Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with slow growth/clover in new lawn

Options
  • 25-05-2011 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

Hi all...
    Sewed new lawn in September 09 and the past 2 winters have been very harsh on it.
    I mulch my lawn with a ride-on due to lack of area to dispose of grass etc and i imagined this would only enhance the growth of the grass.
    The lawn in general got a fair burning with the frost this past winter and whilst most of the grass has started to grow well since spring there is a lot of dead growth. Also i have a serious problem with clover and in general weeds within the grass.
    I went out yesterday evening and threw some fertiliser on the slow-growing/dead areas and i hope that will solve problem one but just wondering could anyone advise what i should do with weeds/clover growing on the lawn also? Would i get something to put into a budget to spray on the lawn or what do ye recommend?

Thanks
    J

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

clover is leguminous - i.e. it actually enriches the soil. it's not unknown to grow it as a lawn, but it's not to everyone's taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

I'm open to correction on these points but:-
    I believe mulching the lawn causes clover to spread.

Also clover grows were the lawn is low on nitrogen. Once the soils nitrogen's level rises, it shouldn't thrive as much.

I have a lot of clover, and I have to say its nice and green. Never bothered trying to get rid of it, but their are chemical sprays you can get to kill it.

Advertisement