the potential granting of a permit for use of North Wharf building as a waste facility??????
    resons to object: eyesore, smell, infestation, tourism negative, liquid run-off into river, waste escaping facility

Done it today myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Would'nt this be better done down at Bellview? Or would that be awkward, it being in Kilkenny? (answer, yes)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Max Powers wrote: »
    Have people made a submission to :

Waterford City Council,
    Planning Department,
    Menapia Building,
    The Mall,
    Waterford City

to object to the potential granting of a permit for use of North Wharf building as a waste facility??????
    resons to object: eyesore, smell, infestation, tourism negative, liquid run-off into river, waste escaping facility

Done it today myself.
    Does it cost anything to make a submission?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Does it cost anything to make a submission?

20euro IIRC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,691 ✭✭✭✭looksee

My understanding is that this is not a planning issue, just a permit, which is to be issued very soon, just before the Tall Ships arrive! It is unbelievable that the same authority that is doing so much for the development of the city is proposing to allow this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Waste transfer facility could be on city’s north quays for 48-years

[Article] http://www.waterford-news.com/news/mhojaugbid/

Also a very good letter in the News & Star from Joe Kelly
    =============================================
    Oxigen waste plan is bad business

THE Oxigen plan to locate a Bulk Waste facility on the North Quays is a very bad idea on a number of levels.

Firstly, it is disastrous from a visitor perspective as it will be an eyesore for tourists holidaying on cruise ships that would dock on our North Quays. I’m certain that many ships that would plan to dock in Waterford will quickly move elsewhere if this facility goes ahead.

It is disastrous from an environmental perspective with the risk of terrible smells emanating from the facility blowing across the city, the vermin that will be attracted by it is a health and safety hazard to everyone and for the residents of Ferrybank it is a massive step backwards considering the smells they have had to endure over many years from other activities in the area.

From a planning perspective it will be disastrous as what kind of planning authority would put a waste management facility in the heart of the city, directly opposite the main thoroughfare against I suggest the wishes of most people.

Finally, I believe it is bad business for Oxigen themselves. As an Oxigen customer I will withdraw my business from Oxigen in protest if this facility goes ahead and give my business to another provider. I will be writing to Oxigen directly to outline my position and I encourage others who feel like I do to do the same.

After all money talks and withdrawing your custom is the best way for the people of Waterford to show our opposition to this disgraceful proposal.

Hillview,
    Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Facts

Sully wrote: »
    20euro IIRC.

The facts are it costs NOTHING to make a submission on this transfer facility. It is not a planning issue its an environmental issue as it is a licence therefore people are invited to make comments.

if all the people who post here make a submission to the planning dept. im sure they can ignore all of us. I have done it, it costs nothing so get off your ar$es, sit back down again and write a letter.

PS then post the letter :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Max Powers wrote: »
    if all the people who post here make a submission to the planning dept. im sure they can ignore all of us. I have done it, it costs nothing so get off your ar$es, sit back down again and write a letter.

PS then post the letter :)

How do you go about doing this?

Go to Waterford City Council website, there is an email facility there for sending in a complaint. I have just sent one, I put it under the heading 'Environment'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

dont "waste" ya time they are using it already......

Image0860.jpg

Surely they are in breach of regulations and should be declined a waste permit and actually fined!!:mad:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Maybe it was already passed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭roco71

Without going into the rights & wrongs of the suitability of the location I would just like to say a few things about the most recent posts on this issue;

The headline in the News & Star is wrong and misleading, if you look at the application it says 24-48 months, not 48 years.

With regard to the picture of the truck at the shed, the only activity going on there is the parking of vehicles at night.

No decisions have been made by Waterford City Council on the permit as the date for submissions is the 23rd of June and then it will be 40 days after that before any decisions are announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

so parkin smelly trucks in there is classed as "non use"
    grand ill open a carpark on the green across the road...

roco71 wrote: »
    Without going into the rights & wrongs of the suitability of the location I would just like to say a few things about the most recent posts on this issue;

The headline in the News & Star is wrong and misleading, if you look at the application it says 24-48 months, not 48 years.

With regard to the picture of the truck at the shed, the only activity going on there is the parking of vehicles at night.

No decisions have been made by Waterford City Council on the permit as the date for submissions is the 23rd of June and then it will be 40 days after that before any decisions are announced.

are the trucks completely empty of waste - not even a scrap of paper left - if not it could be deemed to be "In-Use without a license"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Howdy Roco...

May I be so bold as to ask how you know all this?

Bards wrote: »
    are the trucks completely empty of waste - not even a scrap of paper left - if not it could be deemed to be "In-Use without a license"

sorry I am not an expert when it comes to the interpretation of the laws on that one but to the best of my knowledge the parking of vehicles regardless of being empty or not does not require a permit - perhaps the City Council could answer the concerns on this one.

• Advertisement

Howdy Roco...

May I be so bold as to ask how you know all this?

With regards to the timeframe of 24-48 months and not 48 years - this information is contained in the permit application

As for the parking, I know a chap who works there and he told me what the company (Oxigen) are doing there at present

Lastly, the deadline for the receipt of submissions and the timeframe for decisions are public knowledge. Any of the local councillors in Waterford or the City Council will give you this information. I hope this answers your questions.

I also want to add that I for one am not at all in favour of this permit application in this location. What I think is important is due to the sensivity of this and the concerns that the people of the City on both sides of the Bridge have about this issue that the correct information is posted.

I also want to add that I for one am not at all in favour of this permit application in this location. QUOTE]

Have you sent in an objection submission then?

While I have not yet made a submission, I have written to the company directly outlining reasons why this application is a bad idea

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Result!!!

Taken from Councillor Seamus Ryan's twitter

*RT @seamusryan1: Permit Application for Waste Transfer Facility on North Quays has been withdrawn by applicant #waterford #waterfordcitycouncil

I just got an email in response to my emailed objection to the City Council saying the proposal had been withdrawn.:)

The facts are this application has been withdrawn by oxigen following meetings with Waterford City Councillors!

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Facts wrote: »
    The facts are this application has been withdrawn by oxigen following meetings with Waterford City Councillors!

And your point is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,574 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Result!!!

Taken from Councillor Seamus Ryan's twitter

*RT @seamusryan1: Permit Application for Waste Transfer Facility on North Quays has been withdrawn by applicant #waterford #waterfordcitycouncil

Ship. well played all concerned

• Advertisement

Aquos76 wrote: »
    And your point is?

My point is this is great news & our councillors should be congratulated for using their influence, the fact is we're very quick to moan and complain about them when we want to!

Advertisement