Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Round Bale silage

• 25-05-2011 11:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭

Got quoted €10 per bale to do the following

Cut
    Bale
    Wrap

I supply the plastic myself.
    The cost of the plastic is €84 per role so that works out at €2.5 per bale on top
    does this price seem ridiculous? surly the costs aren't that high?I`m doing over 100 bales at a time.
    I feel I'm been riped off :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Grecco wrote: »
    Got quoted €10 per bale to do the following

Cut
    Bale
    Wrap

I supply the plastic myself.
    The cost of the plastic is €84 per role so that works out at €2.5 per bale on top
    does this price seem ridiculous? surly the costs aren't that high?I`m doing over 100 bales at a time.
    I feel I'm been riped off :mad:

no id say thats about the go of it, you may find another contractor who will do it a small bit cheaper but not much i would think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭charityboy

for cutting baling and wrap i would consider 8 euro a bale to be at the upper end of the scale it is possible to get better deals than that ,alot depends on the contractor and the baler he is running

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

no id say thats about the go of it, you may find another contractor who will do it a small bit cheaper but not much i would think

Ah lad come on, its working out at nearly €13 per bale thats very steep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Grecco wrote: »
    Ah lad come on, its working out at nearly €13 per bale thats very steep

dont forget to add fertilizer to it :)
    i should have said thats the go around my place anyway as far as i know, there seems to be big variance on price around the country though, I got volac plastic for 82 there lately, could have gotten quinn for 79 i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

dont forget to add fertilizer to it :)

Don't remind me I'm bad enough:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭kingelmo

Are ye all gone mad??!!

That price was grand a few years ago but not now between the price of diesel you wud wanna be adding another euro if not more to your price lad!!

Lads down here are ranging from €3.50 - €4.50!!

Up da price!!!!!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Doing 700+ bales a year and for this year we are being charged €10 for

cut
    bale
    wrap
    stack

The stack are all close to the fields - no great distance to travel. Would find it very hard to beat our contractor on price in our area, i think most are €1 dearer

Got a single roll of plastic for €83 from Glanbia a couple of weeks ago - hoping to knock a few quid off that when we buy the bulk of it

So the oringinal posters prices look to be the going rate for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

Makes 4x4 round bale 2010 hay at €17 great value, when you factor in the fertilizer cost on the baled silage this year, plus contractor and wrap.

Realistically round bales silage is costing €17 including wrap and fertilizer.

T

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Only cost i have for baling are diesel and plastic. Nitrogen is supplied by clover, machinery can't depreciate any more only cost is upkeep.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

what sort of baler....fusion ....7.50 down here
    20 acre to mow

plastic volac 80 roll this year

rake is 50 cent extra a bale

not mad about quinn plastic....very easy to tear and maybe one bale or to less a roll....adds up:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

8 euro a bale down here,includes mowing but supply your own plastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Agri contractor

We charge seperately for mowing 20+ vat. alot of our customers mow there own and then we rake it in. We alway keep everything priced seperately. We chare 9.25 to bale and wrap and supply palstic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭Get Cracking

Down in Mayo south the going rate is 5 euro,cut bale wrap and stack,supply ur own plastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

Down in Mayo south the going rate is 5 euro,cut bale wrap and stack,supply ur own plastic.

:eek::eek::eek:
    That will be hard to beat

Nitrigon is supplied by clover ,how does this work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭Micheal H

5 euro?? Either they've figured out a way to make tractors run on water, or they like working for free!

No water,my father uses them they were 5 euro last year.and their good lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Agri contractor

I wouder would them come down to Cork. I could leave my baler and mowers in the shed and some easy money:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Martin 83

There are about 20 different baling contractors within 10 miles of one another in south mayo. That helps to keep the prices down!;)

Thats very true,there is.there's no shortage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Martin 83 wrote: »
    There are about 20 different baling contractors within 10 miles of one another in south mayo. That helps to keep the prices down!;)

5 euro is surely below cost though. Why would any contractor undercharge and have to use his own money for the shortfall?????????????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Martin 83 wrote: »

my god thats great for farmers in that area.... a price war!! looks like its getting personal too for that price!!!! fair play though id give anyting to be getting near those prices:mad:

I dont know why they would charge that,what Martin said about the 10 contractors in one area ,i know 3 in one village and about 2 and a half miles away there is 3 more and their neighbours also.
    they might need cash flow?
    I remember last year a lot of people got them who dident use them before ,it was big talk at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

they could stop off in limerick on way to cork if they work for that!!!!!!!!!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

No water,my father uses them they were 5 euro last year.and their good lads.

Ah but I doubt the op's contractor was charging 10 euro last year so I'd say your man will go up to!

The joys of running your own kit :D

Il find out for ye lads,
    whats this about nitrogen in clover?:)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

Il find out for ye lads,
    whats this about nitrogen in clover?:)

Cheers,

In the roots of the clover plant there are nodules which contain Rhozobium bacteria, These bacteria can convert atmospheric Nitrogen into Nitrates which are a form of nitrogen to grow grass.
    I don't know is Clover a sufficient source of nitrogen to grow meadows though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭Pharaoh1

While clover is a help the cost of replacing the P + K taken by a crop of silage is significant.
    While slurry does not contain any significant quantity of N when spread in the Summer I use it to top up the P+K as I think it is still a bit cheaper than granulated especially in showery type weather.

My local contractor charged 10.50 per bale last year (mow, bale and wrap (incl plastic)). He would insist on the slow payer types buying their own plastic. I think he said he was thinking about 11 or 11.50 for this year or maybe adding a fuel surcharge to last year's price.
    If you were to use 3 bags of 18-6-12 at say 20 euro a bag (400 a ton) to either grow the crop (or replace the removed nutrients) and got the standard 12 bales to the acre then the fertiliser cost would add 5 euro in fertiliser costs.
    Cost of making bale would work out at 16 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Pharaoh1 wrote: »
    While clover is a help the cost of replacing the P + K taken by a crop of silage is significant.
    While slurry does not contain any significant quantity of N when spread in the Summer I use it to top up the P+K as I think it is still a bit cheaper than granulated especially in showery type weather.
    I only take light silage cuts 5-7 bales/acre. When grass goes to seed it takes a lot out of it. Obviously there will be a certain amount of grass going to seed but big bulky cuts have an effect on the grass.
    I switched from 750mm to 500mm plastic as it is cheaper, €2.28/bale:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tomdeere

5 euro ye won't be around for long if thats all ye charge,or else yer make small bales

Advertisement