Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Mebourne

Options
  • 25-05-2011 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi Guys,

I'm 20 and moving to Melbourne in a few weeks for 6 months to study. I just have a few questions that people may be able to answer.

Does anybody know a good hurling team to join in Melbourne?
    If so, when does the season start/finish? Is it very competitive?!

What is it like trying to find a part-time job in the city at the moment?

Does anybody know anything about student accomodation? It is quite expensive i've heard...

It's going to be winter when I arrive, but how does this compare to Ireland?!

Thanks for any help,

John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Don't know about hurling. There's lots of shops and fast food outlets with signs up looking for casual workers.
    It can be a bit chilly in the mornings. This week its about 14 degrees during the day according to my phone. Rains a bit too. Although doesn't seen to rain all day like at home. Quick showers mostly. Quite dull.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Student accommodation - search the noticeboards in the universities and look at gumtree online.

Is it uni you're going to, and if so, which one? That can influence where we would recommend. If you have access to letting references from previous landlords, bring them over with you.

Weather - currently it's double figures during the day and single overnight, it's grey, it rains sporadically and the windchill can be cold but not as freezing as coastal Ireland.

July will get colder, and July and August will most probably be very wet, very dull and pretty miserable. Seas high and grey, little sunshine, generally.

Shortest day is 21 June, but it's usually bright from 8am to 5pm, even in the depths of winter. We don't get long summer evenings like in Ireland, but we also don't get short winter days where it's dark by 3.30pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭haydar

I'm moving there myself in july.

Does anybody know a good/cheap company for sending my stuff after me?
    Not a lot though just two or three large boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

I can answers in terms of hurling teams.
    There are three teams, Shamrocks, Sinn Fein and Garryowen. Pretty good level but i dont play myslef ive only watched.
    And as far as i know the season runs from around february to july (ish)

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

haydar wrote: »
    I'm moving there myself in july.

Does anybody know a good/cheap company for sending my stuff after me?
    Not a lot though just two or three large boxes.

An Post, send it registered if its worth something to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭haydar

Does anybody know a good hostel for me and the other half to stay in until we can get a place?

Cheap and quiet if possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Claremont in south yarra. Can get a private room for same price as dorm. Handy if your going with oh. I stayed there for two weeks. Train station next door. Bout five minutes to city.

Advertisement