Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell's U2410 - is there anything better?

Options
  • 25-05-2011 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I currently have a U2410. I'm wondering if there's something better out there. Specifically, maybe an LED-backed IPS monitor?

A few requirements:
    VESA mounting - this is a must.
    24"+ - my current monitor is a 24, so I'd not like any smaller, though something bigger is perfectly fine too.
    IPS - after having an IPS monitor over a TN, I don't really want to go back.
    LED - the only thing I'm not 100% happy with is the contrast ratio of this monitor.
    16x10 - I can go 16x9 if I have to, but I prefer having the little extra vertical space.

Uses:
    Everything really. Gaming, movies, TV, Photoshop, web-browsing, programming...

Budget:
    I don't really have a definite figure. I'll impose a rough limit of €500 or so. Oh, and second-hand monitors are up for consideration also. :)

Thanks all,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

What will you be using if for?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

*facepalm*, yeah, guess I should have mentioned that.

A bit of everything. Gaming, movies, TV, Photoshop, web-browsing, programming...

Oh, and I don't really have too much of a budget. I'd say around the €500 mark would be as much as I'd consider paying.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

AFAIK there's nothing better than CCFL-HIPS other than bespoke RGBLED-HIPS industrial monitors that cost thousands to buy and even more to calibrate (owing to the fact you have three variables to tweak for the backlighting!). WLED-HIPS has its fans, but technically speaking, they're n00bs. Displays such as the new WLED-backlit Apple monitors may look brighter but are actually inferior to CCFL-based Hyper IPS panels as the bluish backlight actually reduces gamut, reducing colour accuracy. Plus they're still expensive as heck :p

Best bet is to see if you can find a professional calibration service or see if you can rent the gear (i.e. colorimeter for starters) to calibrate the heck out of your current HIPS panel. Bear in mind that for pro colour reproduction brighter =! better!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Thanks the the input. I hadn't realised the LED-backed displays suffered from a blue hue.

Hmm.. well, if my U2410 is pretty much the best thing going, I'll just have to get a second one! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭heid

The Dell U3011 are expensive, so just get another U2410. I have the Dell U2311H, the Dell IPS range are good :).

• Advertisement
Advertisement