Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bathroom/electrical

• 25-05-2011 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

Small two bed semi built 2003.

I'm going to fit a shaver socket (transformer type) in upstairs bathroom and then later an infrared wall heater.
    Electrically speaking at the moment there is only one standard ceiling light in the bathroom and I was hoping to take supply for shaver from that but it is not covered by RCD and I think it may be a requirement to have shaver outlet covered by RCD.

If it is a requirement then I will probably fit an FCU (‘switched’ fused connection unit) and feed it from bedroom socket behind wall. The first question is can I put the FCU high up on wall in bathroom (in what used to be called zone3) and somehow run heater 'and' shaver from it.

Re FCUs I recently read the following on another DIY site: The unswitched type must only be used if the appliance has it’s own on & off switch. I don’t quite understand why this is as I would have thought the switched FCU would have been safer in all cases for isolation purposes when required.

See also the pics of the wiring above in attic which supplies the light. This is the original installation at time of house build. My guess is that it would be more appropriate for a junction box there to facilitate those and perhaps more connections.

Your thoughts are welcome.
    Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

A mod might move this to the electrical forum for you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭the watchman

snyper wrote: »
    A mod might move this to the electrical forum for you ;)

had it in there but this is a DIY so I moved it to here.

Advertisement