Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sugar for Cider Kit

Options
  • 25-05-2011 11:52am
    Subscribers Posts: 688 ✭✭✭

I plan to start a cider kit that I got at xmas in the next week or so. I can't make up my mind what sugars to use, what have people here tried or find works best? I was thinking of doing half dextrose half honey, and the same at priming. I'd like a nice amberish colour but not too much flavour imparted by the honey.. hence the half and half. Is there much of a difference in the dextrose and the granulated sugar, or is it just that the dextrose is more simple for the yeast?

Also, the kit I'm using - would it be wise to dump the yeast that came with it and buy another as it hasn't been refrigerated and has been sitting around since december?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

There should be a best before date on the sachet or the tin label,

Personally after trying brew sugar v's pressed store bought apple juice (superquinn)I found the store bought stuff the best flavour (or the most neutral anyway) think it was about 40ml per 500ml bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

I've used honey in cider and it seems to ferment completely without leaving a taste.

The more sugar or honey you use, the thinner the flavour of the finished product. I've started to use Malic acid to give it a bit more of an appley tang. Will find out how well it works in a couple of weeks.

And +1 for priming with juice. 250ml per gallon is what I use.

• Subscribers Posts: 688 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

Never thought of using juice to prime. Sounds good to me. The tin says best before 2012, nothing on the sachet, so maybe it will be fine. Although that seems a long time for a yeast to stay good.

It's fermenting away anyway so the yeast was grand.... I'll probably prime with 40ml juice per 500ml bottle and backsweeten with a little splenda.

Advertisement