Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenants won't leave

Options
  • 25-05-2011 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hi Ive found myself in a situation when moving house. I found a house that i wanted to move my family into and put a deposit down on it 5 weeks ago. we gave our current landlord a months notice and we were told that we could move into the house on the 24th of this month. Yesterday with all out stuff packed and ready to go i get a call telling me that the other family wont move out of the house we are moving into at least for another week. Our current apartment has been rented and a couple are moving in this week so effectively making me and my family homeless for the time being.

The family that wont move only moved in in January but because they dont get on with the neighbours (religious differences) they told their landlord 2 months ago that they wanted to move out.

Does anyone have any advice on where I stand in all of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

At least speak to your own landlord and see if that couple can hold off moving in. You never know, they may be flexible, especially (cough, cough) given the right incentive!

I don't know where your new landlord stands with regard to booting the other crowd out, but have you threatened to rent elsewhere if you can't move in on the terms originally agreed? Ring around, there are plenty of properties empty. The threat might be enough.

Other than that, I really don't know (but I must say I sympathise with any landlord whose tenants don't get on with the neighbours over "religious differences" :eek::confused::rolleyes:). Really like, WTF? Sure it would make a good Liveline call, or barstool story...

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Hi Ive found myself in a situation when moving house. I found a house that i wanted to move my family into and put a deposit down on it 5 weeks ago. we gave our current landlord a months notice and we were told that we could move into the house on the 24th of this month. ?

Have you a signed contract with the date on it with your new landlord?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

i get a call telling me that the other family wont move out of the house we are moving into at least for another week
    <snip>
    religious differences
    <snip>
    Does anyone have any advice on where I stand in all of this?
    Look for another place. If you find one, tell the "new" landlord that you want the deposit back. It may be an incentive for him to get the finger out? It may not be his fault, but he may light a fire under the outgoing tenants. If they have given the landlord two months notice, and still not ready to move, I don't think they have a place sorted yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭blindasfcuk

Ya I have the lease agreement with the date of agreement as 1st of May and the date of commencement as the 24th of May. Estate agent promises me they will be out by tomorrow morning but he's been saying that to me for the last few days. One of the conditions we agreed on when we signed the agreement was that the place would be repainted and the furniture replaced as the family thats in there the place destroyed so I cant see that gettin sorted either.

The crowd that are moving out are shi'a muslims and the neighbours are sunni muslims so they cant bear the sight of each other apparently

the_syco wrote: »
    Look for another place. If you find one, tell the "new" landlord that you want the deposit back. It may be an incentive for him to get the finger out? It may not be his fault, but he may light a fire under the outgoing tenants. If they have given the landlord two months notice, and still not ready to move, I don't think they have a place sorted yet.

Ya I have another place arranged to view tonight but I think its only for a 6month lease so it would only be a bargaining tool and not a realistic option!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,394 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Tell the new landlord / agent in writing that unless things hare sorted promptly you will be holding them responsible for any costs you incur.

You can put your possession in storage and perhaps make a deal with a B&B about staying for a few days. Seriously consider finding another place though - ask the landlord and agent if they have anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

fricatus wrote: »
    At least speak to your own landlord and see if that couple can hold off moving in. You never know, they may be flexible, especially (cough, cough) given the right incentive!

I don't know where your new landlord stands with regard to booting the other crowd out, but have you threatened to rent elsewhere if you can't move in on the terms originally agreed? Ring around, there are plenty of properties empty. The threat might be enough.

Other than that, I really don't know (but I must say I sympathise with any landlord whose tenants don't get on with the neighbours over "religious differences" :eek::confused::rolleyes:). Really like, WTF? Sure it would make a good Liveline call, or barstool story...
    Best of luck!

The landlord has no options except to go to the PRTB. However, the PRTB may well take months, if not a year or more to resolve a case of overholding, though they say that they give preference to overholding claims. Though, he could offer the current tenant an incentive to leave ......
    However, the landlord should not have signed a lease with another party until the property was vacant.

Victor wrote: »
    Tell the new landlord / agent in writing that unless things hare sorted promptly you will be holding them responsible for any costs you incur.

Ya i sent him an email and a letter today detailing everything that was agreed and that he is responsible for any costs incurred. I also got through to threshold and they are taking it up with the agent tomorow for us but they basically said that because we have a signed and dated lease we the other tennents are effectively trespassing. Im not sure how far they will get but I have managed to get my current landlord to give us a few extra days grace so hopefully this gets sorted before the weekend.

Advertisement