Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

best bull for small herd

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

whelan1 wrote: »
    most sucklers are a bit protective straight after calving , we give the cow some nuts and tag the calf and blackleg it then too, easier to catch the calf when its just after been born

Are you not supposed to wait ~8weeks before giving blackleg vaccine? The maternal antibodies in the colostrum prevent the calf's immume system from developing immunity to the vaccine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

just do it wrote: »
    Are you not supposed to wait ~8weeks before giving blackleg vaccine? The maternal antibodies in the colostrum prevent the calf's immume system from developing immunity to the vaccine.

Just to follow up on this. I've read the data sheet and it looks like vaccinating at birth is fine. The reason you'd wait 10-12 weeks is if you've continued to vaccinate the cows. Injecting the cows 1-2 months (forget exact no of weeks) before calving will give the calf passive immunity through the cows milk.

So if like most people you don't continue to vaccinate adult animals, there doesn't seem to be a problem with giving the vaccine to the calf at birth. Sure makes sense to do it at the same time as tagging & dehorning;). I'm all for cutting out extra work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭ronman

just bought 3 angus x friesen heifers yesterday. all bucket reared and 2yo for breeding with pb angus bull. any openions on this breed of cow think they should have good calves and plenty of milk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Here's my opinion, for what it's worth.
    I would put FL 22 (Easy calving Lim) on them as maidens. I have a super Highlander cow from an AA dam.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭essgee268

FL22 have great cattle and easily calfed but very scarce, have a smashing 3 month old LSC AA calf from a 2yo heifer,will use him again even on mature cows if he is anything to go by.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

essgee268 wrote: »
    FL22 have great cattle and easily calfed but very scarce,

Is it the straws that are scarce or what?

I wonder how would the Blue BBQ would go on this type of heifer?

Advertisement