Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a gtx590

Options
  • 25-05-2011 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

I have a friend who is currently in asia and is willing to pick up a graphics card for me. I wanted a gtx590 and he found ones but they are not branded as nvidia. He says its the same chipset and specs as the nvidia branded one just in a different case. Has anyone had experience buying cards like this?

From what he says, its basically the same card just in a different case and packaging. Should i still buy it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

steve_ wrote: »
    I have a friend who is currently in asia and is willing to pick up a graphics card for me. I wanted a gtx590 and he found ones but they are not branded as nvidia. He says its the same chipset and specs as the nvidia branded one just in a different case. Has anyone had experience buying cards like this?

From what he says, its basically the same card just in a different case and packaging. Should i still buy it?

I wouldnt get any 590 tbh as they have had issues with them.
    Some e-tailers have stopped selling them too.

Leaving that aside there not good value for money imo anyway.You can get better bang for buck buying two single cards and xfiring/sli'ing them.
    If you dont mind noise and want a single top end card the ati 6990 is just a small bit faster than the 590 while being a fair bit cheaper,oh and it doesn't go boom :P

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

Thanks for your reply. Have you got any suggestions in relation to the card not being nvidia branded. He found a place that stock many cards but none are branded despite have the official chipset inside

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Thanks for your reply. Have you got any suggestions in relation to the card not being nvidia branded. He found a place that stock many cards but none are branded despite have the official chipset inside

Does he mean not branded at all :eek:, or branded by a manufacturing partner such as ASUS, Saphire, XFX etc :)

If the former it sounds like it could potentially be a little dodgy?, if the latter that is pretty normal (Although the board partners should certainly still have some official NVidia branding on their packaging)

It might be like the cards you see on e-tailers.No actual logo on the card but it is an actual legit card.

Saying that is it worth the risk that it might be dodgy?

What happens if card is legit but becomes faulty how are you going to return it?

Wouldn't risk it if it was me.

Yea true if anything went pop i wouldnt have a leg to stand on. Maybe ill reconsider. Ill try find out exactly whether its branded by any other company

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

game4it70 wrote: »
    Wouldn't risk it if it was me.

All depends on the price :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

if the price was right i would concider it.

OP, what are the prices?

and are you willing to bring back more than 1? XD

i was gonna get him to bring back a few, they are 200 lower then RRP. he isnt back for a while yet though

i was gonna get him to bring back a few, they are 200 lower then RRP. he isnt back for a while yet though
    what is RRP?

You know the saying "if its to good to be true......."
    Thats what it sounds like to me but if you do go ahead and get one or a few good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

@ Tea Bag - RRP = Recommended Retail Price.

Actually, I've been to Singapore, and you can find stuff that cheap easily, the only problem is that usually they're parts nabbed from the factory, so they're completely unbranded, and completely without warranty.

If they work, fantastic, but if they don't - which is relatively unlikely - you're fooked.

Usually in these kinds of places, there's guys in shops putting together rigs for one reason or another. My advise is to get your friend to buy a 590, and throw €20 at someone building a rig to toss the card in and see if it works.

Serephucus wrote: »
    @ Tea Bag - RRP = Recommended Retail Price.

Actually, I've been to Singapore, and you can find stuff that cheap easily, the only problem is that usually they're parts nabbed from the factory, so they're completely unbranded, and completely without warranty.

If they work, fantastic, but if they don't - which is relatively unlikely - you're fooked.

Usually in these kinds of places, there's guys in shops putting together rigs for one reason or another. My advise is to get your friend to buy a 590, and throw €20 at someone building a rig to toss the card in and see if it works.
    i know what RRP stands for, i should have said: what is the RRP? im reading €545 exc. tax? OP, what will you actually be paying for these cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

i have to say that from my experience, (very) high end cards are not that common to be found in walk-in shops in asia because of the high price tag for the locals (500e is like 1k+ singapore dollar, 2k+ Ringgit Malaysia, 4+ china RMB), you usually need to preorder from them and many of them wouldnt even stock in for you unless you buy a bunch of them. and if they really sell them, they give you all the receipt+warranty etc because of the price tag. your friend could be one of those 'tourist customer' that aimed by the bad business practice seller.

Advertisement