Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice place to live outside Dublin city?

Options
  • 25-05-2011 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I'm starting college in Ballyfermot in September, and want to live up in Dublin, but all the areas around Ballyfermot seem a bit dodgy.

I don't want to live somewhere that would take me ages to get to, I just want somewhere nice where I can walk around without the fear of getting stabbed.

I've been looking at Rathmines, Rathgar, Ranelagh, Terenure, Dartry and Harold's Cross, these all seem like nice places but is there any other places that might suit me?? Any suggestions??
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

For Ballyfermot Inchicore/Kilmainham is v.handy and quite nice to live in. Near Luas, buses etc. Handy for M50 and all that craic, and the BEST noodles in Dublin (New Land!)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 rebeccadeegan

People have said to me that Inchicore is really dodgy though, it would be so handy though cos its so close to Ballyfermot, I'll have a look anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

People have said to me that Inchicore is really dodgy though, it would be so handy though cos its so close to Ballyfermot, I'll have a look anyway :)

Certain estates in Inchicore are dodgy!
    I live around Kimainham and it's a grand place to live.
    Havn't been chased by a knife - wielding lunatic yet ;)
    Rathmines,Rathgar and harold's cross are nice places to live and you are on the 18 bus route but it's an awful journey at rush hour. It takes forever. I know as I used to take the 18 from Rathmines to Ballyfermot a few years back. It was just endless :(

For Ballyfermot consider these places for renting (all within a very short commuting distance). Palmerstown ,Chapelizod , Islandbridge and Kilmainham and you are pretty close to town too.

Palmerstown ,Chapelizod , Islandbridge

Are any of them places dodgy?? Do you hear of many stabbings / robberies in them areas??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Palmerstown ,Chapelizod , Islandbridge

Are any of them places dodgy?? Do you hear of many stabbings / robberies in them areas??

There all grand areas to live in, you should also look at Clondalkin, some nice areas there to, I can easily recommend parts to rent in and parts to avoid in Clondalkin, dont forget also your budget is a major factor on were you live or cant live.

As for stabbings/robberies I think you need to relax a bit, no matter were you live in Dublin there wont be stabbings/robberys everyday in your face but also no matter were you live will it be crime free its part of the territory when living in a major city.

• Advertisement

There all grand areas to live in, you should also look at Clondalkin, some nice areas there to, I can easily recommend parts to rent in and parts to avoid in Clondalkin, dont forget also your budget is a majpr factor on were you live or cant live.

Yeah that'd be great if you could tell me the nice areas in Clondalkin?

I want to move out with my boyfriend, neither of us have full time jobs as of yet but we are searching and trying to save, I think the very most we could afford would be €700 per month on rent between us.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭danwhite88

Have a look in neilstown. Nice quiet place. Good bus service to and from ballyfermot.

Yeah that'd be great if you could tell me the nice areas in Clondalkin?

I want to move out with my boyfriend, neither of us have full time jobs as of yet but we are searching and trying to save, I think the very most we could afford would be €700 per month on rent between us.

Ignore Neilstown anyway far from quiet thats a no go. If you looking in Clondalkin look at Monastery, Monastery Rise, Monastery Heath, Monastery Gate, Floraville, Newlands, Cappaghmore, St Brigids, Oakwood, Ashwood, Alpine.

Only problem is at 700 euro im not positive but I think youll be pushing it in most parts of Dublin. I could be wrong though.

Rebbeca: I hope for your sake that you are not from Limerick? ;)
    I think you are worrying unnecessarily. Just find yourself a decent place on a good public transport link to make sure you don't have any long walks on a Winters evening.
    Good Public transport links and shops within walking distance are what you should be looking for.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chapelizod
    danwhite88 wrote: »
    Have a look in neilstown. Nice quiet place. Good bus service to and from ballyfermot.

N.B If you are from the country then personally I would avoid Neilstown ;)
    ya might want to check this recent thread out!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056223108

Just had a look on daft.ie there, it has two aprtments for rent in Clondalkin at 700 both one bedroom apartments.

Like this onehttp://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1046933

Its in a good location, Clondalkin village is only 5 mins away and has everything thered that youd need as in shops, banks, pubs etc.

Im not to sure about the apartment block itself always hard to tell best bet is go have a look at it, and while your there try suss out what the nighbours are like etc.

• Advertisement

Ignore Neilstown anyway far from quiet thats a no go. If you looking in Clondalkin look at Monastery, Monastery Rise, Monastery Heath, Monastery Gate, Floraville, Newlands, Cappaghmore, St Brigids, Oakwood, Ashwood, Alpine.

Only problem is at 700 euro im not positive but I think youll be pushing it in most parts of Dublin. I could be wrong though.

Ok cool I'll check out them areas :)

And yeah you're right there, it's very hard to get anything for €700, all the decent apartments are more expensive and I just can't afford it :(

Just had a look on daft.ie there, it has two aprtments for rent in Clondalkin at 700 both one bedroom apartments.

Like this onehttp://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1046933

Its in a good location, Clondalkin village is only 5 mins away and has everything thered that youd need as in shops, banks, pubs etc.

Im not to sure about the apartment block itself always hard to tell best bet is go have a look at it, and while your there try suss out what the nighbours are like etc.

Thanks very much :) looks like a nice apartment, definitely one of the better ones I've seen, I've seen a load of really dire ones ha this one looks good though.

Sundew wrote: »

Both them places seem grand too, and you're right about the transport thing, I'm gonna look for places that are close to buses / Luas, then I won't have to worry about getting beat up walking home ha

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Either Palmerstown or Chapelizod are the two places that come to mind. Both are very close to Ballyfermot and have a direct bus route, which is handy (the 26, every 30mins). You'll get minor crimes on occasion anywhere you go, but these places are in general fairly safe. So long as you have a bit of cop on of course... I wouldn't go for a walk just for the sake of it at night (not that you'd get stabbed or shot!), but generally it's grand.

I'd avoid Neilstown though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

woodchuck wrote: »
    Either Palmerstown or Chapelizod are the two places that come to mind. Both are very close to Ballyfermot and have a direct bus route, which is handy (the 26, every 30mins). You'll get minor crimes on occasion anywhere you go, but these places are in general fairly safe. So long as you have a bit of cop on of course... I wouldn't go for a walk just for the sake of it at night (not that you'd get stabbed or shot!), but generally it's grand.

I'd avoid Neilstown though...

Yes, avoid Neilstown!

Palmerstown is fine, it's quiet and there are lots of buses to take you into Ballyfermot and town.

Chapelizod is also really nice and you can walk to Ballyfermot from there.

Inchicore is ok, it has its diamonds in the rough, I've been there 4 years and nothing bad has ever happened to me! For a bit of a more country feel Chapelizod has lovely greenery and is very close to Phoenix park, would be handy for summer time walks etc. and Palmerstown is but a stones throw from it, both are a lot more leafy suburban than Inchicore is.

PS.... Clondalkin is a lot more concrete (ish!) the village and monastery estate is nice, but for convenience sake I'd try find a place in the other two areas first (and for me being close to Phoenix park in summer is a huge bonus!!)...

Good luck with your studies!!

Thanks guys, I'll definitely look in Chapelizod, seems fair handy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭few cans?

I've a few friends that were living in around Ballyfermot last year, and they didnt seem to have any problems. Having long distances to travel for college, and factoring in say parties in friends houses who may be also a good distance away can really take from the whole college experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭anndub

The college is a good trek from the luas. A good half hour walk so I wouldn't pick a location based on that. Stick to the buses.

Advertisement