Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Ravenhill - Plans & Images

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭MonsterMob

The govrenment up there gave them close to £15m so at least the have the cash for it:

http://www.espnscrum.com/celticleague-2010-11/rugby/story/136161.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

£4million i think is what's being quoted on the architects website for upgrades to ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

theboss80 wrote: »
    £4million i think is what's being quoted on the architects website for upgrades to ground.

The final cost will be in the region of £18,000,000 when all the stands are complete. All the money is ready for use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Where exactly is Ravenhill in relation to Belfast City centre? I was in Belfast over Christmas for the first time in my life :o and I thought it was a very nice town. I loved getting different types of banknotes every time I spent some money - how cool is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Dub.

Looks really cool. Would be nice to have a standing area at Lansdowne.

The short end perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

Where exactly is Ravenhill in relation to Belfast City centre? I was in Belfast over Christmas for the first time in my life :o and I thought it was a very nice town. I loved getting different types of banknotes every time I spent some money - how cool is that?

It's about 3 miles out of town, in East Belfast. It's a great place to watch a game, have been a season ticket holder for the past 2 seasons and have always been made feel welcome... despite my Munster accent ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭pajunior

Dub. wrote: »
    Looks really cool. Would be nice to have a standing area at Lansdowne.

The short end perhaps?

I'm sure the IRFU would have preferred that but the FAI can't have any terrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Dub.

pajunior wrote: »
    I'm sure the IRFU would have preferred that but the FAI can't have any terrace.

They could have removed the seats for the rugby games surely, just like they did in the old ground,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

Nice to be able to get a handout like that

Nice to be able to get a handout like that

The 'handout' came at a very great cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

jacothelad wrote: »
    The 'handout' came at a very great cost.

Explain

Explain

Well the money was set aside as part of the peace process. The cost of the troubles to the U.K.has had an actuarial cost estimate of about £300,000,000,000. Three hundred BILLION. Billions that would have been spent on infrastructure and businesses in N.I. were diverted into patching us up after something like 16,000 bombs. That is without the cost to society in ruined lives.

Originally there was, as you know a plan to create a circa £120,000,000 stadium at the Maze near Lisburn for the three main field sports. £3,000,000 was spent on planning and design works. The whole thing was ill concieved, particularly when it had built into it, a political dimension. No politics in sport as far as I'm concerned. Ulster ended up getting £15,000,000 for Ravenhill instead , GAA - £60,000,000 for Casement Park and the dribbling morons at the IFA get £60,000,000. I think apart from anything else, we got a little less than was fair and less than we deserved. GAA and soccer have a much bigger participation and following so it's fair that they should get the lions share. I do think a fairer division would have been:
    Rugby - £25,000,000,
    G.A.A. - £55,000,000,
    Soccer - £55,000,000.

Some of that money could have been used to upgrade / refurbish a ground in Derry or elsewhere outside the greater Belfast region to help with the development of the game in Donegal, Tyrone, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

It's about 3 miles out of town, in East Belfast. It's a great place to watch a game, have been a season ticket holder for the past 2 seasons and have always been made feel welcome... despite my Munster accent ;)

Distance from city centre is one of the problems with Ravenhill which is a great venue with super atmosphere. Nearest train station (Central) is almost 2 miles away and there is problem with parking so a park and ride facility is made available on match nights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭Son of Stupido

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

How it will look from an aerial view

Aj7ZAE-CEAAowbX.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭cp

Think that looks great in fairness, Should be right up there with Thomond in terms of facilities as well. More great progress for Irish Rugby

One question for those that are familiar; (never been to Ravenhill) is there really only one entrance to the ground (via carpark side) and if so, does/will that not get a bit chaotic, especially with 50% increase in capacity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

cp wrote: »
    Think that looks great in fairness, Should be right up there with Thomond in terms of facilities as well. More great progress for Irish Rugby

One question for those that are familiar; (never been to Ravenhill) is there really only one entrance to the ground (via carpark side) and if so, does/will that not get a bit chaotic, especially with 50% increase in capacity?

There's two entrances, one has no traffic allowed around match time apart from buses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭jack01986

Will be a nice stadium when finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Delighted for Ulster rugby, their development over the last two seasons has been so significant and are making a fine contribution to the Irish squad in Best, Trimble and Ferris. With the fine talent coming through in the academy too looks like Ulster rugby is on the up for the coming years.

The 2nd pot seeding in ERC is going to be vital too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Latest of both end stands at Ravenhill. Great to see terraces being included. RDS take note..

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.469389246473513.1073741844.126216190790822&type=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Looks great, will be a fine ground when complete. Ashamed to say I've never been up there yet, may try to get in the Munster game next season.

Advertisement